Dogs and sleeping options

Submitted: Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 22:50
ThreadID: 130362 Views:2060 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have inherited Dad's 2 small dogs. We would like to continue in the caravan be it free camping or caravan parks. Our start off idea is to Jurien Bay from Perth.
We realise step one will be getting them used to travelling more than 20 kms at a time, we are not going to get anywhere at that rate.

Second problem, one dog is about 12 yo and piddles for attention or defiance inside the house, no rhyme nor reason. He knows he does wrong because he hides, but cannot deter this behaviour.

So, they won't be in the caravan much, only under strict surveillance. They sleep out in their kennel at night and have inside beds for day sleeps.

Got a large child wooden play pen. So thought we'll take them to the beach park for a picnic and try with the playpen. (That's a two in one, drive and play)

Our problem is the night time sleep arrangements, (not in the caravan - want to sell and upgrade) plus they wriggle fiddle and snort all night. Taking the kennel is a bit hard. What is the solution? Welcome feed back and ideas

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 23:14

Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 23:14
Gonefish, have a talk to these people (link below) about re-training the dogs to improve their bad behaviour. These people are guns at their game and the results they produce are nothing short of amazing.

Stepdaughter has two little dogs she saved from the pound (interestingly, their owner was killed by a flying 4WD towbar when a snatch strap ripped it off) - and those little dogs were quite badly behaved, aggressive for no reason, always barking, and generally being a PIA.
Bark Busters sorted them right out, and you wouldn't think they're the same dogs if you'd met them before.

Cheers, Ron.

Bark Busters
AnswerID: 590573

Reply By: Member - MARIC - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 08:35

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 08:35
Hi Gonefish, we have 3 dogs, jack russell, border collie and a kelpie, when caravanning, they either sleep in a small tent OUTSIDE of the van or in the back of the ute which has a canopy.
With regard to piddling, our previous dog now departed also had the piddles, it comes with age, they know they have done it and feel guilty. Suggest a visit to the vet incase of a bladder infection. We also have a cat on the farm, which we try to keep outside, it sneaks in and piddles in the bloody shower recess, or the jack russells kennel in the courtyard
Goodluck and all the best
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 590582

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 10:28

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 10:28
Vet check to make sure there is not an underlying health issue like diabetes or something else if all clear it could be because it is anxious, big changes for them sounds like. for bedding check out http://www.snooza.com.au they are very helpful and have some great products. If the little one is anxious try a thunder shirt they work well http://www.thundershirt.com . There are lots of products out there to make travelling with your pet easier like no spill water bowls / poo bags / even folding fences. We travel with our pets all the time and wouldn't have it any other way. There is a good paid camp site just north of Jurien Bay by the beach at Sandy Cape.
AnswerID: 590589

Reply By: Cheryl & Ian (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 15:48

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 15:48
Hi Gonefish,

The little dog's piddling problem could be either a behavioural or physical problem, and as others have suggested a vet check should be undertaken. It is not a defiance or attention problem, this is putting human emotions on the dog's behaviour (anthopomorphism). If it is a behavioural problem it is most likely anxiety based and punishing the dog will only make it worse.

Off course there could be another reason and that is a training issue. Did the dog piddle in your dad's house? If so, it was never taught to toilet outside. Dogs don't know its right or wrong to piddle inside/outside. Through proper toilet training they develop a surface and location preferance, ie outside on grass.

I would recommend you seeking the services of a behavioural trainer if it turns out not to be a physical problem. I can strongly recommend a trainer from the Delta Society. They use reward based training and are also qualified to help with behaviour issues, not just training issues. So they will also be able to help you desensitise the dogs to the car and the other activities, noises, etc associated with life on the road.

In regards to sleeping you can buy portable kennels/crates as well as doggy pens.

BTW I am a vet nurse as well as a behavioural trainer so I do have some knowledge to backup my thoughts.

Good on you for taking on these dogs, and all the best for happy travels with them.

Cheryl

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 590604

Reply By: Member - gonefish - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 19:04

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 19:04
OK, thanks for the vet advice and the trainers against barking. We have written that chapter. Vet says as the dog urinates in full outside, and piddles little when no one insight inside the house, and then hides when we come back (which is the same as he did at Dad's house) and the fact he is about 10 years old - he is being naughty. Vet says the dog will continue to train us to wipe the piddle up.

Have found the collapsible/carry type kennel on ebay and they have roller blinds as well. That will be the go. We can put that in the play pen, and make a wrap around screen for at night so they can't see the passers by.

We'll continue with the short drives, and a suggestion was made always to walk the dogs first when coming from the house, not straight into the car.

It will be interesting to see who wears each other down first.
We like Sandy Cape, may try a little closer or lots of stops on the way - after the school holidays. Cheers to all.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 590614

Sponsored Links