Help Needed!

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 06:25
ThreadID: 130390 Views:2819 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Please all sign this to avoid one of Australia's best caravan parks being removed!

https://www.change.org/p/sunshine-coast-council-save-mooloolaba-ocean-beach-caravan-park?recruiter=388412704&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sigmund - Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 08:08

Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 08:08
What's your connection with the park Karina?
AnswerID: 590680

Reply By: gke - Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 08:38

Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 08:38
On the other hand the same people book out that park way in advance and few others ever get the chance to visit in any holiday season. I live on the Sunshine Coast and I camp but I am glad change is proposed, it is long overdue in my opinion.
Cheers, Graham.
AnswerID: 590681

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 08:52

Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 08:52
This doesn’t appear to be a caravan park in a prime position falling to property developers, which tends to be the case in many instances especially where returns versus capital outlays don’t stack up in favour of continuing as a caravan park.

A closer read of the council’s draft management plan for the future of Mooloolaba indicates it is looking to develop this into parkland and walkways providing greater access to the foreshore for all.

And it does appear to have community support.

Perhaps if one views this through a different lens it could be suggested this is a progressive council giving land back to the people for greater community benefit and not to some greedy property developer who has the ear of the council’s elected representatives.

And how often does that happen!!!

Possibly there is some risk that if it continues in its present form developers will pressure for its rezoning for “development” in the future – which usually benefits a few, rather than the broader community.

Only commenting because it caught my eye – Mrs Landy and I spent much time on the Sunshine Coast in our care-free youth days. What could be so wrong about creating parkland for the masses to enjoy this beautiful part of the Sunshine State?

I’m sure the petition is well intentioned, but with anything like this don’t be overcome by emotion, take the time to read the council’s plan as you may come to the conclusion that parkland benefits the broader community, rather than a few holiday makers getting cheap holiday accommodation…

Good luck over the deliberations…and noting that if I have misread this entirely I will no doubt hear about it!

Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 590682

Follow Up By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 14:28

Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 14:28
Baz, the wealthy unit owners who live in the high rise over the road want it gone and have for years. This is a narrow strip of land already in the middle of park land that is already there for people to enjoy.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 858721

Reply By: Karina B1 - Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 09:07

Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 09:07
Thank you for your interest.

There is in fact a lot of exisiting parkland in Mooloolaba that could indeed be rejuvenated and redesigned to make it more user friendly. At present there is a large section that is basically unusable by the masses due to its poor design.

I commend the council for wanting to rejuvenate the area but it doesn't need to come at a cost to an iconic landmark. This park is full for most of the year, frustrating for those wanting to get into it, but since when should something's popularity warrant its closure?

At current the area is zoned a coastal hazard so I'm not sure it's a prime spot for building high rises or the like anyway. That aside, the caravanning industry is a booming one one in this country and a town based on tourism would do well to cater to that. Other parks in the area have also been diminished in size over the years and are filled to capacity as well.

A public caravan park and a public beach in front is exactly that, usable by the public. Not everything has to be built on and made sterile, links to the past, especially those encouraging community style holidays are of utmost importance also.
AnswerID: 590683

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 10:07

Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 10:07
Well, it is usable by a limited number of people presently, given it can only accommodate around 30-35 vans, as I understand it.

Given the small size of it, some will be able to access this park, but the masses won’t be able to, even if they wanted given it is booked out so far in advance.

Is this the best use of this land for the broader community?

Through its Draft Management Plan the council appears to be addressing the “poor design” of current land use and this includes opening this area to parkland. It is quoted as saying opening up the caravan park to parkland affords the opportunity develop a walkway to Alexandra Headland.

I think it is refreshing to see something being given back to the masses rather than a developer, or retaining it for the benefit of a limited number of people.

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 858707

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 11:26

Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 11:26
I live just several kilometres from this location and frequent the Mooloolaba precinct.

I won't take sides here in this issue but will point out that the proposed removal of this caravan park is but a small component in the continuing development of the Mooloolaba area.
This proposed development is detailed in the Mooloolaba Master Plan here and here.

Mooloolaba has developed and changed much in the 100+ years since my wife's grandparents took a horse & cart (plus the farm cow) down from Buderim for a couple of week's annual holiday. Open spaces have given over to development, some good, some not so. Camping areas and caravan parks are typically established in real estate locations of low cost and disappear as development progresses for areas become suburban rather than rural. It is a natural part of our growing society. At the same time our increasing mobility permits access to more distant camp areas than was available to Roz's grandparents together with the cow! lol

Certainly some will be disadvantaged and others will benefit. It is the purpose of the Master Plan to determine the best outcome for the public and community consultation, comment and submissions form part of the procedure. It is a more appropriate procedure than mounting petitions to be signed by persons distant and mostly uninformed.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 590691

Sponsored Links