Gasmate cookers

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 11:14
ThreadID: 130393 Views:2768 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have read where Gasmate has supposedly modified their cookers and they are again on sale at Bunnings. As someone who has never had a problem with the older models I would consider purchasing this "new one" if I could be convinced there is indeed modifications made and if so how is the changes recognised. I have used a hot plate measuring 400 x 350 for a couple of years which according to the forum contributors should not be used, and I am at a loss to know why. However I bow to popular opinion and at the price of around $34 I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade if I knew that there was an upgrade and how I would recognise it..
Can anyone enlighten me on this subject. (And I suspect many others in my boat).
Cheers
BillM
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 11:26

Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 11:26
It has the covering over the gas bottle changed because the reason they were blowing up was that people were putting too big a pot or as in your case a plate and it was overheating the canister. Also if not screwed up tight could ignite the leaking gas.

This will explain better

https://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/mining/safety-and-health/alerts-bulletins-search/alerts-bulletins/petroleum-gas/butane-gas-cookers
AnswerID: 590692

Follow Up By: TomH - Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 11:37

Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 11:37
Write up on the new one listing differences All found with our best friend Mr Google

http://www.expeditionaustralia.com.au/2015/08/first-impressions-new-gasmate-butane-stoves/
FollowupID: 858713

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 12:30

Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 12:30
Thanks for the link to the review Tom. That's real handy.

Seems like Gasmate have been the first to apply common sense to the problem and got them back on the market. A little more exxy this time but I'll be getting one poste haste.

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 858716

Reply By: bill m - Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 12:40

Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 12:40
Thanks Tom, the write up by Steve Baile and the accompanying diagrams shows how to identify the differences between original and modified versions. However the accompanying comments from users re the size of cooking appliances, then the questions re the sizes of the BarBQue plates that are sold with these models, casts a lot of doubts as to the safety of using the old model. I will get a new model, keep using my 400 x 350 plate on top and see what transpires. I can't convince myself that the perceived problem with the old models wasn't simply misuse. It's a shame that those that indeed had a problem didn't put out some info as to what actually caused the problem.
Cheers
BillM
AnswerID: 590698

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 13:52

Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 13:52
Bill, while it may be hard to know exactly why some failed, one idea was the radiated heat from a overhanging edge of a pan ( or hotplate) was forcing heat down ( instead of up ) onto the gas canister and valve area, which was twofold.....either the canister overheated and exploded or the valve area overheated and failed, letting gas escape and catching fire ( or exploding ).

The new updated models haven't fixed the idea of this radiated heat, but supposedly have fixed the safety valve to shut off properly if overheating occurs.

I still use an old stove, but mine wasn't on the list of undesirables !!....but I ( like you should do as well ) feel the gas canister while cooking to make sure it doesn't get warm or hot.

And I also don't use anything that protrudes past the edge of the burner square !!

I don't know whether you are talking about a single or double burner stove, but the burner square measures 210 x 210 mm and if you are using that size plate on top of a single burner stove, then keep using it at your risk, but at least keep your kids away while cooking !!
FollowupID: 858720

Reply By: TomH - Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 14:47

Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 14:47
Going by what I have read here and on other forums The Ive been using one for 40 years and wont stop now Brigade is alive and well (Until their one blows up anyway)

If the instructions which say dont use an overhanging container are followed they were alright but there are always those that dont read or know better
AnswerID: 590704

Follow Up By: Member - mechpete - Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 16:01

Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 16:01
looks like billm is one of these people that contribute to a product getting a bum rap , the manufactuerer has now put quite specific
instructions on how to use ,an he knows btter as you said
mechpete
FollowupID: 858724

Reply By: osters - Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 16:45

Thursday, Sep 24, 2015 at 16:45
I had a brand new double stove. I was boiling a kettle, no overhang, luckily I was standing next to it when the bottle flared, was able to put it out quickly, didn't use that side but continued with the other plate, exactly the same thing happened. Smashed it up and disposed of it. Gone back to the original 10 year old single ones!!!!
AnswerID: 590711

Sponsored Links