Transmission wind-up

Submitted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 22:14
ThreadID: 13040 Views:9652 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Could someone please explain (in simple terms) what "transmission wind-up" is,how do you get it, and when you get it how do you get going again. I have an RA Rodeo and I have had the AT Oil Temp light come on. Cools ok when I stop and idle in park for a couple of minutes. Dealer can find no problem and suspects "wind-up". Hence the question.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 22:25

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 22:25
Harben, Click on the icon "on the road" and then 4WD Skills. Follow it down to Articles and you will find an explanation therer as well as other tips
AnswerID: 59500

Reply By: Savvas - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 23:03

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 23:03
Harben ... Doesn't sound right to me.

Wind up you would get in the transfer case and 4wd drive train when you drive on a hard surface in a locked up 4WD range. However, I don't believe that it can extend back into the transmission. But, I maybe wrong.

Under what situations do you get the temp light (ie .. what sort of driving, is it on bitumen, offroad, etc)? For example, sand driving or heavy towing can generate heat in a transmission. Was it a one off situation after some heavy going, or is it a repeat problem?

If you can give us all some more specific info on the problem, we can have a group think about it and see if we can come up with something.

Cheers,
Savvas
AnswerID: 59504

Follow Up By: harben - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 21:18

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 21:18
This is a reply for all those that have helped by responding.
'Struth I thought that this would be simple!!!
So, here is more info. First time (January ) was on a long stretch up hill and in 4WD although probably not necessary. AT Temperature light on, no other symptoms.
As per the owners manual I stopped and put it in Park idled for a few minuets and light went off and off I went in 2WD - no more trouble.
Last w/e going up to Bluff Hut (Mansfield Vic) thought put it in 4WD (not necessary as I found out) up hill climb but not too severe then bingo light on after about 5 mins; pulled up usual drill; continued on in 2WD and it came on again; cooled off drove on no more trouble!! Was not aware of any other vibrations, slowing etc. The thing has only done 8000km so into the dealer last Monday. They hooked the computer thing on, checked op temp etc and foung no problem
Problem is I am heading to Cape York soon.
FollowupID: 321247

Follow Up By: Savvas - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 23:04

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 23:04
Ok then, the picture is now a bit clearer.

You should only engage 4WD on a loose surface. If the surfaces you were driving up did not provide enough slip between the front and rear wheels, then you may get wind up in the driveline. You indicated that when you engaged 4WD it was not really needed, so I'm guessing that you were on hard surface.

The wind up in turn may place extra load on the transmission. As the transmission is driving against the resistance in the transfer case it may lead to the heating up problem.

I think you're safe on the transmission, however make sure you do a 4WD course before your Cape York trip so you can get some experience on when to engage 4WD and when not to engage it.

FollowupID: 321263

Follow Up By: harben - Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 19:37

Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 19:37
Savvas and All who responded,
Thanks a heap. Just to wrap up, the first occurance was my first up run and I was just giving it a "shot". The most recent it was on unmade surface but the surface came good and I now realise that I did not go back to 2WD soon enough. I will be tagging along with experienced cobber on CY trip but I still take your advice.
Thanks again to all who took the time and shared your experience.
FollowupID: 321306

Reply By: Aandy(WA) - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 23:19

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 23:19
harben, transmission wind up results from driving on a hard surface in high or low locked 4wd. If you deviate from a straight line on a hard surface when the transmission is locked in 4wd the difference in speed between the front wheels and the back wheels causes the transmission to "wind up". The quick fix if this happens is to reverse the direction of travel to "unwind" it. If your vehicle has constant or full time 4wd there is a differential between the front and rear wheels which allows for differences in speed on hard surfaces. For maximum traction with such vehicles it is necessary to "lock" the centre diff. If you have part time 4wd then there is no problemin 2wd but when 4wd is selected you must be sure the surface will allow for differences in speed between the front pair of wheels and the rear pair of wheels. Hope this helps!
AnswerID: 59505

Reply By: ross - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 23:33

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 23:33
It sounds as if the dealer thinks you maybe driving on the bitumen with 4x4 or centre diff lock engaged.
Even though your front and rear tyres are the same size,there are minute differences in tyre height and pressure.
After thousands of tyre revolutions the front set may have travelled much further than the rear leading to wind up or jamming in the transfer case.
Steering around corners also causes tyres to travel different distances leading to wind up.

The 1st symptom is a t-case stuck in 4x4.
By coincidence this happened to me yesterday .Somehow I knocked the very soft 4x4 switch on my landcruiser and didnt notice the 4x4 engaged light driving into the sunrise.
On the way to work I noticed a very worrying vibration in the drivetrain like a dog shaking the water off.
Anyway I worked it out and drove backwards with the 4x4 switch off until it popped out.
Driving in circles or soft soil also works
AnswerID: 59509

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 08:20

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 08:20
Hi Harben, I have had wind up plenty of times in my old 45 cruiser and just reverse up and kick it out of 4wd , and I am no expert but cannot see how you could get it in an auto trans ?
AnswerID: 59513

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 15:59

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 15:59
Pesty (SA)

You can get it because it occurs across the output flanges of the transfer case (F&R driveshafts). In fact it has absolutly nothing to do with the actual gearbox itself, other than requiring more than normal power to be driven into the transfer case to overcome the tyres being forced to scrub out on the road.
FollowupID: 321206

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 14:42

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 14:42
I can't see how wind up would cause AT overheating. You would'nt be able to steer the thing long before it overheated the gearbox, in act you'd probally crack an axel or CV before then. Sounds like somthing seriously wrong with the gear box or cooling system. Or maybe somthing not so serious with the electronics, but in any case it's got nothing to do with you being in 4wd.
AnswerID: 59578

Sponsored Links