Sloppy Wheel Brace Holden Colorado

Submitted: Monday, Sep 28, 2015 at 12:44
ThreadID: 130436 Views:3188 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Purchased a Colorado last year and couldn't be happier.
Must inform all Colorado owners to check your wheel brace as the one given in the new car kit does not fit the wheel nuts. I asked a Holden dealership to check and they agreed, so they further inspected other new vehicles in their yard all with the same problem. I am waiting on Holden to get back to me re "What are they going to do?" Hopefully a recall?? So Colorado owners make sure you have another brace in the meantime.

Cheers Kerry

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Sep 28, 2015 at 13:43

Monday, Sep 28, 2015 at 13:43
There Yet - It's not a problem confined to just Colorado wheelbraces. What generally causes it, is the conflict between metric and imperial (inch) measurements, that the U.S. still doggedly uses.
As the Colorado is sold in the U.S. (as a Chevrolet Colorado), there will no doubt have been some conflict between the Chinese producing metric and imperial wheelbraces (and have no doubt, the wheelbraces will be Chinese-made).

Despite the Colorado being all-metric, someone in China will probably have deemed the wrench needed is in inch sizing, because they thought all the Colorados went to America.
Either that, or some Chinese tool producer will have decided that a close inch-sized wheelbrace can be re-stamped with a close metric size.

Or .. some peasant in the tool factory who was working in a rice paddy last week, before he got transferred to a factory job, has no clue about what all these funny English numbers and letters mean, and he just grabbed the nearest wheelbrace box and supplied them for the order.

You see this in the bolt sizing in places such as Masters, and to a lesser extent, Bunnings. You get "inch" bolts that are essentially metric equivalents.
Masters major source of supplies is Lowes, the American company (their JV partner in Masters), and Lowes order everything for the American market - in inch sizing.
As a result, Masters are selling more stuff with obsolete inch sizing dimensions on it, than they are selling metric sizes.
It's a shambles, just like we still have wheel and tyre dimensions in mixtures of inch and metric sizing.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 590821

Follow Up By: Zippo - Monday, Sep 28, 2015 at 16:18

Monday, Sep 28, 2015 at 16:18
Ron, you're not wrong about the Chinese understanding of arabic numerals (and fractions). I picked up a set of "jeweller's screwdrivers" from Harbour Freight in the US last year for tweaking spectacles. The progression in fractional sizes on the package liner is rather unique:

Phillips: 1/16 3/43 3/43 5/64 3/32
Slotted: 3/64 3/55 3/55 1/16 3/43 5/64

I'd suggest that any relationship between the OP's wheel nuts and the brace size would be a fluke.
FollowupID: 858890

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Sep 28, 2015 at 20:49

Monday, Sep 28, 2015 at 20:49
Ron
It isn't nice to immediately blame the Chinese, they probably have no part in any of it apart from the supply of some items perhaps, however, the blame should be directed squarely at GM because they are responsible for all items supplied with a new vehicle.
GM has a very bad habit of using the cheapest sourced parts possible, they will often use gear of quality which is rejected by other companies, because even the bean counters in those companies can see it isn't worth it.
GM often takes the risk and any comeback is planned for, if nothing happens then it is win, win, win for GM.

If the owner goes and buys a suitable item, then GM wins once more.
FollowupID: 858904

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Oct 01, 2015 at 13:51

Thursday, Oct 01, 2015 at 13:51
Are we to assume that you worked for GM in a purchasing capacity, or is it just more forum style hearsay?

FollowupID: 859022

Reply By: 2weis - Monday, Sep 28, 2015 at 16:41

Monday, Sep 28, 2015 at 16:41
checked my 2013 Colorado and no problem
brian
AnswerID: 590827

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 06:23

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 06:23
A few yeas ago one of my brothers in law bought a demo 100 series Landcruiser. As part of his trip around Oz he decided to have a look at Purnulu National Park (Bungle Bungle??)
The car came with the standard road/comfort orientated tyres and on the way in he destroyed one of them. No worries, out with the nice new never used set of bits and bobs that came with the jack.
Unfortunately whomever was responsible for packing all the extender parts left one out so he couldn't unwind the little winch arrangement that holds the spare up under the car.
Fortunately one of the park rangers happened by and got him out of the poo. The bloke also gave him a quick lesson on tyre selection if he was planning any more off road adventures.
We found out later that this oversight was common to quite a few 2006 model build dates of that particular vehicle.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 590838

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 09:59

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 09:59
Apart from weird combinations of sizes the other most important thing for those of us who venture off the bitch, is will your standard wheel nut device actually loosen the nuts after some peanut has used the rattle gun to tighten them up?
I bent mine trying after a wheel balance and rotate etc. so as well as going back and getting the tyre dealer to slacken them all and torque them properly, I bought an extended rattle socket plus a 3/4 sliding bar capable of taking a lot of pressure with a tube on if necessary.
Of course I'm hoping tyre places will start taking a bit more care of others property in the future, but in the meantime.....
AlanH.
FollowupID: 858918

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 14:42

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 14:42
Solution: Go and buy a 12V impact wrench with a good set of sockets. They also come in handy removing the very tight nuts on the suspension and in our case a shockie. It took ages to undo even with the impact wrench. And before someone says it - I was turning it in the correct direction.

What about getting the right torque. I have never in 50 years heard of anyone actually doing up wheel nuts with a torque wrench. Kind of a huge overkill in my opinion. And no I have never had a wheel nut come loose either.

Our 12V impact (I think an NCH brand) wrench has done a superb job in 5 years use with changing the wheel sets each trip, both before and after the trip. We don't use the offroad tyres around town or on a "highway drive".

Phil
AnswerID: 590855

Follow Up By: Zippo - Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 15:56

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 15:56
Phil, some vehicles have a propensity to snap wheel studs when nuts are overtightened - and sometimes they are just weakened and fail when stressed later down the track. The service agent I use (NOT a stealership) uses a torque wrench on both steel and mag wheel nuts, and I'm happy that he does.
FollowupID: 858931

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 16:20

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 16:20
Isn't modern life wonderful with it's technical and engineering advances and they put crap wheel nuts on cars. Beats me.

Next thing we will is an WiFi/internet based wheel nut torsion monitors for and an impressive app to watch the data for you. Or the car will stop etc etc etc.

And don't forget it will also issue a state wide alert for the armed services, SES and Current Affair to speed to the drivers defence. Oh I forgot the lawyers.

Cheers You have to laugh. It's a perfect day in paradise.

Phil
FollowupID: 858933

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Oct 01, 2015 at 11:44

Thursday, Oct 01, 2015 at 11:44
I have totally abandoned the use of factory wheel braces ..... all our vehicles including the wifes RAV now carry a 2 foot breaker bar and a correct socket for the vehicle.

now even the slightly built handbrake can undoo wheel nuts ..... even if they have been done up with a rattle gun.

these items are cheap enough these days.

cheers
AnswerID: 590918

Sponsored Links