BF Goodrich KO2 Tyre Question

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 20:00
ThreadID: 130457 Views:9891 Replies:13 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
I have been looking at purchasing 5 x new tyres which is not cheap these days. I am after a good All Terrain Tyre. After some research I like the look of the Dick Cepic Fun Country, Cooper ST Maxx and the one I really like after reading many reviews is the new BF Goodrich KO2. BUT, I am concerned about the tyre pattern on the side walls at it appears to only run one way. My question is that the way this pattern runs you can only rotate the tyres front to rear on either side. Is that correct?
Any feedback comments on the BF Goodrich or my choice would be appreciated.

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Will 76 Series - Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 20:51

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 20:51
Probably need to clarify it is not so much the tread pattern of the KO 2 as this appears to be non directional my post was mainly in concern to the side biters which appear to run a particular direction which is unusual compared to other AT tyres.
AnswerID: 590865

Reply By: Member - backtracks - Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 21:01

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 21:01
Too technical for me wil 76 series ! All I know is I'm onto my third set of BFG all terrains on my patrol. I have 2 sets, keeping the best for trips. I swap them around willy nilly, run them as low as 14.5 cold for days across virgin ground in the Simo or 25 psi fully loaded on rocky roads. Almost no punctures, in 15 years,totally happy, will buy them again.
AnswerID: 590867

Reply By: Gronk - Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 21:03

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 21:03
They're only sidebiters, so direction won't matter.
AnswerID: 590868

Reply By: Member - Will 76 Series - Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 21:43

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 21:43
Thanks, for the comments probably looking into it to much as you said they are only side biters. Gonk, yes very hard to find many negative comments about the BF's especially this updated version of the KO to the KO2.
AnswerID: 590870

Follow Up By: TomH - Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 22:01

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 22:01
My KO's did 51000 without as much as a puncture. Still were legal when I sold the vehicle
FollowupID: 858955

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 10:36

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 10:36
I just sold 4 of my last set of KOs with approx. 70K on with still about 3 - 4mm usable tread left. Changed them for a new set of the old style at $285 ea as I was going on a remote trip.
Good tyres and I really can't recall having a puncture over the last 4 years plus.
When looking at a new set a couple of tyre sellers told me BFGs were "old technology"......well who cares? I'll stick with that after the good experience I've had so far.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 859074

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 23:11

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 23:11
Good Evening Guys

There is always someone to let the cat out of the bad, and now it is me.

For years I have been running Bridgestone LT 694 and now the 697's and thought that they have been a fantastice tyre, very quiet on bitumen, fantadtic in the wet and great off-road.

On our Ultimate camper, it is Running the KO2 and was thinking of putting them on the Prado from all the good reports that you hear about them.

During our recent June trip away, more than 3500 kilometres was done on varing dirt roads, including the Birdsville Track, the Strzelecki Track, Savanagh Way and many more out of the way back roads throught Outcack Queensland.

I am no dumb bunny when it comes to travelling on dirt roads, always dropping tyre pressures as well as speed and even the golden rule of even dropping the camper 2 psi lower than the car.

Weight is not an issue with the Ultimate as it comes in a little over 800 kg loaded, far more for my Prado.

End result of this trip was the Bridgestone LT 697 came home with not on mark on then in any way or form at all. The KO2 on the other hand can not be said. Much of the tread blocks have considerable chips and not the type of thing that should have happened to this type of tyre.

From my first hand experience now with the KO2, there is no way I will be out laying more per tyre over the price if the 697's for a tyre that will chip the way that it has and not one single mark or cut on the Bridgestones.

Just my thoughts and would like to hear from other owners of the KO2 to see if they are honest enough to admit there their tyres have chipped on the same dirt roads that I have mentioned.

Cheers

Stephen

And fore you guy jump in with comments like "I known someone", I only want to hear from honest first hand experience please.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 590873

Follow Up By: Member - Neil L1 - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 00:05

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 00:05
I have to agree Stephen. I have had BFG's on my precious vehicle and travelled the Canning and many other roads without any signs of chipping. Although the current vehicle does not have the new KO2's they seem to chip very easily and I have lost several lugs on not very severe surfaces. I am so disappointed I will be looking for an alternative when it comes time to change. I really like the BFG's but this weakness means I will have to look elsewhere next time.
FollowupID: 858963

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 07:15

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 07:15
Hi Neil

Thanks for your honest reply, it is greatly appreciated. I have always read great reports about the KO2 but after seeing the end results, the proof is in the pudding unfortunately. At a price of nearly $100 per tyre dearer than the Bridgestone, it now shows just how much better the 697 tyre is.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 858967

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:45

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:45
I was using BFG AT KO - 4 sets over a many years getting 60 - 70,000kms with no problems on different vehicles travelling much the same tracks a you Stephen. But my last set suffered terribly with chipping - Don't know what changed but it was like a different tyre.
I now use the Bridgestone D697 & love them. Great on the bitumen & in the wet, quiet compared to the BFG's & good on the outback tracks also (which is mostly the trips I do) & no chipping. These are currently on an NT Pajero -
I am one for constantly changing my tyre pressures & driving speed to suit the conditions
Just find the Bridgestones better value for the sort of trips I do. Lost faith in the BFGs after the last set.
Cheers Paul
FollowupID: 858981

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 00:54

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 00:54
My view is that chipping is related to compound hardness and the particular stones that some bush roads have.
Catch 22.
Softer compound = less chipping but generally faster wear on most roads.
If you are driving on a "chipping road" and speeds are high, the chipping rate can become extreme. Lower speeds may reduce the chipping dramatically. It is often the rears that chip badly too, because the stones are flicked up on edge by the fronts.

I have had exceptional results from Michelin XDE2s on the OKA over 11 years, but a high speed run on the Strz and Birdsville can do this very quickly.

Despite that, they are still a great all round tyre.
Horses for courses.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome

AnswerID: 590876

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 07:25

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 07:25
Hi Peter

We all know how many rocks are on the Birdsville and Strzelecki Tracks and the last thing I wanted was to damage my tyres. For that reason, I always drop tyre pressures on roads like that and always limit my speed to 80kph for that very reason.

I would have expected chipping if I was running 40psi and going fast, but at 26psi, I never expected that at all.

Like I said, inspecting the 697's you would think that they have only ever been driven on bitumen roads, which is very far from the truth.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 858968

Reply By: Member - Will 76 Series - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 06:12

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 06:12
Stephen, well that is good to know a little disappointing but great first hand experience. A friend of mine is currently travelling around Australia and has been on the road since March from Perth and currently just heading south from the Cape. They have completed Kimberley's, Gibb River and the Cape and he commented to me that he thought the most common tyre he has seen across the top was the Bridgestone's which is interesting. Problem is once you throw a brand out there is the amount of conflicting views, so I would definitely be interested in any other BF Goodrich KO2 owners. Thanks again.
AnswerID: 590878

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 07:43

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 07:43
I needed 2 emergency tyres in Marree some years ago. He had to get them overnighted due to the size. The funny thing was he didn't give me a choice of tyre, you're getting 697's he said.
FollowupID: 858969

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 07:51

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 07:51
Hi Will

If you see Neil's reply to my post, he to has had the very same issue with the KO2, which shows that it is a tyre issue and not just related to my experience. I now feel the 697 is a very underrated tyre, as even last year in some very remote true off track travels my tyres held its head up very high, with only 2 punctures, and on one section of very heavy mulga, my one puncture was not too bad compared to Mick O putting a very massive slash in his very rugged tyres.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 858970

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 08:30

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 08:30
Stephen,

as you know, I do more than a few rough km every year.

I've had the 697's and their two predecessors in a very wide variety of surfaces and road conditions. Probably done up to 30 K a year for 10+ years of this sort of driving. Have had them on trailers and 4WD's. My mate, who has run desert expeditions for over 25 years, also runs them on his 4WD's and 2.5 tonne supply trailer. So I have seen teh Bridgestones in many different scenarios and I've also seen most other brands of tyre as well out there in the rough stuff.

The Bridgestone 697's get punctures. They get stakes in the sidewall. They score around the wall if pressures are too low and you're driving fully loaded on horrible corrugates. They are quiet. They chip relatively little. And so on. Most people can say good things about the tyres they run. But it's the extremes which find out real performance values.

Other brands of tyres also get punctures, sidewall damage, stakes, etc. I'm not so sure that there's a difference between a tyre that's buggered which cost $ 450 or a tyre which cost $ 280.

As mentioned above, tyres can cop it bad, even when looked after - yes, I drop pressure and speed, sometimes a few times a day. On my last trip, down the CSR, a few tag alongs and passengers said 'I had no idea how much you blokes look after your tyres & pressures.

But I reckon the 697's are extremely good value tyres for a very wide range of conditions. They are readily available throughought the interior in a wide range of sizes. That's why Lyall at Marree fits so many of them - they perform & they don't cost the earth.

These are some of the reasons I'd agree that the Bridgestone 697's are underrated.
(.....wish I had a commercial interest in such a testimonial.....!)

Cheers
FollowupID: 858972

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 08:56

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 08:56
I have had both Bridgestone 694 and BFG AT . In fact I have almost continuously run ATs since 1977 and never had an off-road puncture.

I read an article in4x4 Australia where Cooper technicians were testing a new tyre in Australia and claimed that chipping of rear tyres is caused by stones flung up by the front tyres.

This could explain why camper tyres can be chipped as they get a double dose!

I found 694s which preceded 697s to be great tyres and really decided to go back to BFGs because of price as Tempe tyres directly import and they were much cheaper than 697s. I have done a lap with my current 255.70x16 BFGs with no chipping including the GRR.
I have 30kk on mine with 8 to 9 mm of tread left.
As a precaution I have fitted front mudflaps as my doors and shocks look pretty beat up.

The only criticism I have ever is that they ride pretty roughly as they are 113-116 load rating AFAIR.

I did have chipping on one set I had with lots of mountain work and a rear locker, and that was rears only.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 590881

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 09:25

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 09:25
For outback tracks next time I'll give Coopers ago; they come recommended from a user I respect.
AnswerID: 590883

Reply By: Gronk - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 09:44

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 09:44
I had BFG's on my last 2 4wd's and was very happy with them ( after bad runs with Coopers and Mickys ), but when I bought my 2nd hand 200 series, I inherited a set of Hancook Dynapro ATM's.

About as aggressive tread pattern as the bfg's, sidebiters, good in the wet and have done 50,000K's, no chipping and still with 10mm tread left !

Unless I can come up with a reason not to get them, they will go on again when they wear out ..
AnswerID: 590884

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:05

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:05
The OP Will 76 series, I presume has a 76 series????
It would be nice to know what the breakup is relating to approx time/use on black top, dirt, gibber & mud driving he will be doing/anticipating.
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Toyo OPAT's a tyre that I have been using on my last five Landcruisers after using BFG's for more years that I can remember.
My experience with the Toyo's has been trouble free, quiet in operation good in the wet, & throw out the mud when it gets sloppy.
I use the A/T tyre pattern.....Mick O a regular contributor here has Toyo Muds on his cruiser.....he speaks very highly of those.

The 'old' tyre debate..... you will always get many responses when this subject comes up!
AnswerID: 590886

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:08

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:08
Oh one other thing.....maybe two.......
Toyo's were considerably cheaper than BFG's last time I checked, & they wear well..... very easily get 80k plus on a set towing a heavy Kedron over all road conditions.
FollowupID: 858978

Follow Up By: Gronk - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 11:51

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 11:51
Went to Toyo tyres website and price for 285/70/17 was $450 !!

Never heard a bad thing about them, but the Hancooks can be had for $289...

All the major brands are probably similar in strength and wear, but dollars talk..
FollowupID: 858986

Follow Up By: Simon V - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 18:14

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 18:14
I got some new Toyo AT's a few months back in 285 65 17 paid $240 for them got them for a steal :)
FollowupID: 859005

Follow Up By: Gronk - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 19:35

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 19:35
Do tell Simon ????
FollowupID: 859007

Follow Up By: Simon V - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 20:58

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 20:58
Kmart tyre and auto will price match and better any genuine price on tyres they stock, so I found the best deal I could get and they smashed it, needless to say I will be using them in the future
FollowupID: 859008

Follow Up By: Simon V - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 21:02

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 21:02
I had been looking at various AT tyres like ST Maxx, Micky T ATZ P3, BFG KO2's and general grabbers but my research and requirements sent me to the Toyo AT's the price was just an added bonus but not the deciding factor
FollowupID: 859009

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, Oct 01, 2015 at 09:47

Thursday, Oct 01, 2015 at 09:47
Thanks, I'll keep them in mind when I need new tyres.
FollowupID: 859018

Reply By: garrycol - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:40

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:40
I had BFG ATs KO2 on my previous vehicle for about 70,000km - no issues, great tyre.

I have got BFG MT KM2s on my current vehicle and again no issues.

I have also heard good things about the Cooper 6*7s but never used them.
AnswerID: 590888

Reply By: Member - Will 76 Series - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 15:42

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 15:42
Appreciate the comments. The BFG KO2 has been around for awhile in the US and is reasonably new here in OZ. It gets rave reviews in the States especially as tough tyre and racing tyre. I do have a 76 Series Wagon and tow a 2200kg Offroad Camper but get off the blacktop whenever possible. I plan to travel extensively next year across the top (Cape, Gibb River, Mitchell Plateau etc) leaving the trailer sometimes and other times towing so an AT is definitely my preference over a MT.
The main reason for the post was to get some views of the BFG KO2 here in OZ which has been interesting. We certainly are lucky to have so many choices of good tyres.
My gut feel is to give them a try, I am currently running the Cooper AT3 which has been OK but would like a little more tread depth and side bite.
AnswerID: 590903

Sponsored Links