New Site

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 03, 2015 at 06:44
ThreadID: 130492 Views:1980 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am not one for constant change. The new site still feels very strange but I am liking it better as time goes on. I think everyone needs some time to get used to it.

I absolutely love the uncluttered look and the larger fonts are great for old eyes.

So far so good David

Alan
Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Saturday, Oct 03, 2015 at 06:45

Saturday, Oct 03, 2015 at 06:45
David is there an edit function on the new site??

Alan
AnswerID: 591094

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 03:49

Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 03:49
Probably not however why not be proactive instead of reactive.

There is still the preview button. Just use this before you press the submit button. It's not that hard.
If after that you still make a mistake then the alert Moderator button is still there - click this and request for your error(s) to be modified. I have done this in the past on the odd occasion and found the moderators to be fairly prompt in the changes.

To me the altering of a thread is detrimental to the forum as it may possibly alter the context after it has been posted. Perhaps may be OK before any replies have been submitted however you never know if a reply would be submitted before any changes are made.

I vote for no edit button.

On that note and being a bit cheeky perhaps - There are at least two moderators who fairly regularly edit their own threads altering context. This is an abuse of their "power" for want of a better word and should not be allowed. If moderators want their own threads to be modified then it should be done by moderators other than themselves (not a priority David).

That's my 2 cents and now I'll push the submit button without pushing the preview button (as I live on the edge a bit) and hope that I haven't made a mistake.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 859193

Follow Up By: lancie49 - Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 09:33

Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 09:33
Another forum I have a bit of involvement in does use an 'Edit' button and it works well.

However, it must be time controlled to prevent late edits causing issues as Alan describes above.

Generally a 30min limit to edit a post seems to operate effectively.

Lance
FollowupID: 859199

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 12:06

Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 12:06
Alan

I had never thought of the context being altered with the edit button - I was always focused on spelling, grammar and premature posting.

I have suggested in another followup that the submit button be shifted to the other end of the row.

This will seperate the preview and submit buttons, possibly preventing earlier premature posting (I have fat fingers and do it all the time). It will also make the submit action a more conciliatory effort.

Haven't had any feed back on the suggestion though.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 859210

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 12:37

Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 12:37
Why not just provide an edit button like most other forums that is active all the time and you it has a spot to put a reason at the bottom.

Too easy.
FollowupID: 859211

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 12:46

Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 12:46
I suggested in another thread that there be an edit button but in the case of an opening post it gets disabled as soon as there is a reply. In the case of a reply it gets disabled with the first follow-up and in the case of a follow-up, it gets disabled with the next follow-up.

While not meeting everyone's need or wishes, it gives some editing ability and I think would eliminate the danger of context being changed after others have had input, which I think is David's main concern.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 859213

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Oct 03, 2015 at 11:15

Saturday, Oct 03, 2015 at 11:15
As someone who mainly accesses Exploroz.com via iPad I have to say full credit to David on the new website. It just works so much better on iPad.
And having read quite a few critical comments, I thought there must have been problems looking at it on a PC, but when I did, it worked fine.
Well done. I'm happy!
AnswerID: 591113

Reply By: fisho64 - Saturday, Oct 03, 2015 at 21:54

Saturday, Oct 03, 2015 at 21:54
Im sorry but i have been persevering but i hate it.
When a notification comes thru i cannot find it on a busy thread using my phone.
AnswerID: 591127

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 05:05

Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 05:05
I think it could be about 2 years ago , maybe more I suggested to Office the submit button should not be in the middle of all other buttons, Quite a few times I nearly clicked the submit when adding photo's and before the post was ready, now it is perfect over on the far left with the preview, I also discovered on the first use today for SHP the spaces between photo's and text is greater than before thus no need for a space above and below photo's, thanks to the preview button I seen this. ...thanks David....love it..

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 591131

Reply By: Member - Jim B8 - Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 18:13

Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 18:13
Alan
I am impressed with the changes so far, the old site was too full up, too slow, I never was on a page when the curser wasnt "spinning", always a sign of a site that was busy downloading something. Love the text look, too many sites are all GUI and live AD's etc. Much faster for us slower internet ppl, and I can still follow the links out to wherever I want to go.
We are spoilt having a site with a "live" programmer, makes it easier to get changes, which can only be good
Bring on the changes.
Ads are necessary, money has to flow from somewhere, but its great to see some sanity prevailing, balancing out the ads with common sense usability. Its not as if the users can pay for something as big as this site by annual fees, so I dont mind the ads, and putting them behind the front screens makes sense
Maybe as a suggestion, the business members could make better use of the shop? Doesnt seem to have the content you'd expect to see on such a purist 4wd site? I cant believe that site like this cant be used better by suppliers - without totally relying on the google ads thingy. I have gone shopping many times, only to see a relatively small shop? Why isnt this the "one stop shop" for 4wd'ers?
I agree, we will get used to it

AnswerID: 591161

Sponsored Links