battery charger role call / poll

HI ,
To all ,What are all the different types and brands of batt charger out there that are usefull to members eg to charge a single 120 amp AGM or a twin batt 120 setup.?? Is there any with adjustable amperage ?The preference is for a charger that will work with a 1kv gene .
There are I think whats called power factor corrected types that use less power to run eg u can achieve a higher charge rate with these on a 1kv gene.
Trying to charge around the 20-30% of a/hr capacity of agm or
max 30 amp single and at least 20 amp each for double

Xantrex true charge 20,40 and needs a remote for adjustability lots of dollar 700 plus The remote panel has too be purchased to adjust amperage % 100, 80 ,60,40,20, votage profile is your typical agm flooded gel etc manual dip switch

Blue seas [digital] p12 40 amp The""" most adjustable by far"" but it appears the most expensive
adjustable amps x1amp and voltage adjustable x .05 increments float timer adjustable and amperage absorb trigger point adjustable for when it changes to float .[this allows for fridge loads etc ]

Sterling procharge 20,30,40,50,60 $ around 630 for the 40 amp . The 50/60 amp are very expensive [amp adjustable %100, 75,50,25][has the ability custom voltage profile][lithium ] low pwr usage

Projecta 50 amp does 50 and 25 amp but uses way to much power watts to do this for a 1kv gene
$$ 550 Has seperate volt detection in the charge cable

oz charge 30 amp adjustable for lower amps and low power usage 410 $$

Enerdrive pdf files appear a little incorrect contradict themselves 40 amp $515 Requires a call to Enerdrive 700watts on 40 amp

Can any body add to this eg more selection ,and or ,cheaper prices [we all like that ]

cheers swampy

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 11:07

Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 11:07
50A X 14.4V = 720W I would have thought a 1000W genie would have no problem running the 50A projecta?

My 800W inverter generator has no problem running my 25A projector, it doesn't even go out of economy mode.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 591134

Follow Up By: swampy - Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 14:16

Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 14:16
hi HKB
web site Projecta
1488watts for 50 amp projecta
782 for the 25 amp unit
these specs must be upon initial start up

swampy

ps assuming a inverter 1kv gene puts out 800-900 wats continuous
FollowupID: 859216

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 16:22

Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 16:22
It must be the intial surge as yousuggest which would only be for a few milliseconds, a check of one
of the chargers specs shows it at around 95% efficient, the others show around 50% efficiency which surely can't be the normal running effieciency of the charger.

Would be a suck and see, the generator might be able to stand the initially inrush
then again it might trip the breaker if it has one.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 859221

Reply By: Battery Value - Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 13:16

Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 13:16
Hi Swampy,

we've got a 25A rated "Battery Value" charger, with the following features:

* Australian Approval Number
* PF corrected to >0.8 (passive)
* 4 stages: test/bulk/absorption/float
* 3 colour charge status LED
* 2 separate main charging outputs
* total charging amps: 25A +1A
* 1A 13.8V starting battery maintenance output
* 13.8V/25A power supply mode (or two stage charging to 13.8V)
* Battery temperature sensor
* 14.4V/14.8V Vabsorb selection, 13.8V float
* absorption time limit adjustable: none, 4hr, 8hr
* absorption to float switch over based on charging current threshold (3A)
* automatic battery integrity test before full charging current is re-applied
* guaranteed no reverse flow of charge in case of 240V failure or disconnect
* short circuit protected (auto reset)
* reverse polarity protected (easily accessible 30A blade fuse)
* half power mode button
* two units can be powered by a 1kVA gennie, one in full power mode and the other in half power
* available ex Brisbane
* 2 year warranty
* an early WAECO design, quality made in Taiwan
* passive cooling alloy case with quiet fan, only runs during bulk/absorption
* price inc GST $255

Cheers

AnswerID: 591141

Reply By: Roachie.kadina.sa.au - Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 14:20

Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 14:20
Swampy,

I can't help but to feel that you're trying to make life more complex than it needs to be.

I have a 25amp CTek here at home and recently added a 25amp Matson charger to my Chev. I used to have the CTek semi-permanently mounted in my truck (which has a 240v INLET so I can plug the house power in when I'm at home), but found that I needed a charger for the shed too..... So I bought the Matson RV25 and it is now in the Chev, where it keeps 3x 100a/h AGMs fully charged when the solar panels aren't producing input (under the carport) as well as keeping the 2 starter batteries topped-up too.

Either/both of these will happily run off my Yammie 1kva gennie whilst it also runs a couple of Engel fridges.

I appreciate that everybody has different ideas on what the ideal set-up is....all I can do is report that my little 25 amp charger/s do a great job. With the solar panels on the roof of the Chev's canopy I'm actually finding that I rarely need to use the gennie. In fact I reckon I will probably sell it off soon as I haven't had to use it for over 12 months.

Roachie

I
AnswerID: 591144

Follow Up By: swampy - Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 17:28

Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 17:28
hi
As u have mentioned it does depend on circumstance
The family and I free camp but after breakfast we go and hike etc. Therefore charging is desirable to be done at a reasonable pace . Can lead to a late start if around others . If there is no others around all is good After 2-4 hours near 90%.
The positives arel
low use of gene
low fuel usage
low noise =better relations with other campers
We have all heard the old school genes running for 6 hrs
do not have to hang around at camp
improved security as the gene is locked away high on the list of priorities

As u said some may be 25amps but some maybe 40 amps but some maybe 60-80 amps

cheers swampy
FollowupID: 859227

Sponsored Links