Dingo 20 20 solar controller

Submitted: Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 14:51
ThreadID: 130511 Views:2047 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
This controller looks after 300 watts of panels. It never appears to show it has produced as much power as I would expect. eg 40 amp hours in a day. Would I be right in assuming once the batteries are fully charged the controller is not measuring any more power. If that is right just out of interest what happens to the power the panels are producing.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 16:07

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 16:07
When a battery is charged there will be no/negligible flow of electrons into the battery because the regulator can detect it is charged, ie up to a set voltage.
If the measuring you speak of is an amp meter indicating what the input is, then there won't be any. The solar reg simply cuts off the supply connection, (electronically) and the amp meter won't register.
Only when there is a difference of voltage, ie, when the battery state of charge is less, will the regulator allow current flow to charge it up again.
An analogy is, two tanks being connected at their base by a pipe. When both are the same level then no water will flow from one to the other.
AnswerID: 591211

Reply By: Battery Value - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 16:27

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 16:27
As soon as the solar controller 'turns off the tap', charging current through the battery will cease to flow.

Now this current starts to flow within the solar panel itself.
Yep, that's right if you interrupt the external current path of a solar panel (cell), the sun induced photo current will take the internal route instead.

Cheers
AnswerID: 591213

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 20:36

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 20:36
Battery Value
That theory of the solar panel current traveling through an internal route in the panel is the first i have evr heard of that idea.
Can you explain the intricacies of such an event please? I would like to understand that phenomenon.
FollowupID: 859300

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 21:23

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 21:23
Quote "Now this current starts to flow within the solar panel itself.
Yep, that's right if you interrupt the external current path of a solar panel (cell), the sun induced photo current will take the internal route instead."

Now that's a new concept. The general wisdom is that if nothing is drawn from the panel there is no current flow within the panel.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 859302

Follow Up By: Battery Value - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2015 at 02:16

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2015 at 02:16
So you guys really wanna know....ok here goes AFAIK.

As you're probably aware of, a PV cell is made up of a semi conductive p and n region resembling a diode.

An electric field of variable intensity exists where these two regions come together (called the depletion zone).
This field acts as a charge separator.

Incoming light creates extra charge carriers on both sides of the depletion zone.
A buildup of charge carriers weakens the field.

Provided there's an external current path the charge buildup is moderate, leaving the field intact.
Charge diffusion through the depletion zone remains small.

What happens in open circuit?
There is no external current path, charge on both sides of the depletion zone keeps building until the diode becomes forward biased.
At a voltage of about 0.6V the cell basically short circuits itself.
That's why a 36 cell solar panel has an open circuit voltage of 36*0.6V=21.6V (temp dependent).

I'm not an expert though, just knowing enough that I know I don't know everything about this :)
Like drift current caused by minority carrier recombination.
In open circuit, the field becomes weak enough for the resulting diffusion current to balance the opposing drift current so that the net current is zero - you asked!

Cheers
FollowupID: 859314

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 16:37

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 16:37
When the battery reaches a fully charged state it will draw little current, ie a 200ma, if it is a multi stage charger it will also lower the charge voltage to the float voltage setting and the current will drop even more. The meter will still show the current but it will be small.

As for the panels, they are just like a battery, if you disconnect the load from the battery you still have 12.6V or so across the terminals and plenty of amp hours but it has nowhere to go. A solar panel is the same, the terminal voltage of the solar panel will rise to its open terminal voltage and as there is nowhere for the current. The power is not consumed in the panel, the panel is ready to supply the power but without a path for the current to flow nothing can happen. Same as a power point with nothing plugged into it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 591215

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 18:12

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 18:12
The Dingo 20 has a lot of configurable parameters. Make sure you have set the battery type / charge voltages to match your system or they will never charge properly.

Also it is only a PWM controller, They waste 30% of your solar power. So you are only getting use of about 220W. If it was me, I would ditch it and get an MPPT controller.

AnswerID: 591220

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 23:22

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 23:22
Just because a solar array is capable of generating a lot of power it does not mean that it actually does generate that power. It only generates sufficient power to satisfy the needs of the load, in your case the load the Dingo controller. In turn the Dingo only takes sufficient power to do its job of charging a battery. So the total power that generated by the array is just that sufficient to charge the battery plus the overheads required for the Dingo to work If you are seeing around 40 Ah of current on the Dingos display that is all that is necessary to charge your battery.

That is the situation only if you don't have any other charging source. If you believe your house load as greater than 40 Ah per day and you have any other charging sources connected directly to the battery just remember that the Dingo will not measure this additional charge. If that is happening then your SOC reading will also not be accurate. Your SOC will read low. If you require that the SOC readout is accurate you will have to provide a current shunt added to the system to allow the additional charging to be accounted for. Same thing if you have any of your house load (such as an inverter) connected directly to your battery, it also has to be routed through that external shunt.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 591237

Reply By: terryt - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2015 at 07:00

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2015 at 07:00
Thank you all for your comments. You have answered my question
AnswerID: 591242

Sponsored Links