Waeco low voltage cut out

Submitted: Friday, May 21, 2004 at 15:18
ThreadID: 13055 Views:3648 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have been testing by CF 80 Waeco and discovered that whether it is set on high/med/low when the voltage drops below the pre-set limit the red light flashes to indicate low voltage, the compressor doesn't sound to be working, but the fan keeps blowing at about 15 second intervals for about 10 seconds at a time.
I thought with the low voltage cut-out the fridge should completely shut down when below the pre-set voltage.
The fridge is brand new - used only a few times by me.
Any advice or maybe I have to get it looked at.
Thanks
Lachlan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: floyd - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 15:36

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 15:36
I had a similar problem. Just call the companies toll free number and a technicion will answer your questions
AnswerID: 59583

Reply By: Spanner - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 16:29

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 16:29
Sounds like a voltage drop problem to me. If the cable from the battery isn't thick enough, the voltage drop on the cable is enough to trigger the cut out when the fan starts. This will cause the cycling.

All calbles will have a voltage drop, but the thinner the cable the worse it is. For example. Let's say the battery is 12.5 volts and reasonably well charged. If the fridge isn't on, the voltage at the fridge will be 12.5 volts or close to it. As soon as the fridge starts up, it draws current through the thin cable and the voltage at the fridge may drop to say 11.0 volts, even though the battery is still at 12.5. The other 1.5 volts is the drop across the cable. The fridge sees the 11.0 volts and shut's itself down because the voltage is too low. When the fridge shuts off, it sees the voltage go back to 12.5 because it's not drawing any current to speak of and the cycle starts again. With thicker cables that 1.5 volts is a lot less, say 0.1 or 0.2 volts.

The factory wiring is notoriously thin and there is a good chance this is your problem My factory wiring is like this so I have both a positive and negative wire run direct from the aux battery (through a 30 amp fuse) that are about 6mm thick each. The thicker the cable the better. Also check all the pugs and connections are clean and secure.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 59594

Follow Up By: Lachlan - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 17:08

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 17:08
Spanner,
Thanks for the reply.
I have only been testing the unit inside with the cable that came with the fridge so should be no issue about voltage drop. Maybe I need better connections because it is only a temporary set up.
Lachlan
0
FollowupID: 321220

Reply By: David/Dave - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 18:04

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 18:04
Don't forget that lead-acid batteries tend to 'recover' a bit when you stop drawing current from them.

What you may be observing is the battery voltage recovering to a level just above the cutout threshold, so the fan switches on. The fan draws power, the battery output drops below the threshold again and your fan switches off. Battery recharges a bit - on again. Fan drains power - off again. Battery recharges a bit - on again....and so it goes.

AnswerID: 59603

Reply By: Member - peecee (VIC) - Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 09:26

Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 09:26
Hi Lachlan
There is no setting on the cf 80 for hi low med voltage. The switch changes the compressor speed. I run mine on econ mode during the cooler months then on to med for summer. when you run on hi or turbo the plug will get hot and draw heaps of power which might cause a voltage drop.mine also runs the fan when the low voltage light is flashing. Hope this helps
AnswerID: 59665

Follow Up By: Lachlan - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 09:10

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 09:10
Thanks for the reply peecee.
Does this mean that I need to purchase a low voltage cutout device if the CF 80 does not have one?
0
FollowupID: 321476

Reply By: Member - peecee (VIC) - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 10:56

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 10:56
Hi Lachlan
The cf 80 has a low voltage cutout built in.It is not adjustable and is set to 10 volts .They claim it should leave 11 volts in the battery after voltage losses from the battery .If you have an owners manual it is explained on page 3.
AnswerID: 59875

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)