Rear suspenson while towing.

Submitted: Friday, May 21, 2004 at 16:10
ThreadID: 13056 Views:2352 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
Just a question for people who tow camper trailers while camping & how they have there suspension set up. Our camper puts just under 100kg's on the tow ball, & then there's the fridge & other gear in the back of the land cruiser as well. So when towing there is a drop in the rear end. So I want to correct this problem but unsure which is the best way to go. I like the ride the current set up gives while driving with-out the trailer, am I better off getting stiffer springs etc & changeing the unlaiden ride, or going for an adjustable type set up ( poly-airs or adjustable suspension ), & if so which are the good, & bad, brands.

Thanks in advance,
OM&M
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 16:18

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 16:18
G'day OM&M,
I've got beefed up coils plus Polyairs on the Patrol. The stiffer springs are tight and make the ride quite rough, but I can load it up and it hardly flinches. In my case the Polyairs aren't even really necessary, they were already there from when I only had a set of weak 2" lift OME springs. I'm now running 4" front and 5" rear Lovels; but the actual lift when measured against a stocker is only 3" (bear in mind that my rig weighs 3t minimum (ie: before I load up for a trip and hang the camper trailer on the back too).
In your case, Polyairs would do a great job of restoring lost height as a result of the temporary increased load. Firestone's CoilRite is another similar product.
AnswerID: 59590

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 16:25

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 16:25
Hi
My Cruisers have had their rear coils replaced with progressive coils made of 2mm thicker wire same ride quality but will handle the bigger loads.
I have all my springs made by my local spring maker as he can see what I am trying to achieve. Th cost is less than buying after market units.
Hope this is of help
Ray
AnswerID: 59592

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 17:18

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 17:18
I have Polyairs, they work great, pump them up to 30psi load up then let air out till it's level and away you go, just brilliant. Oh i also have OME rear spring such a difference to the handling of the car, standard Explorer springs are just bloody crap. Polyairs do make the ride a little harsher though, but i think they are worth it.

Baz.
AnswerID: 59597

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 08:50

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 08:50
Hi
If you have std springs, take a vehicle with ome for a drive at the local 4b outlet....big difference on large bumps, firmer on smaller, most are happy after doing this mod.
Polyairs are good too.
Andrew
AnswerID: 59755

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 20:08

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 20:08
Check this out...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30862&item=2479740962&rd=1

Andrew
FollowupID: 321425

Reply By: Big Trev - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 07:02

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 07:02
I recently put new (slightly upgraded) springs and shocks all round on a Maverick (thanks to Pedders in Bendigo) to tow a camper trailer, but with the trailer and fridge and draws in the back of the car, the back dropped a bt, I spoke to Grant at Peeders, he said it is a bit of a sell off, if you don't tow a trailer all the time then you don't want heavy duty springs as the car will ride rough all the time, so you have to compromise. He suggested putting Polyairs in to help in the times when you tow the trailer, so I am having a set fitted this weekend.
AnswerID: 60016

Reply By: Of Mice & Men - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 06:43

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 06:43
Thanks everone for your replies, from all of the above poly-airs sound like the go. I will have to get a set fitted.

Thanks again OM&M
AnswerID: 60189

Sponsored Links