cracked chassis

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 20:45
ThreadID: 130565 Views:8359 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I've just completed a trip involving the Canning stock route. I did have to take my bull bar off as the winch bar cracked and the bull bar was starting to fall off. This was at Well 43. The bull bar was put on again in Alice Springs together with a new winch bar. I came home via Kakadu, Limmen NP, Lawn Hill NP. At most i would have done around 1000-1500km on gravel. When i had my car serviced my mechanic told me I had a crack in the front right chassis. I've done some research on PradoPoint and other places and it seems to be a problem with prados with Steel bull bars. I didn't notice anything recent here. The websites talk about the problem but noone seems to say anything about any solutions so I can fix it so that it doesn't happen again.
I have a Prado 150 GXL with ironman bull bar and winch.
Thanks
Robo

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 21:06

Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 21:06
It's not going to help you but the chassis cracking potential of the Prado was the reason I went with the OEM alloy bar on my 120, if the chassis cracks at least Toyota can't argue a non OEM item casued the cracking.

Now I just have to battle them at some stage in future about my inner gaurd cracking.

Oh what a feeling!!!!!!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 591470

Follow Up By: Member - Susan R1 - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 00:33

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 00:33
I received a reply which had the following in it which may help you with the guard cracking.
Toyota do have a repair "patch" for the inner guard cracking problem which I'm sure you'll be aware of if you've been looking through Pradopoint.
Robo

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 859558

Reply By: andoland - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 09:06

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 09:06
When you refer to the "winch bar" what exactly is this item?

The 150 series (and 120 series before them) have a problem with the inner guards cracking but I've not heard of a chassis cracking problem. Exactly where is the chassis cracked?

I ended up taking the winch off my Prado because in 7 years of touring I've never used it. It was 40kg that I didn't need hanging off the front of the vehicle.

Toyota do have a repair "patch" for the inner guard cracking problem which I'm sure you'll be aware of if you've been looking through Pradopoint.

AnswerID: 591481

Follow Up By: Member - Susan R1 - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 00:31

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 00:31
The winch bar I'm referring is the big circular bar behind the bull bar which the wire is wound around.
Robo

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 859557

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 13:03

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 13:03
Susan,

We’ll need some details on just what the “chassis crack” involves. Ie; what’s cracked and where.

A loose bullbar on the Canning cracked the chassis on my Navara twice! By chassis cracking, a section in the rams horn ends of the chassis held a captive nut. This nut was welded to the inside of the chassis rails prior to it being folded and formed.The nut was responsible for holding the bull bar. On the canning, the thread was crushed so the bull bar began to loosen and vibrate. this caused a piece of metal about the size of a 50c piece around the nut to break out.

This happened twice and was due largely to the lack of support for the alloy bull bar. This was rectified by extra support arms being fitted from the bull bar to mounts lower on the chassis front end.

It may be that your chassis has this sort of issue rather than a straight or more traditional type ‘crack’(a straight crack is a lot easier to fix believe me).

I’ll dig out and post a photo tonight. Meanwhile can you find out what your mechanic means by 'crack'. We need to know just what has happened and where.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 591491

Follow Up By: Member - Susan R1 - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 00:49

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 00:49
I've got a couple of photos below. This is the first time i've uploaded photos here. i hope it works
I'm unsure of where the crack occurred. My best guess is somewhere on the gravel from Roper Bar thru Limmen NP to Burketown. The crack is pretty hard to see unless the car is on a hoist or there is some light behind it.

If the photos don't come out when i post this, the crack is near where the bull bar is mounted on the right chassis rail.

The other thing which may have led to it was when my bull bar was put back on in Alice Springs 2 support arms were not. I didn't realise this until I got home and found them when i was unpacking. I had noticed my bull bar was moving around a bit more than what i thought it had before. I mentioned this to the Alice Springs mechanic - they told me it was normal movement. I wasn't aware that they had not put the bull bar on the same as it had been.

Robo

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 859559

Follow Up By: andoland - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 08:39

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 08:39
Susan,

The good news from those photos is that it's not the chassis that is cracked, it's the inner guard which is a piece of sheet metal. Toyota actually have a specific fix for this which is a formed panel that is screwed over the existing panel. Although in your case the cracking is quite extensive so I'd be looking to get that welded up before having Toyota's reinforcing panel installed.
FollowupID: 859564

Follow Up By: Rainman WA - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 09:23

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 09:23
And the part numbers for the specific fix are:

5373160100 Patch Fr fender 1
5373260060 Fr fender apron 1
9017606042 Nut cap 17
9017606042 Nut cap 17
9018906065 Grommet 8
91671A0612 Bolt flange 10
91671A0612 Bolt flange 22
9018906065 Grommet 2
FollowupID: 859565

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 13:30

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 13:30
There's an Ironman bullbar on my Isuzu. It flexes quite a lot on the rough stuff. I assume this is because of a design for airbag compatibility and also assume that sooner or later something is going to break due to metal fatigue.
AnswerID: 591496

Reply By: Vicki F2 - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 19:15

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 19:15
I unfortunately have an Ironman bullbar on our 2004 120 Prado. The tube bracket that can mount a winch cracked through on the CSR last year. It was welded on the Route and latter tied on to get home to Brisbane. We was unsuccessful in being able to purchase a replacement from Ironman as my bar was made is Australia and are now made overseas. My chassis also had cracks where the plate is welded on the front of the chassis that mounts part of the bull bar. We also had inner guard cracks on the left side.
AnswerID: 591559

Sponsored Links