rodeo duel cab 02 3.0td fuel problems

Submitted: Friday, May 21, 2004 at 19:22
ThreadID: 13062 Views:3780 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I own a 2002 3.0 tdi rodeo which I have put a 4wd systems long range fuel tank in. Since I have instyalled the tank I have been having problems with the fuel system. It seems to have somthing to do with the desiel priming pump mounted under the bonet to prime your injector pump when you run out of desiel. What is happening is I am driving along then all of a sudden the car lose's power then stops running like it is out of fuel. So I get out and I prime the pump back up ( after I have taken the hose's going in and out off it to release pressure) and it will run again. It seems to happen more when the tank is below 1/2 full. Now last service the primer pump was faulty and wouldn't prime the pump so I had holden replace it under warranty.Before I realised the I had a faulty primer pump the car ran like a dream and never broke down once. when I first installed the tank I had these fuel problems then it went away. I'm guessing it went away cause the primer pump was broke for 6 mths but I didn't put 2 an 2 together. Now less than a week after I get the car serviced and the pump replaced it's having these problems again ? Also the pump thing that you push down on top of the primer unit is liked sucked down tight like theres a vacum thats why I release the fuel in line and it release's the pressure. So I'm wondering if anyone has any idea's on what might be causing this problem. My car is the last of the old shape rodeo 5sp man 3.0l tdi 4wd duel cab done 43000ks

Regards
David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 19:39

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 19:39
David,
Sounds like you have a problem with the tank not venting properly. There should be a hose that comes out of the expansion chamber and this hose should be open to the air. On the early modles it went into the chassis rail. If this is blocked the pump will cause a vacuum and stop the flow of fuel.
The other thing that you could check is that all the hose clamps are tight and that they don't suck air, also check that the fuel filter is clean and that it is making a good seal. Either way it could be not enough air in the tank or too much air sucked into the fuel lines.
Wayne
AnswerID: 59618

Follow Up By: Davidm - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 21:12

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 21:12
I thought the same also but I have had the tank refitted again By ARB and they sorted some issues out with the breather pipe. I guess air being sucked could be a problem but it's not all the time just some times. I have checked all the pipes and they seem normal. It's only started doing this since holden replaed the fuel primer pump 300k's ago also. The old one wouldn't prime so at a guess I'm thinking it;'s got somthing to do with that primer pump but what and why has got me !

Thanks again

DavidM
FollowupID: 321245

Follow Up By: Glenno - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 22:22

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 22:22
Hey Wayne, you mention about the breater pipe going into the Chasis rail. Is this normal for other 4wd's as well? Just wondering if I should be careful when I spray the hose down the inside of the Hilux chasis rails after being on the beach.

Cheers,

Glenn
FollowupID: 321256

Reply By: ACH - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 20:16

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 20:16
Davidm, get under and around the vehicle and see if there's a simple in-line fuel filter between the tank and your "proper" filter. I've been advised (by a genuinely reliable source) that a lot of the LR tank installers put one of these things in to catch all the crap that never gets cleaned out of the LR tanks before they go to market and are installed.

Have you had a look at your regular fuel filter? When was it last changed?
AnswerID: 59627

Follow Up By: Davidm - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 21:07

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 21:07
I have just got it back from a service 300k's all new filters. There is no in line filter besides the screw in type. Like I mentioned I drove 6000ks with np then they changed the primer pump cause it wasn't priming and then after 300ks I had the same problem I had after I originally installed tank. Somehow the primer pump stoped working IE priming when I ran outta fuel but it allowed the car to run as normal. Now that it's fixed I'm having the same issue I originally had. I must be somthing to do with the primer somehow ? I am going to by pass the primer and see if I have any more troubles if not then it has to do directly with that I will have to ask holden why !

hehe that should be fun !

thanks againb guys

Davidm
FollowupID: 321244

Reply By: Savvas - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 23:14

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 23:14
I'm one of those guys that starts investigating a problem by looking at the last thing that changed. You stated that the problems originally started when the new tank was fitted. I'd be 90% certain that is where your problem lies and not with the priming pump.

I'd also suggest that the vacuum generated in the tank probably damaged the original priming pump and will be doing the same to the new one.
AnswerID: 59649

Reply By: Aandy(WA) - Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 13:43

Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 13:43
DAvidm I think Savvas is on the right track. It is logical that what you changed has caused the problem. Your case is typical of the reasons I like to stay with original equipment. Small after market equipment manufacturers do not have the R&D facilities that the vehicle manufactures have and failure of their products is all too common. Fuel tanks and suspension are classic cases. I'd restrict my after market purchases to window tints and floor mats!! Follow Savvas's suggestion and have it really checked out. I know that the "bush mechanic's" fix for fuel problems in a Disco TD is a small drill hole in the cap as the breather often fails and causes problems. Landrover are a bit like aftermarket manufacturers - not enougfh R&D.
AnswerID: 59686

Sponsored Links