Best 4wd campers for families

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 14:36
ThreadID: 130662 Views:2025 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys!

Hoping for some advice...
For the last few years we have been doing all our roadtrips and holidays in a troop carrier hi-top camper, and have LOVED every second. It's the most amazing rig for the two of us and has been perfect. Ticked all the boxes. But now - we have just found out we have a baby on the way, and troopies don't have back seats to put a baby seat. DEVASTATED that we will need to say goodbye to this beloved car.

Does anyone have any good ideas for something similar, that's just as good and set up for camping, and obviously suited to babies/families? Have looked at van options however this just doesn't suit us as we love to go off road and to more remote places.

Any advice would be amazing and thanks in advance :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonniee - Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 14:40

Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 14:40
Sorry, I should have mentioned also, that we like things very easy! No messy or time consuming setups. The Troopy was awesome because we would literally only have to pull the annex out. Done!
haha. Lazy buggers
AnswerID: 591800

Follow Up By: disco driver - Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 18:31

Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 18:31
Have you considered putting a seat and safety mounting points in the back of the troopy?.
OK, you will have to have it engineered but I'm sure that others have done similar things too.

Failing that, as an option you could always consider an OKA.

Disco.
FollowupID: 859847

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 20:46

Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 20:46
I'm with Disco on this one.

Getting engineered points is going to be a sight lot cheaper than changing vehicles. I put a normal car seat in the front of my 75 series when my son was old enough to go into one - so you have a lot more years with your LC to come.

You are already happy with the LC setup and it ticks all your boxes.

Cheers

Anthony

FollowupID: 859859

Follow Up By: 671 - Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 22:23

Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 22:23
Bonnie

I would also look into fitting a baby seat into the Troopy providing your car is not so full of gear that you can't fit one in. Have a talk to one of those child seat installation companies. If it is possible then chances are they have already done it many times.
FollowupID: 859867

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Oct 22, 2015 at 13:46

Thursday, Oct 22, 2015 at 13:46
Its Tricky Bonniee , and congratulations !

We have gone right thru that phase and are within 12 months of them leaving the nest !

Thru that whole time we have got by with our Nissan Patrols(4 of), currently a GU 4800.

Currently (and for most of the last 20years) we have removed seats and linings from our Patrols
and made a flat floor which can just take a caravan size double bed (and can fold up).

Its proved highly effective and allowed us to go on all the most difficult stuff where tents,
roof top campers and other things have not been as able.

Secret is that it delivers a flat floor at a height of only 850mm even with a 3 inch lift and allows
you to get into bed in the same way as you do at home.
I.E. No clambering over things , no ladders etc etc.

Like on troppies the side opening rear barn doors allow for a simple cover to be placed over the
top to keep out rain.

With some care a fridge goes between the front seats leaving almost all of the rear space free for the inevitable.
And the big all coil sprung chassis delivers a better ride than many others in the real rough.
Note - Our arrangements preserve the seatbelt mount points when seats are removed.

But with a baby you go thru several different setups, and can't get by without a tent sometimes.

Its almost easier when they are under about a year , but between then and about 5 they are harder to cater for and by about 5 they get their own little tent and learn to put them up themselves so things become easier again.

The car configuration needs to be able to change to accomodate these various phases.
So you have to hand-make various bits and pieces to make it all fit in.

With 1 child its not so bad as you can refit one 2nd row seat and still leave most of the flat
floor for single small bed, indeed for some years child would sleep in the car, cozy and out of danger.
In this mode parents used a small dome tent just for sleeping.

There is enough room to cook meals etc from the back of the car with a single or double bed setup.

Setting up is a lot of fun and quite low cost but it does take time to get things just right.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 591851

Sponsored Links