New hilux extra cab

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 17:11
ThreadID: 130663 Views:3499 Replies:7 FollowUps:35
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone driven the new hilux 2.8 Turbo your opinion please.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jackolux - Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 17:59

Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 17:59
I took a SR5 for a spin , went ok , nothing special , can't get a auto in a extra cab , that's a deal breaker for me .
AnswerID: 591806

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 19:02

Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 19:02
Went for test drive yesterday. When they told me no auto in extra cab I walked out. Very limited options for a extra cab in a Ranger also. BT50 have one so will go there next.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 859848

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 19:47

Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 19:47
My present ute is an ageing 75 series due for replacement soon. I had the cab extended many years ago not long after purchase. I am looking at an extra cab, space cab whatever you call it. Sick of manual gear box so next vehicle will be an auto. No kids to cart around these days, they all have their own 4WD's, so would rather have the extra tray length than another row of seats that will get next to no use. The wife's RAV 4 is the grannymobile LOL.
Could be a deal breaker for me too.

Pity, the local Toyota dealer just sent us an email inviting us for a test drive.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 859852

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 21:06

Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 21:06
What are Toyota thinking. 3 potential sales lost in less than a day.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 859861

Follow Up By: Gramps - Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 22:01

Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 22:01
Can't believe Toyota are STILL refusing to offer an auto transmission in the extra cabs. This goes back to at least 2004.

Regards
FollowupID: 859865

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Friday, Oct 23, 2015 at 14:26

Friday, Oct 23, 2015 at 14:26
I was going to say where else do you go for an Auto Extra cab? And do the numbers on the tray size before you jump the gun. The new Hilux has the longest and widest tub of all the double cabs. Having said that I am surprised there is no Auto in an extra Cab, they have 30 something models you reckon one more wouldn't hurt?
FollowupID: 859974

Reply By: Slow one - Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 18:57

Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 18:57
These people have driven them all and give an evaluation.

New 2015 4x4 utes
AnswerID: 591807

Follow Up By: friar - Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 21:03

Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 21:03
Thanks everyone for your replies, no auto not for me, will look at a twin cab, have a Prado 2007 D4D diesel,with 260th on the clock was thinking about upgrading,
FollowupID: 859860

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 21:22

Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 21:22
These reviews are written by journalists on the gravy train.
Readers here are far better equipped to evaluate what is right for them than these drongo's.
You know what you are going to use the vehicle for, so do your own research and buy accordingly. For example reliability is very important to an outback remote traveler. A new Hi-lux is all new from the ground up, so while it is still a Toyota it is not tried and tested as yet. Whereas something like a D-Max does not have the same bells and whistles but is at this point in time maybe a better choice as it has the runs on the board.

If you are thinking of a new vehicle or you just want to have a laugh check out some of the You Tube video's done by John Cadogan at https://www.youtube.com/user/AutoExpertTV

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 859862

Follow Up By: Slow one - Thursday, Oct 22, 2015 at 16:00

Thursday, Oct 22, 2015 at 16:00
Chris,
when you are looking for a new vehicle you have to start somewhere and the above is a good place to start.

You then go on and find others that have them or you test drive and evaluate for yourself.

That, or you believe the manufacturers about being unbreakable or watching a d-max snatch a vehicle out in reverse with a lot of gusto.

FollowupID: 859911

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Friday, Oct 23, 2015 at 14:41

Friday, Oct 23, 2015 at 14:41
Those reviews do not test long term reliability. Those reviews also put weight on who has the biggest pay load for example. It's a known fact that Toyota are conservative and purposely put their payloads at a lower figure because they are in it for the long haul. The older Navara D22's had a bigger payload and towing capacity figures than the outgoing Hilux, are you kidding? What a joke. The sales figures will determine who has the best product. The new Hilux will outsell the competition like it always does because the package is put together with reliability and longevity in mind.
FollowupID: 859975

Follow Up By: Slow one - Friday, Oct 23, 2015 at 19:19

Friday, Oct 23, 2015 at 19:19
Terra Firma,
I don't think you know where I am coming from. To start with I really couldn't care what vehicle the OP buys or which vehicle is the beat or worst. What I did was give an address to a review that has all the utes and I haven't even read it. Did they say what size the Hi-lux tray and tub was, probably yes and I would be unhappy if they didn't.

Again, it is the starting point to look at brands and which ones may tick the boxes for you.

The new Hi-luxes may be good, I don't know and what is worse I don't care. I have one of those utes you mention and it has never had a fault, guess what I haven't promoted it or said anything about it. I just gave a starting point for the OP.

Aaaah!
FollowupID: 859979

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Friday, Oct 23, 2015 at 22:47

Friday, Oct 23, 2015 at 22:47
Know where you are coming from. Just don't agree with the way the reviews are done as they are misleading. You post a link I post a response, as long as I can remember its always been that way! LOL
FollowupID: 859986

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 18:03

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 18:03
Why would comments here be any better than the reviews?
FollowupID: 860083

Reply By: Dion - Thursday, Oct 22, 2015 at 09:58

Thursday, Oct 22, 2015 at 09:58
The D-Max Space/Extra Cab has an automatic option on both the tub and cab chassis/tray models.
AnswerID: 591831

Reply By: Gary W7 - Thursday, Oct 22, 2015 at 11:43

Thursday, Oct 22, 2015 at 11:43
Ditto for me !
Had a test drive in a twin cab SR5 and thought it was OK although for a supposed new vehicle from the ground up it seemed no better than my 2013 Navara in terms or ride and performance. Thought it was a bit "doughy"

Also want an extra cab in auto with a tray back (sr model) but they don't want my money.
AnswerID: 591840

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Oct 23, 2015 at 09:41

Friday, Oct 23, 2015 at 09:41
Very refined and quiet new engine. I haven't driven it off road but from all reports it's exceptional. I love the interior. Didn't get to drive it for too long but I expect it will continue the tradition as the number one in sales. Ticks all the boxes well. The Ranger is doing well in the reviews but the reliability long term is questionable, everyone I know who has one has had some small issues within the first year and second year. The reviews do not test for long term reliability so they never come into my calculations.
AnswerID: 591883

Reply By: swampy - Sunday, Oct 25, 2015 at 10:46

Sunday, Oct 25, 2015 at 10:46
HI
Who says Toyota look after its clients . No better than any of the other utes .
Many many options and models still donot come to Aust. To top off the new model it only offers a 2.8 lt with a ""little"" more torque . The new model is not earth shattering.The Toyotas have a shrinking reputation .
Donot even get me started on 2wd work utes . A class where Toyotas are a tru rippoff . Featureless to boot!!

swampy
AnswerID: 591945

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 11:15

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 11:15
Swampy, There is no doubting Toyota engineers are very conservative. The outgoing Hilux had a conservative payload, a conservative towi rating etc. The Toyota engineers haven't built the most powerful engine and don't tag their vehicles with the heaviest payloads but there is a reason for that. They wan't the product to stand the test of time. You can either embrace that culture or hate it, it's a free market nowadays with lot's of choices. If you buy a car on specifications alone then go and buy the Ranger or BT50, but if you buy proven then the Hilux has earned it's reputation. Certainly I am finding a lot of people frustrated by Toyota's conservatism.
FollowupID: 860058

Follow Up By: swampy - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 14:05

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 14:05
HI
Terra Firma
Toyota is conservative no doubt . But the reasons are interesting.
Conservative from there cultural side is shrinking .
Majority is marketing
Plain vehicles do appeal to the widest customer base and cost less .
Once u are at the top of the market and [sales are continiously high] manufacturers of any product spend a restricted amount on development . Marketing 101 They donot have to !!
The diesel 2wd market is a major ripoff.
The lack off power is all causing people u to purchase a cruiser v8 . Marketing at its best !!
The main cause off expense is when the dollar is bellow the 80-85 cent mark
As with all things the usa is cheaper again / far better value
The Australia tax
Australia is a very profitable market ,no wonder at the inflated prices

swampy

FollowupID: 860062

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 14:15

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 14:15
From TerraFirma "but if you buy proven then the Hilux has earned it's reputation."
The new Hi-Lux is brand new everything - it has yet to prove anything. Toyota's strategy is to use advertising and marketing better than anyone else, at which, it succeeds.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 860063

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 16:13

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 16:13
Chris, The new Hilux maybe new from the ground up but I think your missing the point. Toyota engineers don't take risks or go out on a limb with their designs so whilst the new model is a new design it's safe to say they designed the vehicle well within it's limits. This philosophy is perhaps different to the new Navara for example. Toyota stays with leaf suspension, Nissan goes independent. Nissan goes for a twin turbo 2 smaller engine capacity, Toyota a more conservative approach. The payload capacity was also kept at a minimum even though the vehicle is capable of more. Toyota have released many all new vehicles that have been bullet proof. The 4WD ute market is super competitive, some car makers are making aggressive decisions to capture market share, just take a look at the VW Defeat device for example. The outgoing VW CEO was known for his ruthless approach and this is in stark contrast to Toyota who remain conservative. Toyota marketing is not to blame for anything as you suggest, their reputation has been earned over time. That's why when you venture into the outback or the middle of Australia it's the vehicle of choice and the sales figures reiterate their reputation. You may not like this and that's why you have a choice. Go and buy whatever you want, but don't dispute the facts.
FollowupID: 860069

Follow Up By: swampy - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 16:42

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 16:42
hi
When Toyota starts importing some serious engine, gbox, chassis options I will believe they are listening .At maximum payload any ute turns into an absolute useless vehicle . Towing at this level [100% duty cycle] wears vehicles out quickly .
At what point does the new hilux require load levelers [probably approx 1800kgs] [this spec will be in the fine detail somewhere].Requiring load levelers is not a great advert for good chassis design.

swampy
FollowupID: 860072

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 16:55

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 16:55
"Bullet proof" What about the 200 series when it was first released, it had issues.
"The payload capacity was also kept at a minimum even though the vehicle is capable of more." where is the evidence of this? With the last Hi-Lux if you add a winch, a bull bar and one front seat passenger and you are over weight on the front axle and hence unroadworthy, great design - not.
"it's safe to say they designed the vehicle well within it's limits." again your opinion, where is the evidence.
"don't dispute the facts." My definition of a fact is something that will stand up in a court of law, not something that is opinion.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 860073

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 17:08

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 17:08
Wow Chris you really have some pent up emotion coming through in your words. Sounds like you hate Toyota Imo. There must be thousands of unroadworthy Hilux's on the road then with winches and bull bars hey? So the Hilux is a real bad 4wd according to you, it makes you wonder how in the hell they've broken every sales record up until now? I love asking the question "why do so many people buy them" and then I love the response the Toyota haters comeback with! If you think Toyota are that bad I'd love to know what you think of the others? LOL
FollowupID: 860077

Follow Up By: swampy - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 17:40

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 17:40
hi
the moral of the story is all ute makers have good and bad points.
Although if you are similar me I am sick to death of having a ute that costs plenty and under delivers .
Like most although a great accessory central locking electric windows . Leave these at home if it costs extra .
All most people want is a reliable powerful tough ute with reasonable economy .

Toyota lives by a simple recipe for Aust and as long as it works the marketing people will not change . It will be there undoing ..

Yes I own a Hilux and a Ranger I would own neither if it were possible .

Just because it sells well does not make it the best vehicle out there .
I seem to remember """car of the year"" having at least 4 different transmission oils [not retail available] and 4 different transmission repair kits """

Dodge ram long w/base single cab with diesel 4.5 ton towing $30,000 usa

Beats the hell out of a hilux work/ tow ute

This was on the sunrise show
I hope it will come to Oz
swampy
FollowupID: 860081

Follow Up By: GREG T11 - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 22:29

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 22:29
I reckon it is more a case of other manufacturers overrating their product to appeal to a market. The payload or Gvm are all similar, it is the ATM that differs. You may be legal on a formed road but most have a disclaimer somewhere saying off bitumen reduce your weight, which probably brings you down to where a hilux is rated anyway.

You have to go back to the era of 2000 - 2007 to get a true indication of what these utes are capable of as far as chassis design. Lets face it the dynamics have not changed much. Still mostly leaf spring rear, still mostly disc/drum. The only difference is the diesels are putting out more power, However the V6 petrol s of that era were up with the outputs of todays diesel variants so what has changed to enable a whopping 1.5 tonne or more towing capacity? That is nearly 3/4 of the tare weight. increase.
FollowupID: 860090

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 22:34

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 22:34
+ 1 Greg..
FollowupID: 860091

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 04:46

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 04:46
I have had 3 Hilux , I have just sold my last one a D4D 3lt , is was far from bullet proof

Chris is right about the front axle being overloaded , with Bar , Winch

The mates and l have access to a weigh bridge , we have been weighing our vehicles for years ,we were / are all over ,

I would not buy this new model Hilux , not yet anyway , l would wait and see if there are any issues with the new 2.8 motor , because there was plenty of problems with the 3Lt - D4D and l mean plenty . This l know first hand , with any luck Toyota learned with the last Hilux and V8 and the 2.8 will be good .
FollowupID: 860096

Follow Up By: swampy - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:16

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:16
HI
Jackolux
If u think ute makers learn that's why the rear diff filler plug in my Ford Ranger is 25mm to low from factory . The fix is to jack up one side of the rear axle so u can fit more oil in .Pathetic .Gearbox 5th gear issues .REALLY!!!!
HOW LONG HAVE THESE BASIC VEHICLES BEEN MADE FOR ,,, only 50 years

Although this may border on a new subject its still relevant I will start a new topic

swampy
FollowupID: 860105

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:29

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:29
Hey Swampy how do you have the luxury of owning a Ford Ranger and Hilux at the same time? I would love to be able to alternate between the 2 and test the Ranger over time. My Hilux is up to 280,000Km's now and has been very reliable and costs me bugger all to service/keep on the road. I think the Ranger is a great design however I hear so many things like the one you mentioned with the diff filler. What about the oil change issue and having to re-prime the pump if you drain it too long?
FollowupID: 860106

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 11:21

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 11:21
Yeah Swampy , l did say with any luck , so we can only hope .
FollowupID: 860107

Follow Up By: swampy - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 17:39

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 17:39
Hi
Ford PK ranger single cab 3.0lt diesel 85,000km work ute
Good power
Fuel economy fair 12lt /100 no load
some parts are reasonable priced

can be sensitive on the clutch if ur not use to it [easy to stall ]
engine does not lug very well around idle
new injectors 70,000km very very bad economy 300-400 per tank Ford did not pick this !!!!
Air conditioner is absolute rubbish never never never worked 300psi head pressure 25c day
power steering whining sound been there on off since 1000km
good luck getting the cheap wheel nuts off
Tail shaft centre spline stuffed at 50,000km still an issue
drivers seat splits badly bottom and back section
Compared to local hire hiluxs there seats are spotless although worn
Bad deteriation of trim even during warranty period
Local Ford Dealer is hopless Camicheal Ford

Hilux
2012 3.0lt diesel dualcab
power poor ,below average
economy 10lt/100km as they advertised
air con great
cruise control great ,first car with this yea ha

careful of the dealers the upgrade model was only suppose to be 1000$ dearer Toyota Fact
Many many dealers were 4000-5000 sticker price higher
Guenuine Accessories can be a rippoff shop around a lot
Headlights full of crazy cracking BAD 4yold
3 clutches

swampy
FollowupID: 860118

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 18:02

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 18:02
"Bullet proof" What about the 200 series when it was first released, it had issues.
"The payload capacity was also kept at a minimum even though the vehicle is capable of more." where is the evidence of this? With the last Hi-Lux if you add a winch, a bull bar and one front seat passenger and you are over weight on the front axle and hence unroadworthy, great design - not.
"it's safe to say they designed the vehicle well within it's limits." again your opinion, where is the evidence.
"don't dispute the facts." My definition of a fact is something that will stand up in a court of law, not something that is opinion.
Chris at LB's ration truck
Lifetime Member: My Profile My Blog My Position Send Message

The outgoing model had a higher towing capacity overseas
Toyota Australia derated the capacity here to suit our conditions

Comparing any product sold here to what they pay in the USA is irrelevant, they pay least half what we do for most vehicles

As far as the Toyota reliability argument goes, I think you can see the true answer if you take the personal prejudice out of it and just look at what the bean counters buy in the large corporations
It is all about the true cost of motoring with them

FollowupID: 860073
FollowupID: 860120

Follow Up By: swampy - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 19:00

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 19:00
HI
unfortunately the current hilux and maybe the new one is no ,4,5 ton truck far from it .
The hilux is not even built similar to some 3 ton trucks .
Heavier springs /suspension and drive train

Slightly separate note inside a Pk Pj Ranger manual warranty conditions it states "" not suitable for towing " [fom memory ]
[must be about the wear and tare/ warranty ]
If u remember the ad on tv it had a Ranger towing about 10,20 items

Never again Ford

To everyone go buy a Toyota but be warned !

swampy
FollowupID: 860161

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 21:06

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 21:06
Swampy,
the pj,pk ranger is a mazda with a ford badge.

Sons PJ work ute, 180000K with no problems with anything and it was fully loaded every day.
Guess he was better at looking after vehicles than some.

My dirty old 3.2 doughy ford px ranger has towed a 2500kg van with the vehicle loaded at 3100kg for 60000K with again no problems. Guess I am just lucky.

FollowupID: 860167

Follow Up By: swampy - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 23:37

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 23:37
hi
thanks for the heads up .
My vehicle was serviced at Ford till the issuses arose !!!
Unfortunately amongst business friends BT50 thrown conrod 200 other hiluxes no problem .
3 weeks out of warranty rejected on claim
Plumber mate 08 bt50 100% towing 2 ton trailer blown diff in warranty rejected claim
workshop vehicleDarwin pj blown egr cooler cracked head and 5 gear issues 1 yr out of warranty claim rejected

I think Ford owns controlling percentage of Mazda
swampy
FollowupID: 860175

Follow Up By: Slow one - Thursday, Oct 29, 2015 at 07:10

Thursday, Oct 29, 2015 at 07:10
Yep,Ford has the amazing controlling interest in Mazda of around and wait for it 2%. By around 2008 they had sold of their mazda interest.

Yes, there is a problem with the OLD pj/pk ranger mazda bt50 erg coolers the same as hi-luxes have problems. Why are you mentioning old models of a vehicle made by Mazda but rebadged as a Ford and then blaming Ford for perceived manufacturing faults.

Sorta remember turbo landcruisers doing crankshaft bearings but that is going back a few years so it means nothing. Sorta remember landcruisers with a transfer to gearbox oil seal problem that went on for years, sorta remember cruiser idler shafts wearing out in the transfer, sorta remember 100 series front diff not quiet being strong enough, sorta remember 75 series rear axle bolts being a tad undersize and breaking, sorta remember some 200 and 70 series using a lot of oil. Guess you have forgotten about that. What is the point of going back to old models as manufacturers improve vehicles all the time and it proves nothing.

Hiluxes do break or have you forgotten the d4d motor that had an engine destroying injector problem.

As for brand blindness, this is only the second ford I have owned, but I have owned 4 Toyotas and driven many more.

FollowupID: 860186

Follow Up By: swampy - Thursday, Oct 29, 2015 at 20:12

Thursday, Oct 29, 2015 at 20:12
hi
Slow one
I stand corrected that Ford sold its percentage in Mazda . I take it the factory in Thailand is Mazda owned then.
Basically just explaining to people what my experience has been with relatively late model comparison .Purchasing is only half the equation, reliability and after sales service is important and very relevant to all current or not so current models

swampy
FollowupID: 860233

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Oct 29, 2015 at 23:28

Thursday, Oct 29, 2015 at 23:28
Sorta nothing happened to my Hilux and done 270k now, sorta nothing happened to my wife's 200 series either? Sorta boring that nothing really breaks cos Sorta woulda loved saying "Bugger". Don't get brand blindness confused with Loyalty? I think the Ranger is a fantastic design but I can't help thinking the engineering is about generating sales, Toyota's engineering seems to piss people off because they are conservative. If you intend on owning either outta warranty then the engineering or reliability of components is important. The bean counters buy Toyota for this very reason, however if the Ranger can achieve long term reliability and low cost of ownership then they are a serious threat and potential winning formula. Lot of water to flow under the bridge yet IMO..!
FollowupID: 860244

Follow Up By: swampy - Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 13:12

Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 13:12
Agreed.
On the 2014 models and prior. Each new model and the assessment starts again.The race is so close now between brands .Toyota just has the edge but barely in my experience .In saying that Toyota does appear arrogant and that is whats loosing them ground .
They are no1 ""Its theres to loose""
Proof is I think Ranger has outsold hilux has it not in some months ??

My preference is Tojota but barely

swampy
FollowupID: 860272

Reply By: Idler Chris - Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 22:11

Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 22:11
The eight main contenders in the diesel ute/tray/chassis market are Ranger, BT50, Triton, Navara, Amorok, Hilux, Colorado, and D-Max. 7 of these vehicles are built by a car companies and one is built by a truck company. The demographic of this market is changing away from a workhorse towards a family friendly vehicle. 7 of these companies are trying to make their vehicles more car like and so appeal to more of the market. I would expect the Ford Ranger, which is very car like, to outsell the Hilux, which tries to retain some of it toughness, for the foreseable future. If you are after an outback tourer on which you can rely, you need a truck. There is only one vehicle in this group whose DNA is "truck".

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 592162

Sponsored Links