Welford NP (Qld) - 4WD only?

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 15:21
ThreadID: 130712 Views:2440 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
About half-way down this page there are three "self-guided scenic drives". Each is labelled "4WD access only".

Having driven on (too numerous to count) "4WD only" roads/tracks that weren't really deserving of that tag, I am always a bit dubious whether this is for real or just butt-covering by the body assigning that classification.

Clearly there are "4WD-only" tracks that ARE 4WD only. Does anyone have recent experience of these three who can provide more info - other than when the Barcoo is in flood, is it requiring:
(a) high clearance
(b) fording creek crossings
(c) all-day sand capability
(d) something else?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ian.g - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 16:00

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 16:00
Nothing in Welford National Park that would worry most people, have been over the total park in a Ford Escape a number of years ago. Would be a different story if you were unfortunate enough to get caught in there if it rained. Camp ground at the Little Boomerang Waterhole is a really good spot for a couple of days if you have time. Regards Ian
AnswerID: 592021

Follow Up By: ian.g - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 10:19

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 10:19
Couple of photos of Little Boomerang Waterhole and Camp Ground.
FollowupID: 860139

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 11:19

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 11:19
Hey Zippo…

This park is generally accessible to SUV style vehicles, but is not a wet weather park, and would avoid if there is any hint of rain, unless you are happy to sit it out for a few days – you could do worse things!

In my opinion this is a beautiful park that is quite diverse, so take the time to do the drives and enjoy the scenery.

And something you might like to do is visit the site of the Old Shanty in the famous poem “The Bush Christening” by Banjo Paterson – this is nearby to the park, and take the time to stop by the Jundah Pub – they’re a friendly bunch!

You can read some more about the region in my blog The Bush Christening On the Outer Barcoo..

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 592046

Reply By: Member - TonyV - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 13:29

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 13:29
There is always some butt covering in the term '4WD only' tracks.

NP cannot predict the capabilities of individual drivers or the capability of the chosen vehicle. Occasionally even people in 4WD's get stuck on relatively mild tracks.
Recently on the Bloomfield (designated as a 4WD track north of Cape Tribulation) after a light rain fall, 2 x 2WD's got hopelessly stuck, the track was closed for 2 days, people recovered the first day and the second day until the vehicles were recovered.

Zippo, it appears from your question that you seek validation to do this in a 2WD.

In QLD, if designated a 4WD track then if you drive the track in a 2WD, that the vehicle insurance and 3rd part will not be valid.
That should a 2WD become stuck, any recovery will be done at cost and fines are applicable for failing to obey signage.

This also is the same for 'restricted or closed' road signage.

I understand that there may be a lot of replies saying that these tracks
- are easy
- done it in a 2WD HQ
- I did it in 19XX in a ..... (pick a vehicle)
- bureaucracy gone mad
- bloody pen pushers behind desk in Brisvagas....
- etc.

From what I have seen and experienced that over the past 30 years in particular, the more rules broken, the more track/places get closed.

So I am not saying it can't be done, I am asking people to consider the consequences.
AnswerID: 592053

Follow Up By: Member - Blue M - Thursday, Oct 29, 2015 at 01:55

Thursday, Oct 29, 2015 at 01:55
Tony,
You are right in what you say in your first paragraph.
It's a bit like walking tracks with signs that state the following :-

Fitness level required for this track.

1st 500 Mtrs, Easy
2nd 700 Mtrs, Easy to Moderate
Last 350 Mtrs, Moderate to Hard.

Now who are they erecting the sign for, the fit 20 year olds, or the elderly, short legged rotund person as myself.

It doesn't matter what a sign states, it will not necessarily apply to everyone.

Cheers

FollowupID: 860182

Follow Up By: Zippo - Thursday, Oct 29, 2015 at 19:45

Thursday, Oct 29, 2015 at 19:45
Tony, no I wasn't seeking validation or anything 2WD. Please try to NOT read or impute meaning or intent.

Over the decades since I obtained a license I have driven over all sorts of roads/tracks both here and overseas, mostly in 2WD. Many times the tracks were tagged "4WD only" and I have come away wondering - as my question did - which of the listed criteria was/were the trigger for that tag in the case referenced in the thread title. That is what I thought I asked.
FollowupID: 860230

Sponsored Links