Burnt loom uodate

Submitted: Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 13:04
ThreadID: 13072 Views:1398 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Yesterday Uncle came around to measure up for some lekky work that the missus wants done to the house and at about 10am we had a quick look under the bonnet of Rosie. By 5pm we had it sorted...almost....

We very carefully pulled the loom wires apart and isolated the damged ones. Somehow the main damage was done to both wires running to the ampmeter. We replaced these wires and Uncle repaired all the other wires and cleaned the fuse box while I pulled the dash apart. By 5pm we had everything spick and span(or so we thought).....Connected everything again and there was a short in the power supply. I stuck my hand down near the starter mortor and the truck cranked without the key being turned on. So we left it overnight and this morning we found that the startermotor was shorting out. Two wires had been pushed together when I had that slight mishap on the Birdsville Track a couple of weeks ago and were shorting out intermittently. Repaired that and the old truck is runnig sweetly again ready for the next adventure which commences today week.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Banjo - Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 13:13

Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 13:13
Good one Willem.....Uncs are often a bonus in life........do you sometimes wonder that if you replaced Rosie, you might be in the chasm that many forumites are in............when problems arise, the technical areas are so crammed with widgets that we can't even see vital parts, let alone get in the fix them. I often think that the Jack should go for a 1HZ troopy, but not keen on the comfort factor....then again...........
AnswerID: 59682

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 14:03

Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 14:03
Yes, when I looked at the mess I was about to say that I will start looking again for another truck.............but will I be able to repair a newby that easily? So we soldier on with the old truck.

Cheers
FollowupID: 321288

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 18:45

Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 18:45
Willem, I think I am more pleased to hear that Uncle came around to visit than the fact that Rosie is repaired (almost). Hope that she runs well into the Flinders for Judith to have her cultural experience/inspiration. Hope the weather bodes well. Looking like precipitation once more. Not much word from the fishermen - though they have been filleting quickly and placing in freezer rather than watery cooler.
AnswerID: 59710

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 18:53

Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 18:53
Hello Ruth,

Looks like both Uncle and Rosie are on the mend and ready for more.

Hope your blokes have enough rum left to last the fishing trip.

We are having visitors upon visitors...busy time now. Had a chat to Pesty in Clare on Thursday. Looks like an EO get together at Berri mid June.

Maybe we can have one like that at Birdsville one day when the flies go on holiday :-)

Cheers
FollowupID: 321300

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 21:02

Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 21:02
Yes I agree with Ruth, I was happier reading that Uncle was up and about and hanging around with you again Willem.....and of course that Rosie is fit and well also............GREAT NEWS!
FollowupID: 321325

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 23:06

Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 23:06
Very common problem there Willem , Starers have caused fires under dashes for years . I am glad you found it now & not had to rewire again. I would also replace the regulator with so much shorting , it may have been effected and start to allow 18 or so volts to the battery , very nasty
FollowupID: 321338

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 11:02

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 11:02
Thanks Eric....I will go and see what the regulator is pumping out.

I was seriously thinking that if I had to replace the loom, replacing the truck would be easier :-)
FollowupID: 321364

Reply By: Des Lexic - Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 23:25

Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 23:25
Glad to hear the good news on Rosie and Uncle Milton. Do you think Uncle Milton and Aunty Ruth might like to come to Lock 4 since they are both up and about now.
AnswerID: 59739

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 11:23

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 11:23
Which Aunty Ruth are you referring to. Uncle Milton's missus(Ruth) or The Princess of the Desert ? Don't think Uncle can afford to bring the juice sucking Troopie down to the river but I'll ask him.
FollowupID: 321366

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 21:48

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 21:48
I was thinking of the Princess of the Desert but you could bring both of them down. Quick trip from Birdsville to P/bura and then leasurely time on the river. What more could a Princess want.
FollowupID: 321431

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 22:13

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 22:13
Was thinking along the same lines Mr Lexic, if Hwmbo can go fishing then Swmbo should a least be given a leave pass to attend important functions like swaggin it on the river bank flashin her EO card with other Flashers on June LWE ?

Hi Willem, glad to hear good news about Rosie, catchya in June LWE.
FollowupID: 321435

Sponsored Links