Driving Lights - Advice

I'm sure this subject gets a run every now again, anyway I'm looking to install set a of driving lights on budget, yes I would love a hugely expensive set, but we are on a bit of a budget. So I've narrowed it down to a set of Fyrlyt's for about $600 for a pair and would love to hear from anyone who has had any experience with this brand. They seem to stack up in some comparision tests and the price is pretty good.

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 08:04

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 08:04
Hi Gerard,
I personally have IPF 900's with a HID conversion kit fitted.
On another forum I visit, there has been recent talk about the Fyrlyt's, all POSITIVE & I believe they are fantastic no questions asked if you have a warranty problem.
They are locally made (SA I think) .....which I like also.
They are a brand that I will be looking at when next, I have to get a new set of lights!
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 592254

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 08:21

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 08:21
I have had them in the past and will soon be buying another pair. Excellent light and a reasonable price. Te best bang for your buck IMHO.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 860373

Follow Up By: Roachie Silverado - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 15:41

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 15:41
Over the past 25+ years I've tried all sorts of lighting set-ups, from Narva to Hella to Lightforce (I've had 2x 240 Blitz, then 2x XGT, then 2x XGT HID, then 4x 170, then 4x 170 converted to HID etc.

Finally I got wise!!!!

I bought a pair of Fyrlyts (150s) about 3 years ago and installed them on my Landcruiser 100 series. They are bloody brilliant....heaps better than ANY of my previous set-ups.

The only slight "problem" I found was that I wasn't getting as much spread light off to the sides of the road, even with the Fylyts set to the "spread" setting. So, I added a 32" LED light bar on the front of the roof rack. THAT was then an even better set-up as the light bar spreads almost 180 degrees and showed me where skippy was in the range of 20 to 50 meters ahead/to the side of me.

Now, on the Silverado, I've got the same Fyrlyts and have a 180watt 4-row LED bar mounted in between them in the middle of the bullbar (the benefit of having a wide truck I guess).

FollowupID: 860387

Follow Up By: gerard m2 - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 20:47

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 20:47
Love the set up
FollowupID: 860469

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 08:23

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 08:23
My HID's are in a cupboard downstairs. I use a single eBay $130 24 inch light bar now. No more hot spots or beams that change depending on the load or going around corners or blinding me at every street sign.
I'm a light bar convert. If you drive faster than 120 at night you'll be looking past the beam, but at 100 I find it perfect.
AnswerID: 592257

Follow Up By: Whirlwinder - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 14:51

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 14:51
If you drive faster than 120 at night you are a bloody idiot!
FollowupID: 860385

Reply By: taswegian - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 09:06

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 09:06
A mate has just purchased a 26'' light Bar for $120 from Ebay, its performance is amazing. Well worth some research.
AnswerID: 592260

Reply By: gerard m2 - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 09:58

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 09:58
Thanks every one for the responses. I'll look at the light bars, but I'm pretty keen on the Fyrlyts.
AnswerID: 592262

Reply By: Whirlwinder - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 14:55

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 14:55
I too am a convert to a lightbar. In 17 years with my 80 series which had 9" lights I would have used them seriously 5 times. Now with the 76 series which has no driving lights I fitted a 22" lightbar which was a freebie with a 3" exhaust system from 4wdsupacentre I am converted. Much better vision especially to the sides and the standard high beam does the centre. I know the driving lights have testosterone value but lightbars have common sense value.
AnswerID: 592271

Follow Up By: friar - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 15:39

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 15:39
Another happy Chappy with a $60 light bar off eBay fitted & used for the 1st time on the weekend, time will tell if it is good value, all up with a switch@ relay push on fittings just over $100. John
FollowupID: 860386

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 19:57

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 19:57
If you want to buy Fyrlights, go with them.

A better alternative to light bars are the smaller, round LED lights like Peak Explorers or Great Whites. Even the LED lights sold by Jaycar might be worth a try. The bigger ones have a claimed 10K lumens each.

From my experience, a lot of the light bars tend to lack penetration, while short and medium lighting is very good. A pair of HID's, or Fyrlights :-), teamed with LEDs are the ultimate on outback roads.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 592281

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 13:39

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 13:39
For the last 30ish years I've had big lights on the front of my vehicles ..... first Cibbie Super Oscars, back when that was what more than half the rally cars used...... more recently I have used relativly modest brands.

In the last 20 odd years you could spend a large amount of money on lights ..... just like you could spend a lott of money on fancy joggers ..... or you could buy something modest that did the job pretty much just as well.

In the last year or so LED has realy started to come along ...... actually I'd say in the last 6 months price and availablity has realy improved ..... I'm about to fit my first set of LED driving lights as soon as I get the time.

There is so much good LED product out there ...... there is absolutely no way I would buy HID and realy I would not be buying halogen either.

I have a pretty modest 30 watt LED lights to go on ...... they are brighter, whiter, smoother and wider than the 10 inch 100watt halogens I am currently running, that is in spread beam I plan on fitting 2 in spread and one narrow ...... and they retail at $129 ..... I buy wholesale so 2/3 that.
They are ip66 rated and have stanless fittings.

That is an idea of what is available ...... there is so much choice out there, both in bar form and more conventional round form ...... and they are mostly more compact.

Have a good look around at what is available in LED.

Don't be tempted to go too bright ...... but I've been telling people that for years .....Unlike in the past there is no physical limit to brightness............. bright lights will just make your eyes iris down and when you have to dip to low beam that has a legally specified brightness, you will be pretty much blind.

all the best
cheers
AnswerID: 592309

Reply By: gerard m2 - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 20:10

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 20:10
Thanks for all the replies, I have learnt quite a lot about driving lights. As an bit of an update, I emailed Fyrlyt with a couple of questions and to my surprise had a call from one of the owners/designers. Really nice guy who answered all my questions without hesitation. I think it's a done deal on the Fyrlyts now - brillaint pre-sales service.
AnswerID: 592317

Sponsored Links