Water Filters

Submitted: Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 13:33
ThreadID: 130768 Views:1450 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Anybody run a Reverse Osmosis water filter system in their van,if so do you recommend them.
Cheers
Humpback
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: K&FT - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 13:42

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 13:42
No but I have always been interested in how well they work in a caravan setting. I think a good idea when water supply is brackish just to create good drinking supply.

frank
AnswerID: 592267

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 14:25

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 14:25
Don't use one but if you do decide to get one you need an extremely good pre filter system otherwise it'll block up very quickly.
AnswerID: 592270

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 15:28

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 15:28
Traditionally, RO has been very power hungry.
Never had problems getting water that was not too salty to drink. Different on an ocean boat.
Add some chlorine to kill the bugs and then filter with active carbon at 1um has always been sufficient.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 592273

Reply By: Member - Jim B8 - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 20:30

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 20:30
I use a different system, it doesnt do everything though. I have a filter and UV system that works well inland, in rivers, but not worth trying with salt. I use a 12 volt pump to deliver water from the river (too many crocs up here) and pump into my tanks via a filter/UV unit. First filter is a sediment filter, 1 micron, second is a 0.5 micron carbon filter, then it goes through an ultra violet light to kill bugs. So far, it has worked well, but I have reservations that it is for all occasions.
Inland rivers can carry a lot of silt, and the first filter is the first to go. You have to carry spare filters, I got mine on ebay, but a 10 inch filter is common. I have never had to change a carbon filter yet, but it will come in time. In time, I will add a third, coarser filter in front of the other 2

I messed up and dropped the whole thing on the road when travelling, had to get some spares from US, again ebay helped.
Taste and clarity has been awesome so far - I only use it for potable water. And scotch water - probably a bit hopeful wanting shower water from any system? I know some people messing with floc dosing for shower water, but this has some bad press. I would shower in it, no worries.

My experience with RO is - last resort in saline water, for drinking water only, very needy and expensive for general use water, it would drive you mad. My opinion only.
So what I have been using is limited, but worth considering. Definitely useless for saline water, but better than leaving the site.
AnswerID: 592282

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 08:53

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 08:53
I've had no experience with portable RO systems but some years experience with lab systems using potable water as the feedstock. I would suggest that a regular disinfection schedule would be vital with poorer quality feedstock as it is required even with potable water. Microbiological fouling of the membrane is a common cause of failure. Systems I have used had a receptacle for a hypochlorite tablet and a disinfection cycle.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 592302

Sponsored Links