Consumer guarantees

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 05:47
ThreadID: 130780 Views:1235 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
It seems that many buyers not to mention retailers & manufacturers aren't up to speed on the uniform national Australian Consumer Law introduced in 2011.

Here's a plain English summary:https://www.accc.gov.au/publications/consumer-guarantees-a-guide-for-consumers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 10:06

Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 10:06
The RV industry is a prime example of refusing consumers their rights under legistlation. The Cook and I had a row over the quality etc of our van from a major retailer in WA. Everything we complained about was disregarded and the cliché of "built to caravan industry standards" was constantly used.
Those standards mean of course anything they can get away with especially if covered by a pretty skin.
Neither retailer or manufacturer would fix the thing until we took it to consumer affairs and then small claims court action.
Of course if it had just meant a bit of glue or silicone it would have been done immediately....
Their attitude was a disgrace especially to customers who'd bought 3 new RVs off that retailer and 2 of them had been from the same manufacturer.
I think I'll go to the 4 wheel drive show this weekend and stir their salesman up in a loud voice.....see me hear me at the largest RV stand there. :-)))
AlanH.
AnswerID: 592328

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 10:29

Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 10:29
One of my take-outs from this summary is to put intended application and performance expectations in writing and submit it to the retailer, and to document any of their statements about these matters.
FollowupID: 860492

Follow Up By: Notso - Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 10:32

Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 10:32
Yes, I guess we all accept that every now and then there is a failure in quality or materials in a van. It is the Seller's/Manufacturer's response that really matters. I had a really good experience with both. After a bit over 3 years and well out of the normal 1 year warranty my van developed a leak. Rang the dealer, who rang the manufacturer. 30 minutes later I got a call from the manufacturer saying, It is a problem for me to fix, bring it in and I'll fix it. He removed the front of the van and replaced the frame and re-clad and relined the whole front of the van! No quibbling just great service.
FollowupID: 860493

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 10:38

Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 10:38
Yes.
I bought a new CT advertised @ 920 kg tare. I weighed it and found 1240. Maybe 40 of that could be written down to spec variation.
The dealer offered some compensation which I accepted. I would've been within my rights to return it for a refund.
FollowupID: 860494

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 17:58

Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 17:58
Sigmund .... this seems typical ....... more than 25% over the specified weight ...... that is just rediculous.

I bet they never even weighed a prototype or did calculations off the drawings ..... just pulled 920Kg out of the air because thet is under a tonne.

BTW what is on the VIN plate ... that raises a whole pile of oether issues.

cheers
FollowupID: 860509

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 18:21

Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 18:21
These are all CADs & the tare is calculated by the computer.

To their credit they took the next model off the line to a weighbridge and that showed 1060 kg. So some of the difference was shall we say an honest mistake.
FollowupID: 860510

Sponsored Links