Kimberly Kamper or Aussie Swag which would you choose ???

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 18:37
ThreadID: 130788 Views:4106 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Looking to purchase one or the other of the above. Budget to $20000 max.

As i see it ... Aussie swag...a bit lighter ..can carry fridge on drawer bar...slightly cheaper..

Kimberly Kamper...heavier...cant carry fridge on drawer bar...internal storage a bit larger ..

Both have basic battery system and approx 50 litres water tanks.

Both approx 2000 t02006 vintage .

Which would you choose ??? intended use is medium off road not hard core use,eg fraser island, birdsville ,reasonable off road touring,towing vehicle is 100 series turbo manual cruiser..

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigred13 - Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 19:40

Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 19:40
Hi Tim F3, do not look past the MDC ,I looked at a few,Aussie made and Chinese ,and I figured after looking at them ,I liked the build of the MDC ,and for the price new it was a no brainer for me ,why would I spend more on a camper to use a few times a year than I would on my tow vehicle ,you could buy a lot of fuel with the savings.
Cheers
John
AnswerID: 592344

Reply By: Australian Landscape Jewellery - Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 19:52

Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 19:52
I have no experience with KK at all and my comment is in no way a reflection on them. However, I have experience with Aussie Swag and highly recommend them. The company really will continue to give great support for years to come including on second hand models.
Mike
AnswerID: 592345

Reply By: Member - Judy and Laurie - Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 21:41

Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 21:41
Hi, we have owned an Aussie Swag for over 6 years now, we have been everywhere , the telegraph track, the gibb river road, are just a couple of places we have taken our camper. , we highly recommend the Aussie swag, excellent quality and well designed, if you want a camper to last you need a camper that's tough and can stand up to our roads. The guys from Aussie swag in Brisbane are very helpful . We also have a 100 series tow vehicle.
Cheers Judy and Laurie
(Check our blog for pics
oldresto327.blogspot.com
AnswerID: 592349

Follow Up By: bellony - Thursday, Nov 05, 2015 at 00:03

Thursday, Nov 05, 2015 at 00:03
We have a 2004 KK, paid $20K for it a couple of years ago. Very happy with it , after updating the electronics etc to modern standards. Only thing I dislike is the weight, and particularly on the drawbar. Ours has 200Kg with water full, 250kg when the tank is empty. We have the first gull wings, so massive storage up front. The upside of the total trailer weight is that you will never break a KK.
Never seem a KK with 50 lt water tank, thought they all had at least 120lt.
Your 100 series will need heavier rear springs if not done already. We use medium duty springs and Airbags to keep the rear at the correct height.

FollowupID: 860530

Reply By: gbc - Thursday, Nov 05, 2015 at 07:26

Thursday, Nov 05, 2015 at 07:26
aor and campomatic should also be in your target audience. With your modest budget I would suggest that a campomatic m3 has slightly less badge appeal than the 'big 3' and you might get more for your money. Your price bracket means you will be looking at well flogged versions of all of them, so purchasing would be on a case by case basis.
AnswerID: 592357

Reply By: Sigmund - Thursday, Nov 05, 2015 at 10:04

Thursday, Nov 05, 2015 at 10:04
To my way of thinking ball and gross trailer weight are critical. The lower the better for outback. You save fuel, you go further on low-traction surfaces and are less likely to have an 'oopsie', and you don't have to work as hard driving. You're also less likely to need to fit a suspension kit to keep rear sag within reasonable limits.

Your vehicle has ball and gross trailer weight limits and those are really set for bitumen roads. Reduce them by at least a third for outback roads and more for offroad.

So I'm not a fan of chassis designs that are standard across a range of models and accommodate more storage by adding draw-bar boxes. But if you're sold on one of those then budget for a suspension kit as well.

Good luck with your choice.
AnswerID: 592363

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Nov 05, 2015 at 10:10

Thursday, Nov 05, 2015 at 10:10
At risk of adding to comment above on the Campomatic.... :-)
Agreed, re consideration of Campomatic - we studied the Aussie Swag back in 04 (when Noel was still personally showing them around Oz)....it was a very well built camper then.....probably a lot better now ? ....but I opted against the articulated kitchen. Also had a good look at the KK range, in my view a little better built than the Campo overall. But we chose a Campo Ranger M3 because it was still a good product, had much the same facilities as the KK but had a much lighter ball weight (important for our Jackaroo of the time). The Campo was a very robust trailer and we did plenty of great outback trips over the 5 years we had it and got a good price when sold (it was one of the last few built by the company founders, at Yatala Qld - far as I know, now made elsewhere by Trakshak). Your 100 series might not need suspension assistance at the back to maintain level running for the AS and the Campo....but would almost be a dead cert for the front heavy KK.
That said, you couldn't go wrong with buying any of those three, if well looked after.....all very easy to use and enjoy in the outback.
AnswerID: 592364

Sponsored Links