Karijini in December

Submitted: Monday, Nov 09, 2015 at 23:59
ThreadID: 130844 Views:4334 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Has anyone been to Karijini in December/January?

Is there much water in the pools? Flowing water?
Thinking of leaving Perth Christmas day for 6 or 7,8 days.

I know it will be hot and the the rain days just starting.

No point going though if there will be no water.

This is one of two options for me depending on circumstances. Other option is the desert, and I know what that will be like.

Have been in the peak season a couple of times, and it was great.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 07:11

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 07:11
Hi Alan, no doubt you are experienced travelling at that time of year, well prepared, don't mind the heat you might face, and know what it is going to be like out there then, so won't say bad time, leave til cooler etc.
When you say desert alternative, you mean WA or other western SA desert besides the Simmo ?
Simmo is closed through that time due to heat and risks.
AnswerID: 592539

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 08:27

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 08:27
Hi Les,
Alternative would be Western Desert, haven't got time to go further than that.

I'd prefer option one to be honest but only if there will be water.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 860721

Reply By: Joe Fury - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 11:29

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 11:29
G'day Alan

I can't say anything bad about touring in the Pilbara ~ even if it is during the wet season, simply because it really is absolutely magnificent.

Weather wise (right now) day time temps are in the mid to high thirties, nights still get cool but rarely do the temperatures dip below 15C, so I guess for some it is already warm, but a seasoned 'explorer' such as yourself knows that it gets a whole lot warmer as the wet season builds.

I was in Karijini just a week ago, still lots of overseas back packers wandering the region, so all the usual cautions in respect to these folk.

There are still fires burning in the Hamersley's so there is a smoke haze across the region, we have had no appreciable rain as yet, but all the deep gorge pools are carrying plenty of water.

You don't make mention of your approach route into the region, but should you be heading in from the north or travelling further north from the Munjina (Auski) Roadhouse, you will be contending with super heavy roadtrain numbers, as they are hauling product by road from various mines in the Eastern Hamersley Range to the port facilities at Port Hedland and this goes on 24/7 ~ then add straying cattle,camel and horses into this mix.

Safe travels : Joe Fury
AnswerID: 592549

Follow Up By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:23

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:23
Glorious photo. Thanks for sharing.
Megan
FollowupID: 860725

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 21:33

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 21:33
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply and the warning of backpackers :-) your pics are great. Good to hear there is still water.
I'll probably come in from Newman (even if I don't take the Karijini option I'll be coming through there)

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 860742

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 22:53

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 22:53
G'day Alan

Feel free to look me up when you roll into Newman, I'm happy to help with relevant info on the local waterhole(s) and track situation, you are most welcome to leave your dog at my place should you wish to take in all the sights in Karijini over a couple of days, knowing your dog won't be arrested by the Rangers.

All my previous email and web site information has changed so it's worth zip, but if you ask at the Newman visitor centre, I'm sure they will point you in my direction.

The backpacker heads up is genuine, some of these buggers are 'freeloaders' and will bludge off anyone gullible enough to believe their story ~ lost or full SD camera cards and no bottled water are some of the lines commonly used, seems insignificant at first but a couple of free SD cards and maybe half a dozen bottles of free water once in a while ~ soon adds up, I'm not saying they are all sneaky, most are super nice people.

Safe travels : Joe Fury

FollowupID: 860751

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 13:05

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 13:05
Many years ago we visited Millstream/Chichester and Karijini in early November. I just checked the date in my blogs (Nov 8-12). There was plenty of water to swim and enjoy Crossing Pool (Millstream), Hammersley Gorge (upstream Spa Pool), Dales Gorge, & Kalimina Gorge and I've described these as very cold water. However my notes talk of oppressive 40 degree heat, no shade at camps, and descriptions of not wanting to bother to make the effort to do the long walks down to the gorges Weano, Joffry, Knox, Hancock, to get the best photos due to the heat and the walks being 1-2 hrs. In my notes I have described it as a whirlwind tour as we just wanted to get out of the heat and camping conditions were poor and the park (at the time) had a lack of water.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 592552

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 21:29

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 21:29
Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the info.
Sounds like it will just be the heat to contend with.
If I go I will probably go to the "Glamping" area.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 860741

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 15:16

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 15:16
You'll have to leave Massie home for the Karijini trip Alan. At least the tourist numbers will in theory be down.

have a good one.

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 592556

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 21:35

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 21:35
Hi Dunc.
I've had Massie babysat 3 times in her life, so should be OK to find her a home.
Tourists number down, well I will include myself in that category if I end up going.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 860743

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 00:15

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 00:15
Hi Alan

Like others have said there will be water in the deeper gorges but it will be bloody cold. The temp and humidity will hardly be a challenge for you. When I lived in Paraburdoo, it would always rain at about 2.00 pm every day last about 20 mins and then go away - right when we finished school.

Watch the camping area - don't end up in the generator camping area. It gets exceptionally noisy.

Some of my favourites at Karajini are Fortescue falls, Handrail Pool, Circular Pool andFern Pool.

I helped carry a guy who had been bitten by a snake (it was only a python but he thought he was dying) from halfway between Fortescue and Circular Pool. Hot and heavy - but we ended up being well rewarded. Turned out his old man ran the Cable Beach Club so we got a free weeks accommodation, drinks and food.

Anyway, if you are heading out through Paraburdoo, there is a great waterhole at the back (south side) of the Para and Channer minesites on what is called Turree Creek. It is called Nanulgardi Pool (I don't think that is the correct spelling) but is very peaceful except for tens of thousands of white cockatoos that roost over night. Absolutely spectacular to see them on the wing and a great spot to wet a line.

You will love it - very similar geology and geography to Kings Canyon in the NT.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 592577

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 10:21

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 10:21
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your info. A little bit of rain would be good. Hopefully I wont have to rescue anybody (or be rescued).

I have been near the area of the pool you mention in 2008 about 15 kilometres to the west. I seem to remember many tracks running all over the place - If I have time I will check it out.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 860763

Sponsored Links