Oziexplorer and Android Kitkat ??

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 16:03
ThreadID: 130848 Views:2343 Replies:9 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Not being an Android user (but a potential one) I am hoping someone using Ozi and Kitkat could enlighten me.

As I understand it one can't load Ozi onto a tablet using Kikat and then reference the maps from the SD card, so I'd like to know if it is possible to load Ozi directly onto the sd card along with the maps and have it work properly.
If so then can downloading all apps to the sd card be set as the future default default?

thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 16:36

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 16:36
Wicket,
read the OziExplorer help (install) files and all will become clear

website

Click on the link, click on Ozi Android page, scroll down the page and click on "installation help (must read)" and you will get the following...

Method 1 (recommended)
•Download the OziExplorer apk file and put it on the SD card of your device in the top level folder of the SD Card.
•Many later Android devices come with a File Manager (may be called Files), the file manager can be used to select the .apk file and install it. If there is no File Manager one can be downloaded from the Android Market.
•OziExplorer can now be run from your device.

Maps can be loaded into the maps folder of your SD card as well

regards

Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 592559

Reply By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 16:49

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 16:49
Fred
While I appreciate your reply I would like to hear from someone who has actually done it and has it working satisfactorily .
thanks

AnswerID: 592560

Follow Up By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 22:25

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 22:25
Yes, I am successfully running Ozi Android on my Samsung tablet and phone (bit too small on the phone though)
cheers
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 860748

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 07:12

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 07:12
Fred
As I mentioned I haven't used Android before and it looks to be quite a different beast to windows. Does samsung refer to the internal memory of the tablet as sdcard and the external sd card as extsd?
As I understand it V4.4 (kitkat) cannot reference maps on the external card if it is loaded on the internal memory, so I I assume both ozi and maps need to be loaded in the one location.

You mentioned above that to "put it on the SD card of your device in the top level folder of the SD Card" What does 'top level folder" mean are you referring to the external card or the internal memory ?
My current ozi maps folder is 20gig so no chance of running it on the piddly 16gig internal samsung memory
thanks
FollowupID: 860756

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 17:02

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 17:02
Wicket,

You are correct, Android very confusingly refers to memory as you describe.

I'm not using Kit Kat, but I do use Ozi on earlier versions and try to keep up with developments so when it's time I can upgrade my hardware with minimal hassles. Earlier versions allow Android to write to external SD.

I'm pretty sure Kit Kat can read from the external SD but cannot write to it.

So you can have all your maps on the external SD, but any folders that Ozi has to write to, such as its data folder, must be internal. No problem as far as Ozi is concerned, it just means more clutter in internal memory that would otherwise be on the external card with the maps it is associated with.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 860787

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 17:28

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 17:28
Ah, I note in your conversation with mauriceb that there may be a specific hardware limitation as well. I hadn't considered that.

Sorry.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 860788

Reply By: SteveL - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 21:04

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 21:04
I am use an Asus Memo Pad running 4.2.2. I tried a few methods of installing Apps on the SD card without success.I eventually settled for installing the app internally and putting the maps on the SD card using an app called LINK2SD.I had to partition the SD card to get this to work.
AnswerID: 592571

Follow Up By: maurice b - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 21:36

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 21:36
Hi Steve did you change your map file path when you moved maps to external sd, see my other post
FollowupID: 860744

Reply By: maurice b - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 21:32

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 21:32
I can help you on this . I been playing with ozi Ce and Andriod since it was first released . I would advise to run the program from the flash memory as it will run a lot smoother and the it will only use 9mb of your memory . Using your Android device go to the ozi android site and download it .The button is small so pinch out to click it . After downloading it drag down notification and click the apk to install it, Or go to your file explorer and direct to downloads and click on the coloured Ozi apk file . During install enter rego if you have it . 2 best to run maps from external SD
Create a folder on the root of you external SD and name it Ozi Maps ,ect and place your maps in it in the correct format OZF2 each map has 2 files to make them work ,ozf2 and dot map file . Maps can be place in folder eg HEMA MAP ,AUST 250K ect inside the Ozi Map folder and ozi will read them
However as Ozi is set to default to read maps form flash memory you need to change the map path so ozi can find them. Go main menu/ configuration/general setting and change Map file path to /mnt/external sdcard/Ozi Maps (could be different or dif branded devices) Ozi Maps been exactly same name as map folder name on sd card or it wont work , changing path is done my click the file path line , when its correct maps will auto index and that it. You can leave the DATA file path as is ,this is where track log ,route,w/points ect are stored .Hope this helps
AnswerID: 592572

Follow Up By: maurice b - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 21:49

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 21:49
Where is the edit button please, need to correct a spelling mistake
FollowupID: 860745

Follow Up By: Cruznoz - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 22:01

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 22:01
I'll second what Maurice b said. The app doesn't take up much room. Its the map files that use the space. Put the maps in a folder on an SD card and change map file path to that folder. All this works fine.
FollowupID: 860746

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 06:58

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 06:58
wicket, you have done your homework and on the right track.

In version 4.4 ( Kit Kat), Google introduced a new security feature which restricted access to SD folders.

It threw a lot of app writers into a spin until it was understood, and new versions had to come out to cope with the change, this included Ozi ( and Memory Map which i prefer).

Previously you could create a folder on the SD card and reference that in Ozi. Now you can still have maps, but you must put them in the folder ( on the SD card) that Ozi makes.

Basically the change was that only the app that creates the particular folder can write to it.

I tried it about 6 months ago. You can put the maps in the folder that Ozi creates using your PC. They will be deleted if you delete Ozi however. My new phone is Version 5 so haven't tried it lately, though it should be the same. Exactly the same issue came up with memory map but once you are aware of it it is ok.

AnswerID: 592578

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 07:19

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 07:19
Boobook
Ok thanks for that ,It seems that the previous posters above are not aware of this change in V4.4.

So can I ask you is it then possible to load ozi on the external card and how is it done (remember baby steps as I have never used android)

thanks
FollowupID: 860757

Reply By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 08:07

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 08:07
Right then, after looking around at some of the Android forums it seems definitive that apps cannot be loaded directly onto the external sd card on a device that is running kitkat v4.4 (fixed in V5 lollipop though)
So that nice little Tab S i was looking at is out of the question. Tab S2 is ok but the screen is actually smaller :(
AnswerID: 592580

Follow Up By: maurice b - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 10:56

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 10:56
Don't understand why you a concerned about installing the Ozi apk file in the flash memory ,doesnt matter which tab you have it can be configured in settings unless its a non extenal sd version Just download the apk using your device and it will install it to the correct place and dont put any maps in the Oziexloper/Maps folder it created if you want to save internal flash space. Use a good quality class 10 for your maps so it doesn't let you down in a remote area .Dont expect Ozi android to be the perfect as you need the paid Ozi windows pc version to get full use of it . I have also used the ipad with the Hema Maps app,a lot easy does the same thing and more, especially creating track,routes, using the screen
FollowupID: 860764

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 11:30

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 11:30
maurice
in android V4.4 ozi cannot reference maps on the extsd card if ozi is loaded on the internal memory. loading ozi on the internal memory is no good for me as I have a 20gig map folder and the tab S only has a 16gig memory.
As mentioned it is not possible to load the ozi app onto the extsd card in this version 4.4 of android.
Can you tell me which version of android you are using ?
thanks
FollowupID: 860767

Follow Up By: maurice b - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:00

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:00
I'm running android 4.4.4 on 8''GT N5110 Try selecting different paths in Map file data , This is my configure some devices show external sd as a different name.See link i sent to a mate a while back as he had same problem.https://www.dropbox.com/s/boticwkn89200js/Screenshot_2015-11-11-10-52-27.png?dl=0
FollowupID: 860769

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 13:27

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 13:27
maurice
I appreciate your efforts on this but when I rang Samsung support they told me that the TabS could not reference files on the external sd card if the app was loaded on the internal memory. They also informed me that I could not load an app to the external sd card , all this relates to the TabS running V4.4.
As I haven't bought the TabS yet it seems like I might be up against it. Clearly you have got it to work on you device (not sure who makes the GT N5110) and I do understand your settings and what you have done but I'd be a bit of a mug if I took a punt on the TabS only to find that the advice I received from Samsung was correct . Hope you see where I'm coming from.
cheers
FollowupID: 860776

Follow Up By: maurice b - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 14:22

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 14:22
Cheers . I wont comment on the support info that was given to you. The GT N5110 is a 8'' galaxy tab. 1280x800, 2gb of ram. If you decide to buy the basic 7'' galaxy look at the specs and see in you can purchase the 1280x800 resolution,nicer to look at than the basic 1024 x 600. Guess the ram wont concern you unless you want faster internet searches .It doesn't use much ram in ozi when a map is changed . There's lots of reliable good brand tabs out there now . Probably see you again here after you purchase to sort any small hiccups ,file paths if maps don't load. First thing will be to enable '' allow installation of non market apps in the security setting . Android 4.4.4 will direct you to this. When you have it in your hands all this will make more sense to you. Hint, if you run a crash camera purchasing a black coloured tab wont reflex back on the windscreen as i had to cover my white GT to stop this showing in the videos
FollowupID: 860779

Reply By: TonyG - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 14:02

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 14:02
Hi wicket,

I am running Ozi on a 8inch Samsung 16GB tablet on kitkat platform for last 10 months

My observations are:
-I needed to load the Ozi software onto the flashdrive (inbuilt in tablet)
-Software works well when loaded onto flashdrive
-I had lots of problems when running maps on SD card.......often the tablet would not read the card
-Loaded maps onto flashdrive
-All works fine with this setup

Hope this helps

AnswerID: 592590

Follow Up By: maurice b - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 14:30

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 14:30
Hi Tony , wicket already said he wants to install 20GB of maps , not possible in flash drive
FollowupID: 860780

Follow Up By: TonyG - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 14:45

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 14:45
Hi maurice b,

I agree with what you are saying.......if you want to install 20GB maps, then you need a bigger flashdrive.

I understood these issues when I was investigating, and I could never solve the problem when attempting to use a SD card.

I am running about 10GB maps, which uses up most of the flashdrive......but for me this is ok, as I am using the tablet as a dedicated 8inch tablet for OZI only
FollowupID: 860782

Reply By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 14:28

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 14:28
Boobok wrote this;

" Previously you could create a folder on the SD card and reference that in Ozi. Now you can still have maps, but you must put them in the folder ( on the SD card) that Ozi makes."

So if I load ozi onto the internal drive and then put (drag) those 2 folders Data and Maps that Ozi has created onto the external sd card then all will work ??
AnswerID: 592592

Follow Up By: maurice b - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 16:07

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 16:07
Quote''Boobok wrote this;

" Previously you could create a folder on the SD card and reference that in Ozi. Now you can still have maps, but you must put them in the folder ( on the SD card) that Ozi makes.

Now if you load ozi in flashdrive it doesnt make any folders on external SD external card, you must create eg ''Ozi Map'' and'' Ozi Data''.I would leave the Oziexplorer folder structure in the flash as it was. To start with leave data file path where it is untill you get the maps to load.Both Map and data file is automatically configured for placing maps and data in the map and data file, this is created inside the oziexplorer folder in flash as you know.As you dont want this and im sorry for repeating , put maps on sd as above and change Map file path. Having an incorrect Data path will freeze or cause problems as your track log build up a few kms up the road, so i recommend to leave as is.
FollowupID: 860785

Reply By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 09:00

Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 09:00
Thanks to all those who helped, I think I have managed to join the dots now, maurice, hope it wasn't too much like pulling teeth :)
AnswerID: 592614

Sponsored Links