Heavy duty clutch

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 17:01
ThreadID: 130850 Views:5726 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Has anyone had any experience with Clutch Industries products?
After 140,000km - lots of it offroad and towing - I'm getting to the stage where I need to upgrade the clutch in the 09 Hilux , and the local 4WD outlet has recommended that brand.
Any good or bad feedback or alternative recommendations, would be appreciated.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 17:09

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 17:09
Forgot to mention, the other brand recommended to me was Exedy heavy duty clutch upgrade
AnswerID: 592561

Reply By: Mudripper - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:35

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:35
I recently installed a Clutch Pro Xtreme Outback heady duty clutch to my HJ47 troopy. This brand was recommended by a local trusted engineering shop. It was a fair bit cheaper than the Safari Tuff equivalent. I carefully inspected it before installation and was satisfied by the quality of the parts and that fact that the kit included a genuine Japanese bearing.

One thing to bear in mind however is that a heavy duty clutch will be harder on your left leg and takes a bit of getting used to.

Cheers
AnswerID: 592587

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 15:42

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 15:42
Not certain about the Hilux, but on LCOOL a number of discussions about HD clutches on the 70 series and the general consensus of opinion is that the genuine jobs seem to get a better result. Some stated they had tried HD ones and were very disappointed.
AnswerID: 592595

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 15:50

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 15:50
Wildman

I replaced the clutch in my Troopy with a genuine Toyota unit.

The Safari tuff unit I had in it for 100,000 km was hardly worn at all.

But I must be getting old as it is not as user friendly as the Toyota clutch.

The genuine clutch is so much more progressive and easier on the left leg.

Cheers
AnswerID: 592596

Reply By: sastra - Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 10:52

Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 10:52
Wildmax,

I replaced original clutch on my 1992 Mav/Patrol (td42 diesel & aftermarket DTS turbo) with an Exedy sports unit which the maker recommends for towing.
It is lovely pink in colour and after plenty of Kms towing Jayco Sterling Outback poptop is giving very good service.
Operating foot pressure required is close to original. My son against my advice fitted an Exedy Safari Tough model to his 1989 Patrol (td42 diesel & afternarket DTS turbo) and it is much harder on the left leg. I recommend the Sport model for your use.
AnswerID: 592621

Reply By: swampy - Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 17:46

Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 17:46
hi
Clutch industries used to be called PBR. CI is relatively new name .
There was a relation ship with Repco at one stage . PBR clutches are/were regarded as standard replacement [this may have changed ][there may be a hduty option for yours]
Remember that a h/d clutch will most likely be a little heavier to operate
friction material /clutch diameter /pressure plate [more force ] all may be different .

There was a problem with the factory clutch many have reported this .

My own slipped after about an hour on the highway and you would go to overtake and the car would go sluggishly 3 clutches later under warranty better throttle response and improved economy
The factory clutch 2 times was smoother than the final after market unit

cheers swampy
AnswerID: 592639

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 23:09

Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 23:09
Thanks all for taking the trouble to provide some feedback on this; I'm conscious of the stress towing up to 2000kg puts on the vehicle so want to make the right decision.
Have had extremely good service from the Hilux over the past six years or so, and I'm inclined to invest in keeping it on the road with some sensible "rehab" rather than replacing the vehicle and all the after-market gear I have installed.
All the best.

AnswerID: 592658

Follow Up By: Phil 23 - Saturday, Nov 14, 2015 at 08:26

Saturday, Nov 14, 2015 at 08:26
Once you are rolling the clutch is engaged & that's that. If there was enough torque available to cause slippage under load once in motion there'd be justifivation for a heavier duty alternative.

Most of the wear is form a need to use some slippage to get things rolling. Usually not an issue on level ground.

Pulled boats on ramps & soft banks for many years & had acceptable life out of regular clutches despite the need to let them slip a bit during retrieval.

Only failure I've had was when travelling with a well ladened Kamperoo behing a 1600cc Lancer.

Our navigations skills got us lost & we ended up at traffic lights on what was close to a 1 in 4 grade. (Yes I just checked that on Google Earth).

We were 3rd vehicle back from the lights with traffic built-up behind & the only way forward was with 4000 revs & clutch slippage for some 30 to 40 metres as the traffic movement was slow.

The slippage for that extended period of time simply burnt it out. A heavy duty one would have made absolutely no difference.

Fortunately installing a replacement in a friends front yard was only 1/2 a days work.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 860879

Sponsored Links