Bourke eastward

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 18:00
ThreadID: 130854 Views:1818 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello

I'm planning a trip in January and am considering exploring some of the far north of NSW. I will be in a standard 2WD sedan which shouldn't have any problems with typical unsealed roads.

As I haven't been off the bitumen in this area, I would love some advice/experience on travelling the following roads:

1. North Bourke to Weilmoringle, then across the river to Goodooga
2. Brewarrina to Goodooga and Hebel / Angledool
3. Brewarrina - Billybingbone Bridge - Marra Bridge - Nyngan

Thanks
Warren
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 23:06

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 23:06
If you go back 50-60 years, Warren, EVERYONE drove "standard 2wd sedans" around that area you're inquiring about.

In early '70's, in an HT Holden ute, I was heading through Brewarrina & across to Bourke, on way back to NT. Had a turret crack on front suspension and had to wait overnight for the local welder to return to town. After repairing the damage (and charging me $5, gave him $10) he told me about a road that came out on highway, just near Engonnia.

Followed his directions, and it was the most interesting drive, from Bree to Collerina, then NW, just north of Lila Springs. The road was often 2 wheel tracks, sandy, then red soil and it twisted & turned around patches of scrub, water tanks and through fences.

If you've got a bit of clearance you should be right. A compressor will give you the advantage to adjust rear (or is it FWD?) tyre pressures, if it did get too sandy.

Have fun,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 592574

Sponsored Links