100 Series aux battery

Hi, just wondering if people have moved one of their start batteries to the aux battery tray so as to accommodate a larger house battery?? Seems like a good idea to me and looks like it should work. Thanks in advance for any input. JD.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Sunday, Nov 15, 2015 at 23:00

Sunday, Nov 15, 2015 at 23:00
The Aux battery is usually the drivers side one and as both of the factory ones are only about 450ccs each it is common to change both of them and split them with a Redarc isolator, usually fitted behind the left one where there is a space and a couple of captive nuts in the body.

I put two 650 cca in and installed a bus bar behind the aux and ran all my extra feeds off that.

I used 2 gauge between each battery and the isolator, a 4 gauge back to an Anderson plug for charging the van batteries and 6 gauge for running the fridge. Had other wires for HF and Waeco and other stuff in the cab.
AnswerID: 592767

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 09:06

Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 09:06
This is a common modification to both the 100td and the 200ttd Toyota's, however I usually use a 740cca as a starter battery (left front corner) and a 95 to 105 AH Deep Cycle as an auxiliary (preferably marine grade)(right front corner), and as both batteries are fitted to the original Toyota battery mounts there is little chance of mounting failure.

By using the Redarc VSR with suitable size cables then it is only a matter of fitting a switch to the loose 3mm wire on the relay and you have an inbuilt jump starting system should your starting battery fail.

Regards
Athol
FollowupID: 860949

Sponsored Links