Starting Air Conditioner with Generator.

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 17:10
ThreadID: 130913 Views:5248 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I thought I would post my experience on this.
I have a Delonghi QC 136 split system 3.4 kw cooling I picked up new from the auctions for a song about 5 years ago. I had a Honda industial which I used sometimes to run.
Decided something portable now as the van is not on site anymore.
I also have Solution X generator 1700 w which I bought new at the auctions for $130.00 damaged packaging.

The Air con like modern aircons has no start capacitor just a run capacitor and offset start windings.
Unable to start the aircon due to surge amps and drop of voltage I looked for a solution.
Caravan and generator shops all telling me its impossible and trying to sell me a 3 grand generator.

Looked on us rv sites and decided to buy the Supco Hard start kit the SPP 5.

Put in on which took 5 minutes and simple as.
Fired her up she started ok. Put genny on eco mode she started again.
Tested it again today and cycled it all as its 30 plus in Melbourne no problem.
Draws 1000 watts running on a hot day and about 920 w on a coolish day.

So there you go. An $11 part I bought from a company in QLD. I bought a second as a spare .
Genny has done 85 hours and saved us a packet in caravan park fees.
Aircon and genny cost me under$700.00

Anybody need any ideals let me know.
I have been caravanning for 20 years and did the big trip at 30 yo i na clapped out Magna and a cabana caravan. Remember those.

In oz it seems the industry in parrot style is trying to sell everybody oversized gennys.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 18:01

Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 18:01
That s good stuff and can work well BigFoot , more should do it rather than run oversized appliances.

It can also be used to ease load on inverters etc running various AC motors better but I don't recomend anyone play around with internal mods to appliances unless you know what your doing.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 592820

Reply By: Jerry D - Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 08:16

Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 08:16
Hi, could you please provide link to where you did buy it from?
thanks Jerry
AnswerID: 592836

Follow Up By: BIGFOOTDAD - Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 19:22

Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 19:22
Hi,
the company is Qualtex in qld
http://www.qualtex.com.au/products/search?search=hard+start
They have 2 types the spp5 at $11 and spp6 at $55.00

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 861028

Reply By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 10:40

Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 10:40
Hi all, I wonder if this device will work on my heron 2.2, it runs ok on grid power, but when I hook it up to my honda 2000i the genny cuts out on the second start because of overload. The suppco sounds like it may be the answer.Any thoughts. Regards Keith
AnswerID: 592842

Follow Up By: BIGFOOTDAD - Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 19:54

Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 19:54
Hi,
I am no expert but have a look on the us rv sites and you tube. I am confident it will work because I am sure I read reviews or you tube videos of guys having it done.
The heron is a proper rv generator and from memory I think in the US they sell a specific hard start kit for it or you can use one of these kits.
Ok basically there are 2 or 3 wire kits. The 2 wire kit seems good. Just check if your heron has a start capacitor or not.
The wiring is super easy. 2 wires. Just depends if your unit has a start cap or not as to were you plug it in.
If unsure a sparky would do pretty cheap.
From what I learnt is that all gennys must be able to run in overload for several seconds to meet AS.My genny is an inverter type sold at BCF like the Honda and they hate overloads.Compare the specs they should be similar.
The hard start kit starts the compressor within .25 of a sec or thereabouts.
Once the compressor starts turning amps drop dramatically it automatically turns the start windings off.
So it firstly gives it a quick boost to start the aircon, lowers drawn start amps and fools the genny if in instantaneous overload so it keeps going.
My genny just revs up for 1 second and then revs down and keeps going. Doesn't even max out at any time.

I got suspicious as I have a portable aircon I use in my sons cabin and it started with the genny without strain. I opened it up and it has a huge start cap and some other circuitry so nothing dims.ie voltage regulators
It figures since you will plug it into a powerpoint near other appliances.

I make no money out of all this info, I just wanna help fellow travelers from what I learnt cause the rv industry here are sharks.

Also wont have to park near vans with huge gennys lol.
For $11.00 plus postage it is worth a try.

Cheers
John

FollowupID: 861030

Follow Up By: BIGFOOTDAD - Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 20:02

Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 20:02
Sorry,
meant Heron is a proper rv air con.
Geez my aircon is a 3.4kw your heron is only 2.2kw
U gotta be able to start it lol.
john
FollowupID: 861031

Follow Up By: BIGFOOTDAD - Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 20:10

Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 20:10
Seriously sounds like when you restart the aircon is in Locked Rotor stage the highest power start up as there is still pressure in the system.
You can either try waiting longer before restart or try the supco.
My aircon cycles no problem and is bigger.

Cheers
john

FollowupID: 861032

Follow Up By: Member - Ian T6 - Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 20:31

Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 20:31
My heron 2.2 has alway run on my eu20i it does have trouble in 42+ temperatures restarting when i shut genny down for refueling but only then. Cycling normally is not a problem. There is no capacity for anything else though. It may have been modified before I bought van 2nd hand though.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 861034

Follow Up By: BIGFOOTDAD - Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 20:53

Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 20:53
Hmm. The hotter it is the less efficient your capacitor is they hate heat and you aircon may need more startup and your genny produces less power.
On the roof I guess the unit gets hot.
Maybe wait 10 min extra. Air cons have valves that equalise pressure slowly.
Best to have a look to see what is in your aircon. Caps do go bad.

Cmon any tradies out there?
Personally it seems the combination I mentioned is your problem. I would fit a Supco as a cheap fix if it annoys you.

Cheers
john
FollowupID: 861038

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 11:39

Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 11:39
Also, make sure that your battery charger, electric HWS, etc are all turned off if using the Honda. There are only so many watts available, and boot up takes most of those.
My Honda handles them all no problem.

cheers
Laurie
FollowupID: 861115

Sponsored Links