Recent travel of Googs Track

Submitted: Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 15:42
ThreadID: 130937 Views:2950 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, just wanting some first hand news regarding the state of Googs Track. Is there a lot of overgrowth from bushes and trees etc along the track? Planning a trip for next May, but some advice would be appreciated. Many thanks,
Couldn't ask for any better!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 17:02

Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 17:02
Can't speak for more recent times, but June last year was fine. No problem with vegetation encroaching on the track, and dunes were no trouble with a TVan behind the Hilux.
It's a really enjoyable trip and you can make the most of it by taking three nights - one night at Googs Lake, one at Mt Finke, and one in between - plenty of flat spots to pull off the track between the dunes.
Also worth considering going west after you cross the trans-continental railway line at the end of Googs, and continuing on to come in at the top end of Maralinga, which is a fascinating visit (need permits in advance for this, available online via Ceduna visitor centre).
Enjoy!
AnswerID: 592947

Reply By: colanjen - Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 17:29

Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 17:29
Hi Jan Z,

I have just posted the first part of a report that will show you first hand what to expect when travelling Googs Track on the 4x4 Earth forum.

I did the trip a couple of years ago but things don't change too much out there vegetation wise.

Regards from Col.
AnswerID: 592948

Reply By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 17:52

Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 17:52
There is a fairly comprehensive article on it in the latest edition of On The Road mag.
HTH.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 592949

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 19:50

Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 19:50
Was up there a few weeks ago and few overgrown bushes so no real issue.

It can be done in a day if need be however we also did the side track out to Childera and thats as long as the main track , it is a bit overgrown but not a lot.

The main thing I noticed from last time was that is was a lot rougher with lots of corrugations and bouncing around. 1 or 2 cars had to back down once or twice mainly through mis-judging the run up.

It was so rough in many places that you couldn't walk the cars up a couple of ridges and so needed to back down and use some momentum which throws the car around a bit.

I took 4 cars and no-one was towing, but sand was hot and soft , went S-N on this trip.

My wife was wearing a Fitbit Charge exercise band and the bumps in the track would count as a step.
By sitting in the car all day on the rough track the Fitbit registered some 20,000 steps and said she had walked up 57 flights of stairs, this put her in the lead of her companies fitness campaign.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 592952

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 23:19

Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 23:19
Some video's of the conditions to expect on Googs Track.

Cheers

Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 592957

Follow Up By: Member - mechpete - Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 15:08

Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 15:08
why would you be running 25-30 psi ,
no wonder the tracks are chopped up
cheers mechpete
FollowupID: 861178

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 15:39

Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 15:39
First trip running Cooper AT's in a heavily loaded vehicle (one month in to a 13 month adventure). Radial cracking from low tyre pressures was an issue that kept plaguing me with this lot of tyres. Even at 25psi the rears were bagged so much that they were in danger of pinching. Cracking appeared around the tyres about 20mm above the rim edge. Two tyres replaced at Kalgoolie at the end of the Anne Beadell and another two at Broome later on. Cooper reckon it was a compound issue. They recalled thousands of STT's at this time and I recall the tyre place at Kal being filled with STT's all slashed so they couldn't be re-used.

If I'd had Toyo's back then things may have been different. Given what I know now, I'd run 18-22 on the fronts and trailer but still need to be around 25 or higher on the rear (Load dependent). Now running them at 38-40 would be causing more issues with the track, generally because you'd be backing down to try again and again.

Cheers
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 861180

Follow Up By: Member - mechpete - Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 17:21

Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 17:21
I had 15in STs on my GQ about 10 yrs ago .they had radial crackin problems
an it wasn,t low pressure problem , they did it with in weeks of fitting them an only highway use
the dealer in Shepparton was happy enough to keep replacing them , but after 3 sets I opted for
STTs they were good but noisy . got another GQ in a coil cab this time , put 5 new 15in STs
on it an they going great ,not a sign of crackin after 20k ,
have done a simpson crossing with them all good
cheers mechpete
FollowupID: 861186

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Nov 21, 2015 at 18:19

Saturday, Nov 21, 2015 at 18:19
Last time I did Googs we were there for 2 weeks doing volunteer work. Watched a heap of vehicles having trouble even with fast runups. There were two issues, one was clearance (loaded vehicles with no lift) so they would drag their belly up the hills, and second was simply too much tyre pressure. Best way I've found to do Googs was very low tyre pressures - like around 15 psi - irons out the corrugations and means you rarely need momentum in the chopped up approaches.

As far as overgrowth goes, it's OK. Especially for a narrower vehicle like your Triton.
AnswerID: 592979

Reply By: Member - Jan Z (QLD) - Saturday, Dec 26, 2015 at 13:38

Saturday, Dec 26, 2015 at 13:38
Thanks everybody for your replies. Two other questions if I can: Can you take a dog on the route please?
Our travelling companions drive with a camper trailer, has anyone had any difficulties in getting through the sandhills with a camper trailer. Very experienced traveller and well set up rig.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 594165

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 08:58

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 08:58
Jan, No pets, you pass through the Yellabinna Regional Reserve and Wilderness Protection Area and Yumbarra Conservation Parks, They are fragile areas and a no no for all domestic pets.
Parks guide
Wrt the camper, if you are experienced with a camper on sand then you should have no problems. I asked the ranger about this and they said they take their trailer on the track constantly.
FollowupID: 862554

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 09:00

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 09:00
No edit.........grhh
try this link
Parks guide
AnswerID: 594215

Reply By: Member - Jan Z (QLD) - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 13:56

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 13:56
Thanks indeed. Will ring the designated number on the Parks Guide and double check. Very helpful and appreciated.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 594233

Sponsored Links