Toyota Satellite Navigation System

Submitted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 13:29
ThreadID: 13094 Views:6253 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Toyota Satellite Navigation System?
I'm thinking of adding one to my new 100 Series Cruiser which is about 3 weeks away.
Any info appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wizzy - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 16:51

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 16:51
Hi Gregster,

A caravanning colleague gave me a demonstration of his Cruiser Sat Nav system a couple of weeks ago ... very impressive! I've already decided to have one fitted to a new Cruiser which I'll be buying soon. They come as standard in the Sahara (but Saharas are bloody expensive) and I've been quoted $4200 and $4500 to have one fitted in the GXL.

Meanwhile, I'll be very interested in any replies to your query.

Good luck
Dennis
www.damor.net
AnswerID: 59798

Reply By: Member - Bob - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 17:10

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 17:10
I'd have a serious look at some other solutions before buying the expensive Toyota option. A GPS and a laptop is vastly cheaper, more versatile, and you get to run your choice of maps which could include the Auslig 1:250,000 series. If you only need a street directory then there are some cheaper units (Garmin/Magellan etc) than the OEM Toyo unit.
AnswerID: 59800

Reply By: Member Eric - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 17:45

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 17:45
a good option is a PDA with the navman sleeve , all up cost around $1500. Does the same job
AnswerID: 59802

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:22

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:22
Hi Gregster ,How much is the Toyota unit ? I run a laptop through a 7" screen mounted on my overhead using Oziexplorer so I get the benifit of all the maps on CD available plus all the other benifits of Ozi ,I use a wireless mouse for the screen,as I am using the screen I only needed a fairly cheap GPS to collect the data everything else is done by Oziexplore, you really have to do your homework before you buy do a search in the arcives re :moving maps , lilliput screens and in car navigation you may save some $ and end up with a far better set up.
AnswerID: 59809

Reply By: Snatchem - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:44

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:44
Gregster,
I was going to ask the same question a couple of days ago but haven't had the time to sit down at the computer. I'm looking forward to reading any replies you get I was also interested to know does the disc just have metro roads on them or do they include some outback tracks as well.

Snatchem
AnswerID: 59812

Reply By: landcrusa - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 20:27

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 20:27
Gregster,

I've been using the Toyota Satnav for 13 mths now. If you're into GPS my advice would be save some money and buy a portable Garmin Streetpilot 2610 or similar. These can be used in any vehicle. Toyota system appeared good at first and there were no real alternatives back then, but there are now. The Toyota system is basic and flawed in my opinion. It is difficult to choose the correct address unless you know exactly which surburb. Whilst it will always get you to a destination, it usually takes the long way round and seems to prefer the most major roads it can find. It is not capable of giving you the shortest route. The more I use it , the more frustrating it becomes and GPS information is nil compared to the portables. Nor can you play with the Toyota's mapping on your PC as you can with the portables to upload / download routes. Finally, if you fit Toyota Satnav to a 100 GXL you will lose the benefit of the 6 stacker CD.
AnswerID: 59826

Reply By: fozzy - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 07:50

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 07:50
depends what you want out of gps-mate has a 2002 model sahara and you cant get gps coordinates from it so it is useless in the bush or away from major rds.
works quite well around suburbs for the few times a year you would otherwise look up street directory. good for interstate travel
maybe new ones can give you a gps reading-check first before ordering
AnswerID: 59855

Reply By: lx470 - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 11:43

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 11:43
You can get GPS co-ords from the system. The newser systems fitted also give you the ability to enter Destinations by GPS co-ords.

The Base data maps are those supplied by Sensis (part of Telstra) and do not show any Trails or tracks. Shows all streets etc of all Cities in OZ and main roads of other Towns. You cannot change the map data for anybody elses. The system is great for giving you turn by turn directions to your destination.

Destinations can be entered many ways, exact address, street names, general areas, POI (points of Interests), Public buildings, etc. The systems also contains contact details phone numbers of Resturants, Banks, Libraries, Garages, Petrol stations, supermarkets, which can be shown on the map or recalled up directly.

You can for example, be in your car and ask to see Chinese Resturants with a 5 km distance from you. Get the phone number and book a table. Car Parks are listed and shown.

IF you want to use it for navigation in the Bush though, forget it.
AnswerID: 59884

Sponsored Links