Stop and Explore Orroroo

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 21, 2015 at 09:17
ThreadID: 130942 Views:2688 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Good Morning Everyone

The other week on our local Regional TV, there was a small news segment regarding the opening of a new Goyders Line Memorial near Orroroo, in the mid north of South Australia to commemorate 150 years since the then States Surveyor General set off on horse back and rode more than 3200 kilometres to map reliable farming and grazing land for then then new state of South Australia, that was only 30 years old.

The new memorial is only 5 kilometres out of Orroroo on the Pekina road and well worth the small detour to visit, with a couple of other interesting places to see out there.

I have added the new Points of Interest into the Places section, so next time you are passing through Orroroo, stop and explore this quaint little town.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 16 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Saturday, Nov 21, 2015 at 20:03

Saturday, Nov 21, 2015 at 20:03
Hi Stephen,
If you are ever in Orroroo on a windy day keep a eye on those horses pulling the plough, their heads move up and down in a motion that resembles a horse walking. I could not believe my eyes when I saw it.
Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 592981

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Nov 21, 2015 at 20:47

Saturday, Nov 21, 2015 at 20:47
Hi Graham

We have been through there dozens of times over the years and have never noticed that, it would look great.

You would have seen the report on the channel 4 / GTS BKN News

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861162

Follow Up By: Member - pandora - Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 12:00

Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 12:00
thanks for the info Stephen and for posting those wonderful and interesting pics. visited the Gammon Ranges in June this year, intended to camp but weather was absolutely bitter, ( hence my decision to upgrade to a camper, Ulti?) planned to stay longer and then head south down the highway but having to pay extra costs for motels etc, we changed tack with a resolve to return. In my opinion the Gammon Ranges and surrounds are of the most stunning areas in Australia. Your post has given an extra reason to return and put Orroroo on the list. Have a neighbour who comes from Orroroo, she will be delighted to know that the little town where she grew up has been given such a big tick on EO.
cheers pandora
FollowupID: 861174

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 20:00

Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 20:00
Hi Pandora

Orroroo is a great town to stop and have a look around. There is far more to see than what I have just listed and the best place to find out what to see is the local Visitor Information Centre.

They can be contacted from my link below.

Things to See in Orroroo

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861200

Reply By: Member - Keith A1 - Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 16:07

Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 16:07
And when we passed through in September, you could get a presentable coffee for $3. The word was out as caravans stretched half the length of the town.
Keith
AnswerID: 593002

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 20:01

Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 20:01
Hi Keith

Orroroo is always a great little town to stop at and the locals are always very friendly.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861201

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 17:13

Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 17:13
And Goyder was remarkably accurate with the position of his line.
Some years later, wheat farming was tried further north and was successful during a run of good years, until 'normal' conditions returned and they all failed.
From the air, it is still possible to see the plough marks in areas just south of Wilpena Pound.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 593007

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 20:11

Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at 20:11
Hi Peter

Yes Goyder did a fantastic job of accurately surveying what is now know and relied on as the Goyer's Line of Rainfall.

One very famous town that was given the Greek name for flour, Farina was going to be the wheat growing capital for South Australia, until condition reverted back to normal after a few years of very good rainfall.

It would be good to see the area from the air.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861202

Sponsored Links