Camp oven

Submitted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 17:52
ThreadID: 13095 Views:5360 Replies:16 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Whats the best place to get a good camp over ? .

What makes a good oven ?

are they all the same quality ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 17:56

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 17:56
Rays Camping
Aussie Disposals.

Go with a cast one, they work well if treated well, but then that works with most things.

Ask Mrs John R about DAMPER... She made THE awesome shiat up Bindree...
AnswerID: 59805

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 22:26

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 22:26
Gees Truckster, Heather was feeling very complimented by your comment. Seemed to go down very well with the jam or honey that night. Not half bad with a beer either....

Would have gone down ok with the bourbon too Baz
FollowupID: 321437

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:01

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:01
Hi Eric, we just bought a camp oven from Hillbilly camping gear, it's very good, steel not cast so much lighter, www.campingwithhillbilly.com, they are at 23 Mt Morton rd Sth Belgrave, vic 3160.

Baz.
AnswerID: 59806

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:46

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:46
I fogot to mention it's looked after the same way you look after a wok and it also has a gas option as well as putting coals on top an or heat beads, just in case there is a fire ban it can still be used.

Baz.
ps, the rig pics are for Truckster, 78 is me, chased that bugger the whole race came 2nd.
FollowupID: 321409

Follow Up By: flappan - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 10:10

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 10:10
I've got one of these as well. I much prefer it over my cast one.

You can also use the lid and handle as a fry pan.
FollowupID: 321483

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 21:14

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 21:14
I've tried the rest & the Hillbilly is best. Buy it with the cake rack to allow the hot air to circulate around the food for even cooking & easy cleaning. The lid can be used as a frypan & as they're light can also be hung off a fire pole. They will never crack like the cast iron type & you can pack them easily. I have 3 cast iron ovens in the shed that will never be used again as the spun steel oven has more uses and for 1/5 of the weight. I can recomend the canvas camp oven cover from Hillbilly too to keep the catering box clean. Cheers, Craig.............................
FollowupID: 321581

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:05

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:05
Bought my Bedorie direct from Southern Metal Spinners here in Lonsdale. They are available pretty much anywhere. Thing is, I use my Cobb now........ Bedorie doesn't see the light of day...... or coals.
AnswerID: 59807

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:15

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:15
Geeez Eric, you are going downmarket with a camp oven........what happened to the microwave?

Camp oven:

It has to be cast iron

The ones with a lip on the lid are good for making damper etc as you can put coals from the fire on the top. When you lift the lid off to check the bread etc the ash does not fall in to the oven

The ones with no lip on the lid are good for other meals and a smaller one than the one you are buying can fit inside it for space saving.

Always wash your camp oven in warm soapy water and stand near fire to dry out properly. Then spray(wipe) oven inside with cooking oil to stop rust and you can also put a papertowel in the base before you place another oven inside it for storage.

Been doing this for 30 years and ovens still look like new.

Camp ovens are available at camping outlets or Army Disposal shops.

Cheers
AnswerID: 59808

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:59

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:59
Willem, great news about uncle and rosie, i'm a bit crook still myself and a bad back( old racing injury), hope there is not a virus on the forum thats contagious.

Baz.
FollowupID: 321415

Reply By: Member - Ray - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:53

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:53
The Best ones available are Furphy. They have a web site but are fairly expensive,I have one 12in.

Cast Iron has a good even spread of heat and hold the heat well. Spun steel heats up very fast and is a bit harder to control. I believe those that have the Bedourie say they are more versatile but I can do anything in my Furphy.

Imported cast iron is prone to uneven heat distribution and any cast iron will break if dropped in the right conditions.
AnswerID: 59814

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 19:25

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 19:25
Furphy has the reputation as being one of the best available.

I am going to get one shortly. I do have the Hillbilly spun steel one and it works great, plus it has the optional gas ring thing which has come in handy at times. I also have a cast iron one (non-Furphy) and it isn't too bad, but as was mentioned earlier, seems to have a "hot spot" in it. Hence my desire for a Furphy.

Furphy Website Link

Good cookin'

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 59818

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 22:46

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 22:46
Eric.

Borrow mine and try it if you like.
AnswerID: 59837

Reply By: Jimbo - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 23:03

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 23:03
I've had two of the cheap imported cast iron jobs with the lip around the lid. Work a treat. No roast tastes like one done in a camp oven.

Jim
AnswerID: 59841

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 06:36

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 06:36
Eric bought both of mine at big W or similar no probs to date now about 8 years old each and plenty of meals out of them.

All the best
Eric
CyC
AnswerID: 59850

Reply By: roscoe - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 09:21

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 09:21
Hi all,

I believe there are some that have feet in the casting so that it will not extinguish the coals when sat on them. Is this correct and if so are they better
AnswerID: 59860

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 09:55

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 09:55
I started with the cheaper version available from all good camping stores but have since moved to the Furphy.
It's about twice the price but is much more sturdy, gives a more even heat and has a better lid for brushing coals off etc.
As an added bonus you can order them with your name cast onto the lid.
Cooked a roast lamb in mine 2 nights ago much to the delight of all present and received nothing but compliments on the standard of the meal.

Well worth the money I believe and I can vouch for their jaffle iron too.
AnswerID: 59867

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 20:50

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 20:50
Having your name cast into the lid is sure going to make better roast spuds. LOL

Jim.
FollowupID: 321855

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 07:44

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 07:44
at least I'll be sure they're MY spuds !!!

There was starting to be more ovens than campers so I reckon this is an easy way of identifying which one is mine.
FollowupID: 321951

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 10:59

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 10:59
Hi Eric,

As some others have already stated there are a few features that I consider essential to a good camp oven:
- Make sure you get one with a lip on the lid. This stops the coals from falling off during cooking and if you need to lift the lid at any time.
- Cast iron IMHO is the best.
- Furphy are the undisputed leaders in camp ovens but they are also very expensive. Some of the real cheap imported camp ovens aren't made from very good quality cast iron and this leads to uneven heat distribtuion and they've been known to crack for no apparent reason. As a start, buy a camp oven somewhere in the middle and you won't go wrong.
- Some CO have 3 or 4 little feet which are supposed to keep them up off the coals, allowing the coals to breath and retain more heat etc. I've seen a few of these type in use and I seriously doubt the validity of this claim. For starters, try sitting the feet of a heavy CO on an uneven bed of coals. 99 times out of 100 the feet will sink in and it will "settle" onto the coals anyway. Also, camp ovens can be used very effectively as a pot or pan directly on your gas stove or even placed onto a BBQ hot plate. You would lose much of this versatility if you got one with legs.

Start off with a medium sized camp oven as this is the most versatile size. Perfect for a family roast or to bake damper, bread or scones. Later, you might find a smaller camp oven that fits inside this one for easy storage also useful.

Once you've got your camp oven, you'll need a few accessories:
- A banister brush with natural fibres which can be used to brush the coals from the lid.
- A long steel hook to lift the camp oven from the coals and/or to remove the lid with burning your fingers
- A trivet to place inside the oven. This is useful when baking as it keeps the baking tin off the base of the CO and aids in hot air circulation. Also stops blackened base on your damper/bread etc.
- A baking tin which fits inside the CO and can be used for making bread, damper etc. I use one of those round spring-base tins (your wife will know!) which is perfect for making bread, damper and other things such as quiches, scalloped potatoes (yum!) etc. Also because you can remove the base it can be used on its own for scones and pizza etc. Very versatile!

Search the archives on this forum. There are some good threads on curing and caring for your camp oven.

Hope this helps.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 59876

Reply By: GaryW - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 13:26

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 13:26
IMHO - they way you set the coals is far more important than which camp oven. We got ours (cast) from Rays - cooks up a storm (It does have feet but I don't think they play much of a part.) The trick is to make fire in one place and shift coals to another - place oven on top of coal bed - some more around the sides and good shovel full on top. Hmmm - can almost smell the roast now.

Gaz
AnswerID: 59893

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 20:48

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 20:48
Very excellent (stupid saying but I like it) advice.

The quality of the meal you get has a lot more to do with the quality of the cook than the quality of the oven.

The temperature, for instance, is best guided by ear. You need to be able to listen for the right amount of sizzle to get a good roast; this can't be taught it has to be learnt. The amount of coals to put on top is another variable; too many and you will grill the top of your roast, too few and you will boil it.

Seasoning, using butter rather than oil, gravy preparation etc will all influence the quality of your meal far more thasn the type of oven.

Don't be conned by salesmen. Poor cooks will serve slop from the best quality cookware and vice versa.

Jim.
FollowupID: 321854

Reply By: Member Eric - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 19:36

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 19:36
Thank you all for your valuble info , its been a great help
AnswerID: 59951

Reply By: Member - Frank - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 19:57

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 19:57
Eric I dont know why but if you can get an old one they are very good I have my grandfathers oven circa 1900 small version still going good but I dont like to put them in a fire put some coles out and heat the ground then refresh them but make sure you have air flow under the oven put in your beef ribs or roast then add coles to the top refresh if nessasary will not burn on bottom then, your making me drool have to take it with me when go to bridsville in september

try advertising in sotckjournal or like if serious cant beat that old english casting

frank
AnswerID: 59953

Reply By: Member - jtb - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 02:36

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 02:36
hi eric i opted 4 the cobb & very happy cheers
AnswerID: 60011

Sponsored Links