Bloomfield track

Submitted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:16
ThreadID: 13096 Views:2389 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Cant find info reference towing an off road caravan along the bloomfield track.
We tow a Supreme 'Getaway' 4.4m. Leaving Alice early July for the top.
Any advise out there ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PatC - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:33

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 18:33
What are you towing it with? There's a few steep pinches between the Bloomfield River and Cape Trib to watch out for but the rest is pretty easy.

See Ya
PatC
AnswerID: 59810

Reply By: motherhen - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 19:18

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 19:18
Someone asked a similar question last month on the Bushtracker Owners Group site - replies mostly were against the idea; steep bits a strain on vehicle (don't know what you're towing with), to slippery when wet could be dangerous. Their basic advice was go another way, and do it as a day trip without the van. We went on it in a troopy 5 years ago - easy run that way, although steep parts had 2 concrete strips for the wheels - but hard to get off when we met a lot of comptetitors in a long distance bicycle race coming up the hill at us. They pointed most angrily for US to get of the concrete strips so they could keep peddling up the hill! Glad we didn't have a van on. We stayed at a lovely cabin in Cooktown, then back via the inland route. All very different and scenic. Enjoy your trip whichever way you fine tune it.
AnswerID: 59815

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 22:59

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 22:59
Bloody good advice. Under ideal conditions, probably OK, but things change quickly after a downpour in the tropics. Leave Cooktown early in the morning drive down to the Bloomfield, then haed back for a beer at the Lion's Den and a Burger at Wilma's Country Kitchen (assume it's still there, it's been a few years).

Jim.
FollowupID: 321451

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 19:23

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 19:23
There are a few very steep sections on the Bloomfield Track and one creek crossing. The top of the steep sections have been concreted to provide traction. As long as your truck has enough grunt anything is possible. Some sections are quite narrow and meeting traffic coming the other way could be a problem.

Cheers
AnswerID: 59816

Reply By: SUNSEEKER - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 20:35

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 20:35
Chris, it's me again and that was part of my trip last year in Sept. and again Ican tell you that you will not have any problems as the road is completely different to a few years ago. Yes there are steep sections but Idid the entire trip in 2 wheel drive as the rod should be very dry at that time and there is a big concrete causeway over the Bloomfield which is like ahighway---again go and enjoy
AnswerID: 59827

Follow Up By: Member - Chris - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:44

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:44
Thanks to sunseeker et al. advise and info taken on board. I will make final decision in Port Douglas. cheers
FollowupID: 321720

Reply By: stevesub - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 06:44

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 06:44
Did the track in the dry 2 years ago and coulds have done it in a car. Was in 2wd hi ratio all the way no problems with stuffed road tyres on the rental cruiser that we had.

However, if it rains, maybe a bush camp alongside the track would be in order until it drys out again - or go the long way to Cooktown.

Also did the CREB track that trip - good fun but only in the dry and defintely not towing.

Stevesub
AnswerID: 59852

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 22:03

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 22:03
Steve and Sunseeker why bother having a 4wd if you don't make use of its capabilities. Any 4wd will handle, steer and brake much better and be more efficient when in 4wd on any loose surface. We drive the Bloomfield track virtually every day and put the vehicle in 4wd or lock the centre diff as soon as we leave the bitumen. Safety should always be your priority. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 321595

Follow Up By: stevesub - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 22:29

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 22:29
The time we did the Bloomfield track it was very dry, not at all slippery in the slightest and as I have said, I would have had no problem getting a road car over it at that time. However if there was the slightest problem negotiating the track in 2wd, I would have been in 4wd, no problem and no second thoughts at all.

I know the charactoristics of the track change from day to day and also Rob is taking people on tours through the track who may not have much 4wd experience and getting them into 4wd sooner rather than later is a good idea.

We do use our 4wd (Troopy) to the max at times and do put it into 4wd as and when neccessary but if a track is smooth, dry and there are no traction problems, I usually leave it in 2wd.

We belong to several 4wd clubs and do trips that they run including hard trips (don't want to bend the Troopy so we steer clear of the extreme trips - and it is not setup for these trips anyway)

I may have had only a few years 4wd experience but have done a lot of tracks in that time. I also have spent 27 years driving a rally car in all conditions from bituimum to deep mud so know how to read a road pretty well.

Steve
FollowupID: 321599

Reply By: lizard - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 10:45

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 10:45
We towed an off road camper trailer from Cooktown to Daintree via Bloomfield track last year - had no problems , but the climbs and descent will require you to be in low range 4WD (especially the descents). If it looks like being wet then don't take the van .
AnswerID: 59873

Reply By: SUNSEEKER - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 23:32

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 23:32
Rob I'm with Steve,if after 30 years driving 4w.d.'s and I need to use 4w.d. and diff. lock on a dry safe road then I haven't learned anything in that time.All you are doing is using excess fuel where it is not necessary as if you travel that road as much as you say you should surely be teaching people to drive to conditions rather than to say we use 4w.d. no matter what.
AnswerID: 60005

Sponsored Links