Mapping

Submitted: Monday, Nov 23, 2015 at 15:38
ThreadID: 130962 Views:3724 Replies:6 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
getting ready for the "big trip" and now starting to look at the mapping issues

We have a Discovery4 that has an excellent GPS fitted and will also navigate via way points

What we would like to know is this

a. can we interface the inbuilt GPS to a tablet (Android or Apple) via USB or bluetooth

b. can we use a propriatery mapping system on the tablet that can record our trip and take notes etc whilst interfacing with the vehicle GPS

c. will it show camping spots etc as say "Wiki Camps"?

Thanks in advance for your replies
Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, Nov 23, 2015 at 16:03

Monday, Nov 23, 2015 at 16:03
Hello

It would be unlikely that you could easily "interface" with the existing inbuilt car GPS.

Android Tablet and Ipads can be purchased with inbuilt GPS in so you would probable be doubling up anyway. Just get one with a GPS is my call.

There are several options for mapping on a Tablet/Ipad and yes you will be able to show "camping spots" as waypoints/point/poi's, subject to you obtaining the data in the correct format for the mapping program you ultimately choose. I will let others provide options....I am in a hurry :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 593032

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Monday, Nov 23, 2015 at 17:16

Monday, Nov 23, 2015 at 17:16
I have an Ipad 3 with GPS inbuilt and 128 gig of memory. I use Mudmaps 2 for planning purposes and sometimes to track our route. I also have Hema Explorer but I actually find MM better and easier to use.

I also have Wikicamps which is a real useful tool.

As I don't have a built in GPS in my Prado I use a Navman Myescape III which has very good tracking and include a series of Hema 4x4 maps.

AnswerID: 593036

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 07:11

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 07:11
I certainly wouldn't recommend Mud Maps. Mud maps 2 has ben discontinued. MM are up to their old tricks and dumped MM2 users ( like they did with M1 users) and support and maps stop soon ( eg "The map will stop working soon. )

An upgrade to MM3 is $125 plus the cost of buying the maps again, however Westprint maps can be converted across for free.

Avoid Mud Map like the plague is my advice. They have now done this 3 times ( MM1, MM2 and their mapping device)
FollowupID: 861242

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Nov 23, 2015 at 19:50

Monday, Nov 23, 2015 at 19:50
Just about every decent Android tablet has gps built in and that is a lot easier than trying to interface with your onboard one. Gps only comes on the 3g-4g enabled ipads (or used to anyway). The android tablets have a bigger selection of mapping programs than the Apple ones too, Ozi explorer for one. I use Memory Map on mine with the Hema maps and the 25k topos. I tried the original mud map but it was terrible, maybe the new versions are better.
The mapping system you choose is a bit like your choice of car brand, everyone has a preference that suits them.
AnswerID: 593043

Follow Up By: SteveL - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 18:36

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 18:36
I have an ASUS memopad 7" android tablet (wifi only) with built-in GPS which was only $99.I run Oziexplorer with various maps including Hema,Rooftop and Greg Harewood Maps.
It has survived trips to the C.S.R.,Gibb River Road and a trip to the Vic High Country (from Perth).
FollowupID: 861264

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Monday, Nov 23, 2015 at 20:50

Monday, Nov 23, 2015 at 20:50
Hi Bob,
Everybody has their favourite mapping program and device to run it. I had an iPad with 3G and GPS and had to decide on a mapping program for our trip to WA. The choice was between OziExplorer and Memory Map. As Ozi does not run on the iPad my only choice was MM. Fortunately MM runs on both Windows and Android as well. I have all the Hema maps as well as the 1:25000 topo maps of NSW and Victoria. You can plan your trips on Windows and then transfer data to the iPad via iTunes. The program tracks brilliantly on the iPad. The MM program is of nominal cost via iTunes, you just have to buy the maps. Various licences are available, e.g., two mobiles plus two PC's, etc. Email support has been excellent when I have run into problems managing licences etc. When you download the program it comes with a free topo map of Australia. Using some of the maps, e.g., topo maps, requires 3G coverage. To use them offline they must be "bulk download" first. The Hema maps come complete and do not require this approach.
Robert
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 593053

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 07:16

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 07:16
^^^^^^^
What he said. Plus the Hema 4wd maps on the Ipad are a rebadged memory map and you can buy any memory Map for it.

The free topo250K map that you can get on Memory Map has 99.9% of all tracks in Australia and is one of the best maps you can get.

You can't go wrong with Memory Map or Oziexplorer IMHO.

Also if you are getting a tablet for GPS and travelling you can get an Android for $200 - 300. If you get am Ipad you will be up for $500 plus. To get GPS on an IPAD, you must buy the more expensive Cellular ones which are the only ones that come with a GPS. Some wifi only IPAD users buy an external GPS called a Bad Elf but this works out more expensive, is clunky to use and often doesn't work when Apple block it with new software releases.
FollowupID: 861243

Follow Up By: Member - Robert1660 - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 07:50

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 07:50
Agree with Boobook with respect to the Topo250k Aus map. The only caution is that it does require 3G or wifi coverage. To avoid this you can bulk download the sections you will need prior to your travel. As I stated the Hema maps are downloaded in full when you buy them and don't require bulk downloads.
Although the Hema maps are very good because of their scale some finer detail is lost. For travel in areas such as the Vic High Country you can't beat the Vic 1:25000 Topo series. The NSW Topo are equally as good for areas such as the Brindabella Mountains near Canberra.
Robert

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 861245

Follow Up By: Johnhu - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 13:20

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 13:20
Hi Robert,

Actually the Topo250K Aus map doesn't require 3G or Wifi coveragel. You just need to ensure that you have downloaded the entire map and installed it on your device before you leave home (same as I'm guessing you did for the Hema maps).

The two files you need can be downloaded directly from the australian memory map website;
http://memory-map.com.au/mapchunks/AUS/Topo250-2.qct
http://memory-map.com.au/mapchunks/AUS/Topo250-2.qc3

Thes files can then be copied onto your android device and accessed as you would have done for the Hema maps you downloaded.

I hope this helps yourself and others.

John
FollowupID: 861257

Follow Up By: Member - Robert1660 - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 16:57

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 16:57
Hi John,
Thanks for your advice regarding the Aus Topo. I am sure you have found it a very useful map as I have done.
Regards
Robert

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 861262

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 19:29

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 19:29
Robert, as John points out you don't need the Wifi or 3g connection for any Memory map, you can download them in bulk at home or on an as needed basis on the road. I prefer bulk and have them all downloaded so I never need an internet connection.
FollowupID: 861269

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Nov 25, 2015 at 03:18

Wednesday, Nov 25, 2015 at 03:18
"The free topo250K map that you can get on Memory Map has 99.9% of all tracks in Australia and is one of the best maps you can get"

mmm - with all due respect the "free topo250K map" doesn't show "99.9% of all tracks in Australia" - wouldn't come close (my guess ..less than 10% based on distance). No such map exists. The 250K map doesn't even show any streets in cities (just highways/major arteries) let alone "all the tracks" in the bush.

Handy in "outback" areas where tracks better represented, so not saying its no good but 99.9% is a gross exaggeration of the facts. For more detail in some areas (e.g. southern forested areas where numerous tracks not shown on 250K scale map) you may find 50K, 25K maps or air/sat pictures show far more detail.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861291

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Nov 25, 2015 at 06:04

Wednesday, Nov 25, 2015 at 06:04
Greg, yep it does have scant detail in the cities, it isn't for that though.

In the country however, it does have the most complete set of tracks that I have seen. It is very rare that a track ( as opposed to a suburban road) does not appear.

For example, there is not a track missing in the high country that I have found, every tack across innaminca and the santos fields, every small track on and neat the ABH, CSH, Googs track, all the mine fields around tarcoola etc tc.

Sure 99.9% is an exaggeration. I'll back it off to 98 - 99%
FollowupID: 861292

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Nov 28, 2015 at 00:10

Saturday, Nov 28, 2015 at 00:10
"Sure 99.9% is an exaggeration. I'll back it off to 98 - 99%"

Fair enough but that only applies to areas where there is 98 - 99% coverage...in other areas it would be far less, so the average wouldn't come close to 98 or 99%.

Example - I have a track file here from a relativity small area of the GVD that shows over 300 km of tracks. In the same area the 250K map you claim has 98 to 99% coverage shows ....wait for it....~37 km of tracks = ~12% (based on distance).

I could provide additional examples from the south west of WA where the 250k Map is pretty useless for navigating "tracks" in most areas. In this area it's only good for illustrating your relative position to major highway/towns/features, which is fine and suits some people needs but please...

I dont really know the extent of coverage of track on the 250K map compared to reality but I dont think there is really any need to exaggerate the facts beyond belief given it is actually a good map for the purpose intended (which doesn't include showing 99% of tracks - not actually possible on a map of that scale).

Plus dont forget the EOTopo 200K map - even better that the 250K map as far as tracks go.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861394

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Saturday, Nov 28, 2015 at 07:54

Saturday, Nov 28, 2015 at 07:54
I like to have both running at the same time, the 250k on my phone for an overview of where I am in realtion to well known land marks, and the finer detail map on a tablet because it has tracks not shown on the other map. The 250k map is free so no use whinging about it, but the finer detail maps are worth paying for. Each has its place.
FollowupID: 861400

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Nov 28, 2015 at 12:49

Saturday, Nov 28, 2015 at 12:49
Yes 250K map is great for its intended purpose but it aint the one and only. You can never have enough maps :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861414

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Nov 23, 2015 at 21:11

Monday, Nov 23, 2015 at 21:11
Bob,

I already had an iPad(3G/GPS) so when Hema offered their original package, it was easy to download off iTunes.

I like the easy way one can switch from different maps, say if you're researching a future trip. I've used the tracking quite a bit lately, and in most instances has come out well. Don't need any phone or internet coverage while travelling, but do need a capable USB outlet(2 amp or better) to keep the iPad battery charged. Otherwise the battery gradually flattens over a long day's tracking.

The smaller iPad might be the best for in-car use......mines big enough to maybe invite the attention of the constabulatory, for blocking view through windscreen.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 593056

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 07:24

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 07:24
Apart from my followups above, to answer some of your other points.

You CAN interface into the Landrover's screen which internally uses a GVIF interface. My Toyota is also GVIF and I run a computer screen with Memory Map on the OE nav screen.

Nav screen interface for Land Rover, Toyota etc

Installing this is not a simple task, only tackle it if you are competent with this kind of stuff.

As to the Wiki Camps waypoints, they stopped making them exportable a few years ago, however you can purchase the camps for Camps 7 etc here

I did that but found that it is easier on the book if you are on the road.

AnswerID: 593064

Sponsored Links