Reversing camera

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 17:53
ThreadID: 130970 Views:3332 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Just a question as to whether reversing cameras are worth the effort. Do people usually go for two, i.e. one for hitching, and one for reversing/seeing what's behind you.

Are they difficult to install (for a not-so-handy person)

Any tips much appreciated.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hewy54 - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 18:08

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 18:08
A marriage saver.
Mine is connected to the GPG so as soon as you put the car in reverse, the camera over rides the GPS. Great in car parks and for hitching up. I also have a rear view camera on the van so that I can see what is behind me on the open road when travelling.
Can be a bit fiddly to install, but not that hard.
AnswerID: 593087

Follow Up By: Member - Terry W4 - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 19:12

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 19:12
Agree - marriage saver. I have one through my Navman III
FollowupID: 861265

Follow Up By: Bunny - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 19:22

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 19:22
We don't have a Navman/GPS in the tow vehicle, unfortunately, so would have to install from scratch.

Appreciate your comments/input. Thanks
FollowupID: 861268

Follow Up By: Dr Hook - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 20:01

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 20:01
Bunny; I didn't bother with my Navman screen, I just bought a screen off ebay, which clipped onto my internal rear view mirror (around 10 years ago - still works perfect): works like a mirror when off and turns on when my reversing light go on (I also wired in an over-ride switch for occasional use) : just get one with the bigger tft screen to ensure better view. can also plug in a second uv camera pointing forwards, which is great for seeing wildlife at night.
Google: 7" bluetooth TFT-LCD rear mirror
Dr Hook
FollowupID: 861271

Reply By: Keir & Marg - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 18:24

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 18:24
We have two, one on the car for reversing and hitching up, one on the van which acts as our rear vision mirror when travelling. Having fitted them, I would now not be without them; they are just fantastic. As for fitting them, it depends on what vehicle you have, and how easy it is to get to the positive lead for the reversing light to power the vehicle camera. For the van, I have the camera wired to the van's lights so I can control the camera on/off from the car. It took me quite a while to fit the camera to our Pajero, and I wouldn't recommend you do it yourself if you are not very handy. The van was relatively easy to do.
Now the hairy chestnut, which will probably elicit lots of comments from the forum. I have wireless cameras and they work really well, but lots of people don''t like them, and use wired cameras instead. Wired cameras require an extra coupling between the van and the car, as well as additional wiring within the car. For wireless cameras, you need to ensure that the van camera (especially) has line of sight to the monitor in the car or it won't work properly. If you mount the wireless camera on the back surface of the van it won't work properly, so mine is mounted high on the van roof rack.
AnswerID: 593088

Follow Up By: Bunny - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 19:21

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 19:21
Yes, I am sure that once you have them, you wouldn't be without them. Just have to convince the better half!!!! I think we should leave the installation to the experts. We have a Land Rover.

Have done a little research on the wireless-v-wired so appreciate your comments.

When you say "high on the van roof rack" do you mean actually on the roof, rather than the back wall of the van?
FollowupID: 861267

Follow Up By: Member - RUK42 (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 20:13

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 20:13
Hi Keir & Marg
Sorry to step in on the post - what brand of wireless did you get.
cheers
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 861272

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 22:01

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 22:01
The van camera is mounted to the van roof rack so is above the van roof rather than behind the van. This means it is line of sight back to the monitor fitted in the tow vehicle. Both van and car cameras are from RTM, model number QM3852
FollowupID: 861281

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 22:02

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 22:02
The van camera is mounted to the van roof rack so is above the van roof rather than behind the van. This means it is line of sight back to the monitor fitted in the tow vehicle. Both van and car cameras are from RTM, model number QM3852
FollowupID: 861282

Follow Up By: Member - RUK42 (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 22:21

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 22:21
So your wireless transmitter unit is open to the weather - obviously that is ok too?
Is this the set up but with a second camera?

http://www.roadtechmarine.com.au/-/Comms-and-Electrical/Road-Tech/Digital-Televsion/2-4GHZ-Digital-Wireless-Reversing-Camera/p/RVC140
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 861285

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Thursday, Nov 26, 2015 at 20:23

Thursday, Nov 26, 2015 at 20:23
Yes, this is the unit, and runs two cameras. The van camera is fully exposed to the weather, and that is no problem. Despite the RTM advertising blurb, the camera picture at nightime is not particularly good, but usually we have camped before sunset and have had a glass (or two) of wine, so the nighime performance doesn't matter (the camera, not me!)
FollowupID: 861352

Reply By: Member - WBS - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 18:30

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 18:30
In my opinion:
A reversing camera on the vehicle is indispensable.
A reversing camera on the back of the caravan, camper trailer, or whatever you are towing is handy.
I have a reversing camera as part of my vehicles original build. It is a real safety feature in my opinion. I have young grand kids and am always checking the camera to ensure they aren't anywhere near the vehicle when I reverse. I also look in my mirror too as well as doing a head count to make sure. Can't be too careful.

I don't really use the camera on the back of my caravan for reversing, more as an additional method of seeing whats behind me. That camera operates on a separate monitor mounted on my rear view mirror when towing. It can assist with parking the van but it a wide angle lense and so distorts distance too much to be reliable as a reversing camera. It does not depend on me being in reverse to activate.

WBS
AnswerID: 593089

Follow Up By: Bunny - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 19:18

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 19:18
Thanks for the tip about the distortion and angle lens.....I was thinking it would be just a guide for reversing.....more concerned that it may assist when travelling to know what is behind us. As you know, on a straight road it's virtually impossible to know.

We too have grandkids, so it is certainly the safety factor, as well as the marital harmony aspect.

Thanks for your input.
FollowupID: 861266

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 22:01

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 22:01
A rear view camera for seeing traffic approaching behind you is invaluable. It is also some help when backing even though pointed 'along the road' rather than down at the ground right behind the van. A rear view camera is next to useless for rear view even when pointed down the road because the focus is such that you don't really see the car behind until he is about to pass you.

The are easy to install DIY.

A second one as rear view for the car can be helpful when backing up to the caravan or when just parking the car. You can have the monitor switching between the two as needed.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 593097

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 23:20

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2015 at 23:20
Dont forget they are a supplement to your towing mirrors which are a requirement The camera is recognised as an "Aid"..

If you are "Not so Handy " i would suggest you get someone to do it who knows what they are doing

A good seller of the gear is Safety Dave. Google it
AnswerID: 593099

Reply By: Malcom M - Wednesday, Nov 25, 2015 at 06:51

Wednesday, Nov 25, 2015 at 06:51
I have three.
One on the roof rack for reversing
One under the tailgate pointing at the tow hitch
One wireless on the rear of the camper. Handy to know whats going on out there when driving.
AnswerID: 593103

Reply By: Jeffrey E - Tuesday, Dec 01, 2015 at 15:44

Tuesday, Dec 01, 2015 at 15:44
Depends on your desired setup. If you only need a camera for reversing we only recommend to use 1 but if you need a 2nd camera to monitor an area and want it ON all the time, then we suggest to get a CCD camera as a 2nd camera. Our Caravan Set up is best suited for this. They are not difficult to install, you just need to supply 12/24v power for the screen and position them as desired.
AnswerID: 593294

Sponsored Links