Foil Bubblewrap window shades

Submitted: Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 10:12
ThreadID: 131062 Views:12106 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows where you buy the foil bubblewrap shades for side/rear windows or do people make them? Can find the foil bubblewrap foil on Ebay but not sure how they attach. Thanks Tracey
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 10:22

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 10:22
Hi Tracy

There is this mob Solar Screen. I haven't used them but they look the goods.

I made my own using insulation I bought from Bunnings and cut to fit. I just tucked it behind the trim to hold it in place. It worked a treat, didn't move and was a hell of a lot cheaper.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 593497

Follow Up By: Tracey K - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 10:28

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 10:28
Anthony, Really appreciate that. Gives me two options. Thanks for the photo. Have a good day even if work interrupting it!! Cheers Tracey
FollowupID: 861699

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 13:27

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 13:27
I looked at the products from Solar Screen that Anthony linked, but they don't recommend their product be used with after market window tint, in extreme heat conditions. Not sure what happens but maybe the tint lifts, or bubbles?

Using that foam cell stuff, once cut to size, if you were to edge it with bias binding, or perhaps strips of thin vinyl, would really give it a professional finish, and stop the foam cell deteriorating around the edges.

We used to a couple of towels for the rear doors, to shade the kids in hot weather. My wife cut them to size, and tacked a couple of strips across the 2 top corners, which would then sit over the doors. That way it blocked the sun, but they could still look out if something interesting was near the road...........that's if they weren't asleep. :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 861718

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 13:48

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 13:48
Hi Bob

What you describe is exactly what I did with the ones in the photo. If you click on the photo and enlarge it you can see the black fabric edging.

I bought it from Spotlight and folded it in half and used the wife's sewing machine (she wasn't home) to sew it on. I also cut some strips of clear plastic ( I used some old overhead projector transparencies I had from my teaching days) and stitched these on too. They then poked down behind the trim to hold in place.

I didn't want to use suction cups on the tint. I had the Sat phone holder on the drivers door and it damaged the tint when I removed it.

I have just put some new pieces in and I haven't bothered putting the edging on them. I just used a wide trim tool to pull the trim forward a bit and slipped the screen behind it. It seems to hold it in place better and closer to the glass.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 861722

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 11:53

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 11:53
Hi Tracey, the ones from Solar Screen use suckers with a bayonet end that you poke through the insulation, which you can buy from Clark Rubber and no doubt elsewhere.

I priced up some for my Troopy and almost fell of my seat. Will eventually get around to making my own.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 593504

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 12:19

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 12:19
I like home made, have the fridge in cabin behind front pax seat, missus is crafty, just cut out some cardboard, covered with alfoil and slipped into the inner widon recess, up against the glass, sort of clips in.
Got to watch the window tint though, can't open window or it would scratch the film I'm sure.

If I was making them again like that, I'd look for the bubble wrap one with blue inside / foil outside . . . OR . . .

Get the signage film for vehicles with lots of little holes, can see out, but not in, and if in the plain white, that should reflect a lot of heat.

With the alfoil / cardboard (or bubble wrap insulation) I have just lost my head check capability when reversing etc with the right rear window permanently blocked.
Am guessing this is technically illegal too, but no probs to date touch wood.
AnswerID: 593506

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 13:07

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 13:07
Tracey
Most construction sites that are fitting a iron roof will have 6 mm offcut insulation that is foil covered .
Most insulation now days is not the fibre type, but a compound type which is ideal for your application.
I used this product and insulated inside door panels and rear wall of my vehicle, with good results in both insulating heat and also noise.
Am sure that offcuts are available if you ask the people installing it, certainly better than buying a roll.
If your in W.A I got heaps of it that your welcome to have.
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 593510

Follow Up By: Tracey K - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 19:29

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 19:29
Hi Flighty, In country NSW but thanks for the offer of offcuts. Have seen the blue fibre between foil and it seems rigid. Will check it out. Thank you Tracey
FollowupID: 861932

Reply By: Peter S ,Geelong - Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 20:48

Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 20:48
Yes we have the Solar Screens on our 2004 L.C with tinted windows They are terrific keeps the heat out and priming eyes out No trouble with the windows after all this time we have travelled australia north to south and east to west
AnswerID: 593669

Sponsored Links