Shovel/axe/high-lift jack holder for GU

Submitted: Monday, May 24, 2004 at 10:31
ThreadID: 13109 Views:5056 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We're about to get a shovel/axe holder made for our GU mounted off the spare wheel bracket in similar manner to Kaymar high-lift jack/shovel holders. However, we're not sure how to attach the holder to the spare wheel bracket due to the GU's having a "locating" lug in the centre of the spare wheel hub. We've been told that this would have to be removed and replaced with a couple of studs but we're not sure...

Have any GU owners out there got or seen one of the Kaymar units or similar and how have they overcome this issue? Particularly interested in seeing some pics if at all possible.

:o) Melissa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 10:54

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 10:54
G'day Melissa,
I've got an Opposite Lock (ie: poor man's KAYMAR) version of the dual wheel carrier. The main difference as far as the actual whhel mounting system is concerned is that on the one you've got they had to have the support bracket on there because it uses male bolts to secure the wheel in place. My suggestion would be to get hold of 3 wheel studs and screw them permanently into the 3 holes in your rear door's bracket and grind off the supporting lug. Then when you lift the spare wheel up it's a case of lining up the 3 bolts to their respective wheel holes (same as the GQ system). I think Nissan only went this new way on the GU so that you could hoist the wheel up onto the lug and then move it around till you got the holes lined up. I think (from memory) there is also a small "bump" which another wheel hole goes into to locate the wheel in the right place for the bolts to go in....that would probably have to be ground-off as well.
Cheers,
AnswerID: 59874

Reply By: madcow - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 11:02

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 11:02
Have a look at this site
http://www.kaymar.com.au/access_pjack.html
It shows a hi lift jack holder with a provision for the "locating lug" to remain in place. It would be a better idea to replace the bolts with studs as suggested above to enable the placement and removal of the jack/ spare wheel combination a bit easier.

Cheers
AnswerID: 59877

Reply By: Leroy - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 11:03

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 11:03
Here's another option. A mate has the Brown Davis shovel/axe holder on his GU which he transfered from his Paj! No problems.

Leroy
AnswerID: 59878

Sponsored Links