Search Function?

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 21:59
ThreadID: 131111 Views:1617 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
G'day, can somebody tell me how the search function works, I enter the text and enter, but nothing happens, wonderful new system again...........arghhhhhhhhhhhhh
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 22:29

Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 22:29
Hi

Problem would appear to be at your end...

Works for me (Windows 7/Firefox V 42) . "new system" is great I reckon.

So I suggest for a solution more info probably required - device, browser ?? Not that I'll be able to help ..but anyway

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 593747

Follow Up By: Member - John - Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 22:35

Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 22:35
Thanks, what did you do to start the search function?

Laptop, Win7 Pro, IE 8
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 862048

Follow Up By: Member - John - Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 22:40

Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 22:40
Greg, just realised that the text I type in the search box is red, that normally means not enough characters, but I have filled the search box and still no joy....................
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 862049

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 22:59

Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 22:59
John - No problems with the Search function for me. Desktop, Windows 7 Pro, using Chrome as the browser.

I click on the "Search and Options" menu bar above the forum index.
This produces a new page with the following choices.

Thread Find (insert thread reference number)
Search (insert text)
Search via - Any Text (or) ScreenName/Alias
Sort Results By - ThreadID (or) Response Time
Options - Open threads in new tab/window

I'd suggest you have a problem with IE 8, and you would be well-advised to upgrade to IE 11, the latest browser.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 862050

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 23:01

Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 23:01
Hi

Type in anything...I have tried Harry and Toyota and get a list of threads as options to look at. Bit different to old system but a "box" listing seach results appears below search box over top of forum listing. Works on my tablet as well. Go a bit slower and see.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862051

Follow Up By: Member - John - Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 23:10

Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 23:10
Greg, if I type any slower I will be typing backwards.

Nothing happens when I type in the "Search (insert text)" box, text stays red.........

Ron, thanks, but I refuse to continually upgrade for no reason.....................

John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 862052

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 23:15

Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 23:15
O.K. - but I also have Maxthon browser loaded - and using Maxthon, I still have no problem with the search function.
Perhaps the problem is related to another programme you have installed, such as your Anti-Virus programme, which may be blocking the search function.
It's no big deal to upgrade to IE 11, it only takes a couple of minutes and there's no vast amount of changes to get used to, unlike some upgrades, such as upgrading to Windows 10.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 862053

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 23:57

Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 23:57
"I refuse to continually upgrade for no reason"

Could be a reason now..:)

Updates can be a pain but you need to keep moving with the times or some "stuff" will just stop working (though having said that sticking with Win 7 for time being :)

Someone had issue with older browsers a while ago with the website (cant remember why) and it was revealed that as some coding (AKA witchcraft) changes had occurred it was made apparent that a browser update was required (in that case at least).

No idea if this is the issue at hand but no point in being stubborn if problem will be solved by a simple update (maybe)..

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862054

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 11:03

Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 11:03
I have no trouble with search (Google chrome) but (Ron N) I don't see a "Search and Options" menu bar above the forum index."
Nor does a new page come up.

All I have is a menu bar above forum index and it doesn't have that option.
I do click on the magnifying glass on the right side of the top menu bar area, and a drop down box appears.

If I type in > harry butler < and click enter I get a window come up with a list . . . Articles, Treks, Shop, Places, etc, right down to Forum (which shows a 4 in brackets to indicate 4 items on forums).

Click on Forums and you get a list drop down of 4 threads with harry butler in them, they look like individual threads, not more than one reference in the same thread etc.

In case you have the same as me John, and can't see that larger search option, try the above.
AnswerID: 593755

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 11:05

Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 11:05
AAAAHHH !
Just found it !!!

You have to be in the main forum window only, not visible in sub forums or from within threads.
The drop down magnifying glass search is everywhere.
FollowupID: 862069

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 11:29

Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 11:29
Hi to all those that replied. Interestingly when I type a word in the search function as long as I type one word it stays black and shows the threads below the window, as I type the second word and the text becomes red and the threads disappear, will message Adele tomorrow. Thanks for all the input.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 593757

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 14:36

Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 14:36
Hmm there is a problem there in the main Search & Options window John.
Type harry b in the Text search window for example, no red, but type harry bu and it goes red as you hit the u.
As you type your search text letters, it narrows down in the list appearing below, pretty cool the way it works.

The magnifying glass drop down search line function hasn't got this issue, type all you like then enter, up comes the new window with list of forum pages from Articles to Wildflowers, and the number of results in each section including Forum, Blogs, etc
FollowupID: 862079

Follow Up By: luxtourer - Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 21:42

Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 21:42
Must be treating "bu", "but" etc (but not "b" by itself) as whole words. Then, strictly speaking, the results are correct (and hence the red colour), you won't find any threads relating to "harry bu" etc. Notice that results reappear when you type the full "harry butler". So "harry", "harry b" and "harry butler" will all find threads with "harry butler" mentioned.
Be nice to have wildcard characters at times, eg "harry b*" to find all the harry b's.

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 862093

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 20:59

Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 20:59
I made a query today, but accidently discovered if I put the thread number in the the top field, then clicked the next one down...BINGO

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 593767

Follow Up By: Member - John - Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 21:03

Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 21:03
Doug, thanks for that, but not good if you don't know the thread number....... LOL. Cheers. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 862091

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 21:07

Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 21:07
OK but then I type in BS-300 in the same field and it worked , it took me to the Spitfire article

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 593769

Sponsored Links