Mt Pinnibar track

Hi all

Over Xmas we are thinking of doing a loop drive from Tom Groggin up to Davies Plain hut and then continue along and cut across to the Mt Piinibar track and back to Tom Groggin.

I have done the Davies Plain track a few times but have not done the Mt Pinnibar track which I have been told is a bit harder and steeper.
Not all the 4wds have whinches

I have the High Country tracks book which shows both trips separately

Q1 ...Has any body done the Mt Pinnibar track lately and what condition is it in.
Q2...Which direction is it it best to do it in.
Q3...Is there a link road to connect them.without going all the way to Benambra.

Any advice appreciated.....Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 18:00

Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 18:00
Mt Pinnabar track was a little chopped up last time I was there. Although steep it's generally fine in the dry although better slidinging down if wet. Can cut across via Mt Anderson track. Also the final drop into the Dogman's hut can be very slippery clay better taken downhill.

Cheers Craig..........
AnswerID: 593762

Follow Up By: Bravo Man - Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 22:41

Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 22:41
Thanks Craig for that info

Peter
FollowupID: 862096

Reply By: Member - Will 76 Series - Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 22:12

Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 22:12
Peter, I did this loop a couple of years ago and it is a great drive. I would recommend going South from Tom Groggin on Long Plains and going all the way to Benambra it is a nice run into this little town. We then headed North up along Benamba/Corryong Road until just north of Stacey Bridge reserve where we turned SE on Scrubby Creek track. It is very steep for the first 8km or so until you get up a bit and then once on the spur lines it levels out (a bit). Dry this steep track is safe but may be different if wet, the road is hard gravel and I would definitely let a bit of air out. Low range and take it easy it will be OK.
We planned to track east along Dunstan/Pinnibar track to Mt Pinnabar but couldn't get thru due to bridge repairs. Alt route take was Scrubby creek track to Six mile ridge track to Paddyjoy track to Mt Gibbo track to Mount Anderson track up onto Mt Pinnibar. At MT Pinnibar the scenery was awesome and you look down on Tom Groggin and Dogmans hut. It is steep but good drive from here down to Tom Groggin and I would prefer to drive down this section then up. Definitely worth the loop but it will be a long day and overnight with swags may be an alt options? Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 593772

Follow Up By: Bravo Man - Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 22:40

Sunday, Dec 13, 2015 at 22:40
Thanks Will, that trip sounds fantastic,I will do some more research and check it out.

Peter
FollowupID: 862095

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Dec 14, 2015 at 00:16

Monday, Dec 14, 2015 at 00:16
We did it a few years ago after a big storm. Came across a fellow and his wife who had been washed half off the track and stuck overnight from the storm. We pulled him back onto the track and we all went on our way. In dry conditions it's steep but pretty straight forward, if it's wet then things get tricky due to the sheer steepness. The river can rise quickly too. Be aware the crossing is crescent shaped not straight across or you can drown your car.
AnswerID: 593773

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Dec 14, 2015 at 07:08

Monday, Dec 14, 2015 at 07:08
While planning a trip there last year, I called Parks in Ome0 and spoke to a ranger. Lucky, they gave me advice on what tracks were virtually impassable and which had been graded recently. I think Mt Pinnibar was done in about Feb last year.

They are very helpful,, and given how quickly the tracks can change up there is it a great heads up.
AnswerID: 593775

Reply By: Gazza11 - Monday, Dec 14, 2015 at 10:51

Monday, Dec 14, 2015 at 10:51
Guys,

18 months ago it was quite challenging but the tread suggests it's been fixesd, i hope so as we go to Tom Groggin every Easter and the Davies Plain, Mt Pinnibar Loop is a fantastic day trip which I never tire of.

Mt Pinnibar was first surveyed by Harry Judge in 1955 on horseback from Dogmans Hut whilst working for the Snowy Mountains Authority. I had the proviledge of getting to know Harry in the last few years of his life and he was one of natures true gentlemen!

Gazza
AnswerID: 593781

Reply By: patsproule - Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 06:29

Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 06:29
We went up there last January having done it many times before. It's an awesome drive but the last time got the better of us.There is a very steep section just before you climb up onto the final spur and it was so chopped up we decided to turn around after watching the first vehicle have a very hard time climbing it (kitted out 120 Prado). If we had winches we would have done it
AnswerID: 593809

Follow Up By: Bravo Man - Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 06:43

Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 06:43
Hi patsproule.....the section that turned you around was you heading away from Tom Groggin or toward it.....peter
FollowupID: 862131

Reply By: patsproule - Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 17:53

Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 17:53
We were travelling from Tom Groggin to Mt Pinnabar.
AnswerID: 593837

Follow Up By: Bravo Man - Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 20:45

Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 20:45
Hi again....I think most people I have talked to or replied have gone the other way and comment how steep the downhill is,

many thanks Peter
FollowupID: 862158

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 22:44

Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 22:44
Personally, I thought it was steeper going down towards the Corryong Rd. There are a few ways out that side.
FollowupID: 862169

Reply By: Bravo Man - Sunday, Jan 03, 2016 at 00:23

Sunday, Jan 03, 2016 at 00:23
Hi again

Thank you for all your replies.

We did go to that area but we did two return trips from Tom Groggin over two days.

The first day we did Davies Plain track, this was a lot harder than last time about 4 years ago. It was very rutted and slow going. On the return trip we came across a Range Rover club with about ten 4 wd's. Unfortunately one of them had a roll over (two times) half way down the steep hill and was lucky not to go over the edge. The rest of his group was able to recover it in about 2 hours and it was able to be driven out but it was a right off. We also heard over the radio that there was a recovery on Mt Pinnabar at the same time which spooked us for the next day.

The next day we did Mt Pinnabar with the thought if it got to hard we would turn back.Luckily it had recently been fixed and it was in very good condition. Towards the top it was a bit rocky but easily done. Great views from the top and while we were there we could hear the dozer down the hill on one of the other tracks.

Again thank you for your help.....Peter

AnswerID: 594426

Sponsored Links