Roos on the Road

Submitted: Monday, Dec 14, 2015 at 12:04
ThreadID: 131120 Views:1966 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Saturday had to take a run halfway to Townsville. The country is as dry as can be. Early morning saw the usual amount of roos. On the way back passed through a light drizzle which left small puddles on the road. There was lots of small groups of roos licking water off the road. A lot more than usual early in the morning but this was early afternoon. Family groups i.e. buck, 2 or 3 does,l last years joeys & joeys in the pouch.

Shows how dry the country is if they water on the road. Have never seen this before. Has anyone else?

Bill
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Dec 14, 2015 at 13:24

Monday, Dec 14, 2015 at 13:24
Seen this a few times Bill, but most recently between the Towers and Hughenden, late one afternoon. There were a few showers about(couldn't call them storms!) and there were a few mobs doing what you describe.

Pretty dangerous for them most of the time, but even more so in this case as they were wet and tended to blend into the damp bitumen in the afternoon light. Didn't hit any..............well, not that afternoon.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 593783

Reply By: steved58 - Monday, Dec 14, 2015 at 13:26

Monday, Dec 14, 2015 at 13:26
Happened to me a few years back on the nullabor light rain and roos came from everywhere to drink from the puddles on the road could not get the speed up to much over 50km/h for them the water soon dried up and the roos disappeared again it was also in the afternoon
AnswerID: 593784

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Dec 14, 2015 at 14:24

Monday, Dec 14, 2015 at 14:24
Yes, it's common in dry inland areas - very common in the W.A. Northern and Eastern Goldfields and across the Long Paddock, as Steved58 mentions.
In the Goldfields, a few days after heavy rain, the roadside vegetation would grow fast and green, and the 'roos would be lined up like pigs at a feed trough, snacking on the fresh green shoots.

I can recall coming across a massive flock of 'roos across the Nullarbor in late July 1969, they were moving South like a huge flock of sheep, following the feed and water as the North was drying out due to the start of the big '69-72 drought.

It was the most amazing sight I have ever seen, there must have been 500-800 'roos all bunched up, and crossing the road from North to South (I was heading West).
I tried to drive through them slowly, but the flock didn't want to part. It was like trying to drive through a flock of sheep.
One big 'roo took a flying leap and tried to jump the ute, but he clipped the mudguard, fell onto the bonnet and then fell over the edge, onto the road!

He got up and hopped away, none the worse for wear. I had to stop and let the 'roos past, it was impossible to drive through them.
I don't think I would ever see so many 'roos again, travelling like that in one mob, and with one determined aim - to keep heading South.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 593785

Reply By: pmk03 - Monday, Dec 14, 2015 at 14:37

Monday, Dec 14, 2015 at 14:37
Travelling north from Broken Hill towards Tibooburra we saw many but it had not rained - they were actually lined up in the shadows thrown by the telegraph poles, looked like they were trying to keep out of the sun.
Funniest thing I had see out in that region for a while, looked like they were queuing up for something
Cheers
AnswerID: 593786

Reply By: Slow one - Monday, Dec 14, 2015 at 15:02

Monday, Dec 14, 2015 at 15:02
A few years ago I used to drive in and out of Townsville at night. About 20k's north of Proserpine the wallabies would line each side of the road and just be oblivious to you, I can't remember hitting one.

North of Bowen from Sandy creek to up past Guthalungra big greys were everywhere and it was just like the killing fields. I would hate to count the number I hit. Even around Mt Elliot south of Townsville I cleaned up quite a few.

I don't think they are eastern greys or reds, they should be renamed suicide skippies.

AnswerID: 593787

Reply By: Member - jm&cmb - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 12:00

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 12:00
have seen it a couple of times worst was in mid 80's out at Thargominda late in the arvo started to rain and the road was invaded by 100's of the blighters, came from every were couldn't help but hit them only way to not hit them was to pull up. So that's what we did, pulled over watched the setting sun and the continuous comings and goings (and there was some mighty big red's) and had a camp for the night. The next day the road was littered with carcasses the road trains don't slow down for Mr Skippy
AnswerID: 594061

Sponsored Links