Help from the 4x4 community in Melbourne - Stolen Landcruiser Ute

Submitted: Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 00:31
ThreadID: 131152 Views:4699 Replies:11 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
It's not often I send out a cry for help but with the Crown Prince in Thailand for Xmas, I feel the need. I've just returned home to find his beloved 2004 Toyota Landcruiser ute Reg No. Vic 1CU 4SP stolen from outside the front of our house in Newport, western suburbs of Melbourne today between 0800 and 1500.

It's a neat looking unit, white with a large grey space case mounted in the rear tray and a spare tyre mounted upright against the trays rear window protection bar.

A 2" lift with black steelies and 33" AT tyres and a distinctive reflective mining stripe around the tray. Black bullbar with 24" light bar center mounted above the top rail of the bullbar and two antennae on the left hand side of vehicle. Stolen broad daylight today. Interior has distinctive stainless checkerplate interior trim he spent hours cutting out himself.

If sighted, call 000 immediately.

Thanks and a merry Xmas to all. I won't be telling him his beloved ute has been stolen till he gets home in the new year.

It's out there. Let's find it. Mick.

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 01:49

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 01:49
bleep !!! Bloody bastards!!

That's not what we need to hear right before Xmas!

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 593915

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 05:54

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 05:54
Sorry to hear that Mick...

On the lookout, Baz
AnswerID: 593916

Reply By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 08:32

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 08:32
Sorry mate... hope he gets it back..

Have you put it up on facebook? Most people check their facebook account every few minutes so you should get a lot of views....

All the best for Christmas and 2016 mate
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 593920

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Dec 20, 2015 at 09:52

Sunday, Dec 20, 2015 at 09:52
Cheers Fred. All been done. We'll keep our fingers crossed. Not so much the monetary aspect of the vehicle just trhe hundreds and hundreds of hours he's spent learning and fixing. Very disappointing.

All the best to you and yours. May see you around a campfire in 2016.

Cheers
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862330

Reply By: Kanga1 - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 08:58

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 08:58
That's terrible Mick, hope it gets back home unmolested, Folk Festival down here soon I'll keep my eyes open for it. Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

AnswerID: 593921

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:25

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:25
You'll get a severe roasting for calling 000, just because you've sighted a stolen vehicle.

000 is rightfully reserved for high-level emergencies involving major accidents causing injury, for severe personal danger, or where someone is in need of urgent medical help and requires immediate attention by qualified medics.

To report a sighting of a stolen vehicle, you should call your local Police contact number, or Crimestoppers.
The sighting information is added to the Police computerised information database to assist in recovery.
Always remember that Police place a much lower priority on stolen property recovery, than on crimes involving the person.

Sorry to hear of the loss Mick, that's a terrible discovery to make.
Let's hope the vehicle is found soon, in good shape and with minimal damage.

As I've said before, in todays hi-tech electronic age, if you have an expensive 4WD, if pays to invest in a GPS tracking device, they aren't that expensive today.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 593933

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 14:02

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 14:02
Not so sure about that, possibly an either or!

If it is in a driveway perhaps a call to Crimestoppers…but

If a crime is happening (time-critical) call Triple 000 and ask for the police – and I guess if you spot Mick’s sons vehicle out and about on the road then a crime is happening!

At midnight, a couple of years ago, someone was hooking up my neighbour’s caravan and driving off with it. I followed them in my car called Triple 000 (time-critical), they put me straight through to the police and onto the local police station who told me to follow at a safe distance whilst they mobilised, quick action had the offenders caught red-handed…

No roasting received, offenders caught and locked-up after successfully being prosecuted for this crime and a number of others, caravan returned…!

But please don’t take my word for it, I’ve been known to be wrong – but here is some detail from the ACMA…

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 862249

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 14:32

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 14:32
I have called 000 on two occasions only one was a actual emergency the other was just for some livestock on the road at night , instead of asking for police , l said can l ask a question answer was , yes sure , told the bloke on the other end , l then asked if l done the right thing , he said yes you have .
FollowupID: 862250

Follow Up By: muzbry - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 14:38

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 14:38
Gday
Mick has broad shoulders and can take the backlash from OOO .
Sorry to hear that Mick, hope all goes well to a safe return.
FollowupID: 862252

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 17:00

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 17:00
Hmmmm,,"threat to life, property or time critical"

Would telling the operator that you just caught some low life trying to steal your car, you have him "restrained', and if they don't get a copper to your location in 10 minutes or less you are going to beat him to an unrecognisable pulp, cover any or all of those criteria??

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 862257

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 18:08

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 18:08
Pop, yep, that's a good line - but unfortunately, catching car thieves in the act is a real risk unless you outnumber them.
Seen too many good blokes go down when they tried, and the scumbags produced screwdrivers, knives, lumps of timber, and associates that were in hiding.
Had a mate who was 6' 4" (193cm) and a rugby player, so you can guess his build.
He heard the window of his wifes Beemer (parked in the driveway right next to the house) being smashed at 2:00AM and got up to see what was going on, only to see two hoods breaking into it.
He ran outside, grabbed the two by the hair, ready to bang their heads together - when everything went black.
He woke up 15 mins later, concussed and bleeding, thanks to 2 other hoods hiding in the bushes behind him, who laid him out with a lump of 75x50 timber!
The Beemer was gone and he had to nurse a sore head for a week to add to his woes.
The cops found the Beemer about 10 days later, burnt out.
He's not so keen about being gung-ho about tackling car thieves today.
I caught 6 hoods breaking into a car at the beach about 12 years ago, in broad daylight, with lots of people around, and tried sneaking up on them.
They spotted me and jumped in the stolen Commodore and screamed out of the carpark at 60kmh, narrowly missing people.
I thought about it afterwards and think it was probably lucky I didn't grab them - it could have turned out very nasty indeed, as I know at least one had a big screwdriver, and his mate probably had one, too.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 862259

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 10:00

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 10:00
Ron, no roasting here in Victoria as 000 is the only number to call for police and emergency service attendance REGARDLESS of circumstance.

Unfortunately Victoria does not have a direct police advice line for reports on minor/non-urgent or administrative nature.

Triple 000 calls are triaged twice with time critical/urgent matters being assessed and forwarded to CAD operators for assignment to an operational police unit. CAD operators still deal with ALL police related matters although they may provide advice for you to attend the local police station or they will assign the call to a station and they will ring you.

I won't go into all the details around maintaining personal safety by tackling crooks yourself, that's the coppers job and why you call 000. Victoria's current anti-theft strategies rely on quick notification so they can preserve any evidence left in/with a vehicle and to ensure that the damn things doesn't get stolen again in the interim (offender may have only parked it and still be using it).

Something for you to be aware of when travelling down here in Victoria should you need police or emergency services.

The whole point of the post is to get the information out there and hope that people will share it with their networks, 4x4 clubs and friends or to keep an eye out while travelling in the bush and high country over Xmas New Years. While it's insured, that's poor consolation for a young bloke who's slaved his guts out across weekends and school holidays since he was 14 to save and pay for his dream vehicle (Pulling tyres out of shipping containers in the 40C heat of summer is only something a young bloke could do ;-) and then spent hours teaching himself the mechanical skills to work on his car. Something I'm extremely proud of and which makes this all the more disappointing for us as a family.

Cheers and all the best to you for Xmas and the New Year.

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862271

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 11:09

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 11:09
Thanks, Mick - I didn't know that in Victoria, unlike other states, 000 is the only number to call for all urgent help.
In W.A., we had a big ad campaign to stop people unnecessarily calling 000, because of the huge number of idiot calls to 000, that was overwhelming the service and blocking important emergency calls.
We had idiots calling 000 because their cat was stuck in tree, or even worse, wanting to know where the nearest Hungry Jacks was.
So the ad campaign was aimed at redirecting "non-urgent" calls to 131444.

Now, the W.A. system is a shambles anyway, as a call to WAPOL on 131444 promptly goes to a "press 1, if you want - press 2, if you want" - etc, etc, etc for 5 mins - all ending in a message, that if the situation isn't life-threatening, you have to go to the WAPOL website and lodge an online report!!

Below is the 000 FAQ from ACMA. Unfortunately, the site says nothing about differences between states in the approach to using 000. A nationwide standard approach is something that should have been agreed on, instead of different state approaches.

ACMA - FAQ about the emergency call services

At the bottom of the above link, the last question advises that an app is available for smartphones that provides an explanation for when to call emergency numbers. This app has been produced by the Triple Zero Awareness Work Group, a national body representing all the various emergency services and industry partners - which group is obviously working towards sorting out bugs in the system and smoothing out problems that have arisen.

Probably the greatest failing in the emergency call system today is the lack of precise location information when calling emergency services. This is what they always need, immediately.

The app provides your location to emergency services, based on the GPS locator that is part of all smartphones - but when using other services, you have to ensure you can give reasonably precise location details.
On long, featureless roads, this can be a real problem, particularly when you're in an unfamiliar area.
On that basis, carrying some kind of accurate location device would definitely be a huge advantage.
Your phone GPS locator can also sometimes be inaccurate, and the services can only triangulate your rough position from mobile network towers.

This accurate location ability would be particularly important if, say, you crashed your car well off the road, and were not visible from the road, and you were unable to move.

One BIL, a Snr/Sgt, OIC of Northampton cop shop, copped a heap of flak and grilling, when a report was lodged to him about a crashed car on an isolated stretch of the NW Coastal Hwy, North of Northampton.
He went out to the general location with an associate, looking for the vehicle, and was unable to find it, despite a search, and despite the scrub being only moderately thick.

They returned and told HQ they couldn't find the reported vehicle, and suspected it was a hoax call, or the reportee had been mistaken.
However, there was a crashed car there, a bloke was dead in it, and it was sighted by a truckie several days later (who could see it, due to being located higher in the truck cab).

When the vehicle and body was recovered, the relatives kicked up a big stink, saying the victim might have been saved if the BIL had found the vehicle first off. There was a degree of argument about whether that was true or not, but the BIL still copped some serious flak from his bosses over the event.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 862281

Follow Up By: gelatr - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 11:37

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 11:37
There wouldn't be a roasting here in Queensland either. While reporting seeing a stolen vehicle doesn't necessarily fall into the urgent/emergency category reserved for 000, compared to the hoax and idiot calls they get it would be considered a legitimate probably forwarded to the Crime Stoppers number or Police Link.

I hope the vehicle is found.

Merry Christmas

Geoff
FollowupID: 862284

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 17:01

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 17:01
Sorry but 000 is not the only contact for police in Vic - they have Crime Stoppers like everywhere else.
FollowupID: 862309

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Dec 20, 2015 at 00:19

Sunday, Dec 20, 2015 at 00:19
Cheers Gary. Good luck with that. I think you are getting a little mixed up with a Police advice line" type facility as mentioned above. Some states have 13444 numbers for non urgent matters. We had them in Victoria until the Emergency Services Communications Authority (ESTA) took over the role of Comms and CAD for emergency services within the state.

Crime stoppers is actually a not for profit who's aim is to encourage people to ring in (often anonymously) with information about a crime sort of like "Dob in a dealer". They also handle rewards for information.

Might pay for you to have a read up on it but in the meantime, if you're ever in Victoria and suffer or witness a crime or emergency contact police on 000. If you consider it a non urgent or administrative matter, then pop along to your local police station of give them a ring direct.

https://www.crimestoppersvic.com.au/

Cheers
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862321

Follow Up By: Member - Gnomey - Sunday, Dec 20, 2015 at 07:29

Sunday, Dec 20, 2015 at 07:29
Yep OOO is the number. What a bugger Mick.

Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 862325

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 21:32

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 21:32
Thanks all. My hope is that someone out there travelling in the high country or places beyond over Xms/New Year may recognise the ute and contact police.

I managed to locate some rough footage of the thieving bastards vehicle leaving the scene of the crime. Hopefully some enhanced photographs will be forthcoming.

It is a Holden SS type ute colour unknown. It was loitering in the area for a half hour before the theft. I have a feeling it's a local or 'westy' vehicle car as they knew the lay of the land.

Cheers and all the best for Xmas.

Mick

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 593942

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 10:57

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 10:57
Nice video, Fox Glacier ?
Obviously the wrong link, so hope the right link is forthcoming . . . I don't think that's Mick doing a glacier in Thailand, is it ?
FollowupID: 862278

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 11:08

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 11:08
Les, it picked up an old profile pick for the original video that I replaced. Should be fixed now. It's on both vimeo and Youtube.

Cheers

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862280

Follow Up By: The Landy - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 22:04

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 22:04
Hey, as an aisde to the intention of your post Mick, I've stayed in that hut a couple of times whilst climbing around the Fox Glacier region. Usually it involved a hike down from Pioneer Hut further up an overnight stay and then a quick helicopter ride back down to town...

And on the lookout for the vehicle!

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 862318

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 22:47

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 22:47
Unlike the other states where the non emergency number to call for police assistance is 131444, in Victoria they do not use this number and ask us call to police for assistance (non administrative) on 000.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 593944

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 10:02

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 10:02
Spot on MH.
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862272

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 10:45

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 10:45
Back to the stolen Landcruiser Mick, put it on Facebook (ask a friend if you are not on Facebook), and ask for it to be shared. It will have people all over the country on the lookout. Facebook is a good way of finding things with the wide exposure it can be given.

Best of luck for a successful outcome.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 593957

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 11:19

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 11:19
Already done!

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 862282

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 14:09

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 14:09
How about a link to it here (if acceptable to admins) so we can all share. If it is done properly, as soon as the vehicle is found, it will show from the original on all the shared pages and people can stop looking and sharing.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862300

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 14:55

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 14:55
Here's the link, below. Facebook is a good way to spread the word.
Also, notifying tow-truck groups is another good way of getting more eyes on the job - the towies get around, and are the type of blokes who notice abandoned or suss vehicles.
The biggest worry is if it has already been driven into a workshop and hidden and is perhaps already being dismantled.
Look out for fresh ads for major Landcruiser components (engine, tranny, wheels, bullbar) - particularly components that are in top condition - and you can't see the original vehicle they came from, or the story as to their origin can't be checked out.
Spares in excellent condition have to come from a newish wreck to be genuine. So the seller has to be able to provide proof of the purchase of the wreck, even if he's already scrapped the rest.

Facebook - Stolen cars notice board - Victoria
FollowupID: 862305

Reply By: allein m - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 16:33

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 16:33
I can say from listening to the my scanner that the NSW police have lots of RBT s out there, and many on the back roads

the area my radio covers is from Albury all the way to Broken Hill wilcania

So with any luck they persons will get stopped in one of them

I am in Broken Hill and I have put the rego onto my dash

Not the best time of year to drive a stolen car
AnswerID: 593981

Reply By: Rod W6 - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 18:15

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 18:15
As I have just experienced similar (on Monday) I can honestly say I really feel for you Mick. Hope you have the same pleasing result that I had.
Regards
Rod
AnswerID: 593990

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Jan 03, 2016 at 00:32

Sunday, Jan 03, 2016 at 00:32
Mick - Any joy with recovery of the stolen Landcruiser ute?
Your post on Facebook seems to have disappeared.
I don't know if that's something that happens as a Facebook feature, or if you'd taken the notice down, because it had been found.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 594427

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Jan 03, 2016 at 08:48

Sunday, Jan 03, 2016 at 08:48
No sightings and as yet unrecovered Ron. Haven't taken anything down from any facebook sites so will check what has happened there.

Still looking.

Cheers

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862805

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jan 03, 2016 at 14:21

Sunday, Jan 03, 2016 at 14:21
O.K. - I finally found the Facebook post via a search for "Landcruiser stolen Victoria".
Your post appears to have been removed from the Facebook page, "Stolen cars, Victoria", and has been transferred to Braxton Conroy's personal Facebook page.

I'd have to hazard an educated guess, based on long experience, that the vehicle has probably been dismantled by now - and keeping an eye open for cheap, "quick cash sale" Landcruiser components being advertised, could yield some information.

Thieves have to move the vehicle or components somehow, and quite often, they're dumb enough to advertise.
Of course, going interstate is also one of their simplest and easiest tricks, so we need to keep an eye open for cheap Landcruiser components or panels in other States - even distant ones.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 862823

Sponsored Links