ARB compressor issues

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 10:46
ThreadID: 131183 Views:4785 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Got a high output ARB compressor that is about 3 years old and seems like it's given up already.

Last time I used it she seemed like she got fairly warm and had a small amount of smoke coming from around it. I turned it off. Let it cooled down and used it again once cool.

Went to use it a couple of months later and no go at all. Any ideas guys/ladies. Fuse is good. Battery supplying power is good.

Fairly disappointed if it's given up the ghost already. Certainly hasn't had a hard or strenuous life.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 11:14

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 11:14
I had a similar issue about a year ago. There is an internal thermal cutout that goes open circuit. It is a VERY poor design. That cutout switch has a part number on it. When you google it you see that it is only rated at 10A, not 30A plus that the motor draws. I took it apart and just bypassed that part. And it worked ok.

You can take the compressor apart but you will probably need new seals. There is a parts list and exploded diagram on the ARB website but it is hard to find. Call their head office and they will email a link to you. They also sell spares. The internal positive and negative wires are also close make sure you don't short them.

WARNING it is very very difficult to put back together due to the magnet and brushes fighting you, also there are a few fine rings and parts that need to go back in the same spot. I figured it was worth a try as it was bin material otherwise.
AnswerID: 594059

Follow Up By: shanegu6 - Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 09:42

Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 09:42
Got it working again by direct wiring the unit. Not as fancy now with no on/off switch. But she'll pump the cruisers tyres up again.
Cheers guys!
FollowupID: 862730

Reply By: Member - Young Nomads - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 12:32

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 12:32
Hi there.

I was wondering which model you bought?

Was it the portable high outlet compressor or the portable twin compressor unit?

Also, have you contacted ARB about it?

Robyn
AnswerID: 594064

Follow Up By: shanegu6 - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 12:38

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 12:38
It's the portable high output compressor.
Haven't contacted ARB.
FollowupID: 862391

Reply By: mountainman - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 17:16

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 17:16
I have the high output single and twin arb.
had the single just about stuffed
arb warrantied the work even after I said I dont know how old it is..
I said I know its more than 3years.
conrod was slapping against the plastic filter and was flogging it out.
all replaced as new
no cost to me.
sounds similar to your issues for sure.

be curtious to the shop and you could have a win like I did..
cheers
AnswerID: 594068

Reply By: wheeler - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 10:55

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 10:55
Take it back to ARB. Have always found them to be pretty good with Warranty.
AnswerID: 594083

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, Dec 26, 2015 at 22:23

Saturday, Dec 26, 2015 at 22:23
I've always wondered why they don't have a longer warranty period considering they have been making good quality compressors for quite a few yrs now and their not cheap to buy. Hopefully you will be able to get it fixed for a reasonable price. I bought a Bushranger 11 yrs ago because it was the only one that had a 5 yr warranty which should be standard for all quality compressors these days.
AnswerID: 594179

Reply By: Malcom M - Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 09:35

Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 09:35
Been pumping up tyres or air lockers?

Don't care what they say, its too small to handle tyres and no one (me incl) respects the duty cycle.
AnswerID: 594355

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 12:28

Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 12:28
More info would be nice about your experience with this so called problem you have discovered. Most brands of compressors are designed with pumping up tyres being the main function and running air lockers which is usually mentioned in their ads. Respect the duty cycle when it gets too hot it cuts out and won't start until it cools down so if you have one mounted under your bonnet it would be advisable to open the bonnet so you're not cooking your compressor and potentially shortening its life. I was told that when I bought mine most manufactures should probably offer the same advice.
FollowupID: 862858

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 13:05

Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 13:05
What 'so called' problem?
My comment is that the duty cycle is more often than not completely ignored mainly due teh time taken for it to pump a tyre.

We are not talking about 'most brands' of compressors. We are talking about fairly small ARB models that are basically sold to operate their lockers.

You seem to have completely missed my point about duty cycles. They are seldom respected. Ie when you are in a convoy and everyone with a proper sized compressor has already aired up and are becoming really bored waiting for you to respect your duty cycle, you might just be tempted to ignore it and pump away.
The unit overheats pretty quickly and the fuse holder + wiring melts. No doubt you have used yours as intended, kudos to you, but do a google and you'll see this is not just my imagination. Start here and learn about some 'so called' problems - https://www.google.com.au/search?q=arb+compressor+melting&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=8NCJVoC0I6WrmAXhtbywAw

I have one, it lives inside the truck so does not suffer from engine heat or dust ingest (did your supplier advise you about dust?), its only used for running the lockers but its fuse holder became a blobby chunk of molten plastic with the ARB wiring showing signs of doing similar. Fuse holder now replaced.

I carry a separate much larger compressor for the tyres, much quicker and leaves the locker comp still functional for when I need to really work.
FollowupID: 862862

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 17:09

Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 17:09
But Shane's comp is not duty cycle unless I'm wrong it has thermal protection and can run continuously so talking about duty cycle is irrelevant to the subject. But while we're on it I don't get it about people getting bored waiting for their mate to destroy their comp because it's slower a friend would park next to them and help by using theirs obviously things have changed amongst so called mates these days. Not sure what kudos to me means I'm not an American.
FollowupID: 862866

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 17:47

Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 17:47
'Kudos to you' simply means 10 points for doing things properly.
FollowupID: 862867

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 09:34

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 09:34
Bushranger have an external air filter which can be replaced when needed.
FollowupID: 862902

Sponsored Links