Newcastle NYE Stockton Foreshore Camping

Submitted: Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 21:21
ThreadID: 131224 Views:2539 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

I have been told that the Stockton foreshore area in Newcastle has been barricaded off and signage erected stating that there is no camping allowed this year for NYE and that rangers will be patrolling and fining those who stay there.

Can anyone in or around Newcastle confirm this for me as I am unable to find any mention of this on the Newcastle City Council website or on their Facebook page?

NYE camping in this area has been an unofficially tolerated for a number of years now and last year there were several hundred vans, tents, motorhomes and camper trailers set up for one or two nights over the NYE period. It has been a very popular place in the past and as there is only one caravan park in Newcastle (located at Stockton and over flowing at Christmas) there is nowhere else to stay in Newcastle. Free camping is not allowed anywhere in the city or surrounding suburbs.

If it is true that camping over NYE period is banned then Newcastle is the loser and will miss out on a lot of potential visitors staying and spending in the city.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hoyks - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 21:42

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 21:42
Do the visit and spend, or bring their own stuff from home and trash the place?

How many are visitors and how many are relatively local and just don't want the crap and fireworks in their own back yard?

Anyway, they have been fining people for a while. http://www.newcastle.nsw.gov.au/Council/News/Latest-News/No-camping-in-parks-and-reserves
AnswerID: 594248

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 21:44

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 21:44
Click here is the link I stuffed up in the last post.
FollowupID: 862591

Reply By: K&FT - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 21:44

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 21:44
There is some info here on what is permitted and where as well as the conditions that apply

https://www.mr4x4.com.au/stockton-beach-camping-4x4-access-need-know/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=New+rules+for+4X4+access+%26+camping+at+Stockton+Beach&utm_campaign=Newsletter+%23126

Frank
AnswerID: 594249

Follow Up By: K&FT - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 22:06

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 22:06
Fixed the link I hope

Stockton Beach Camping
FollowupID: 862592

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 22:25

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 22:25
If you find Stockton is not open, you might try Redhead / Blacksmiths.
Stockton would be so packed anyway, not a large camping area, and with new fees for Redhead / Blacksmiths, it might be quieter there (unless you're after the NYE crowds !!??).
AnswerID: 594250

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 01:08

Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 01:08
Dont forget your $33 a weekend pass if going to Redhead/Blacksmiths - 9m Beach.
FollowupID: 862596

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 10:19

Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 10:19
Yes Garry, why I suggested it, small price to pay to keep it a little quieter perhaps, and away from the bad elements that can go to Stockton.

The rubbish left behind from the great majority of Christmas / New Years campers is disgusting, and this is especially noticeable on beach camping areas and obviously in the majority those that are only accessible by 4WD.
We get this on all the Limestone Coast here in SA, right through from Beachport - Robe to Kingston and up the Coorong most notably.
We have seen old lounge suites, battered tents and ensuite tents, and just loads of general rubbish, as we drive back early in a New Year.

Most forums agree the fees seems high for Redhead / Blacksmiths on face value, but $88 a year for this beach (no ferry costs to island 4x4 etc) is reasonable, includes camping fee too.
I wonder how long it will be for Stockton fees to rise form their current level to a similar weekend / annual fee ?

Reading the OP again, he probably wants foreshore camping in the van anyway, so beach camping irrelevant.

Foreshore camping has been the bane of councils and local residents for a long time, and many places around the country, and there are areas where you just can't do it now.
You can probably blame the backpacker market a lot for this angst, the whole country has gradually become overrun with the camper type hire vans and little cars with RTTs now . . . again, it's not all, but probably the majority . . . they park up anywhere they like / can, as long as it's free, leave rubbish, scraps that attract ferals and harm native animals, defecate wherever they like / have to, wash in the ocean / local stream, use peoples taps in their front yard, some can be incredibly cocky, discourteous, and even aggressive in their actions.

Some places we love will either have access limited and fees, or they will be closed off.
I hate blanket bans, usually I think they should police it more and get the actual culprits, not punish all by closing something off, but when the majority do the damage, well, who can blame authorities for taking the easy way out.
FollowupID: 862604

Reply By: OBJ - Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 08:10

Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 08:10
Newcastle won't lose out as you might hope because your nose is out of joint because you can't camp there. They will save a stack on the cleanup. I've been there New Years Day and what they leave behind is a disgrace. Well done Newcastle Council and tough luck to the dirty bogans who treat it as a 'tip by the sea'. You reap as you sow. Suck it up, Roothy as well.
AnswerID: 594253

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 08:39

Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 08:39
Agree and now I wonder if they police it. Just a bunch of signs won't stop the hot heads with noses out of joint.

There seem to be more people, term used "tongue-in-cheek", who just don't give a rats and don't clean up after themselves. And what about the little girl a week or so back who walked on a hot fire (on Fraser I think) that had only been covered by a bit of sand.

Phil
FollowupID: 862601

Sponsored Links