The Cape

Hi All
Were planning on heading up to the Cape around June/July and were looking for recommendations on how long it will take and things to see and do, fuel stops, camps etc...
Well be driving the Patrol from the Central Coast to Cairns in approx 3 days, so we have more time up there. Well have approx 3 weeks.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kirk L - Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 15:01

Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 15:01
Go through Daintree and do Bloomfield track and stop and camp at Lions Den pub. Then out through Lakefield NP. Come back via Laura. Must do telegraph track on cape.
AnswerID: 594308

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 15:33

Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 15:33
Kirk, G'day, your comment, " Must do telegraph track" is a bit erroneous, it all depends on the level of experience the OP has and the set up he will be using. Certainly bits of OTT are must do's, the only way to get to some of the good bits, but not all of it. Would you advocate that every one travelling the Cape do Nolans, or Gunshot or Palm Creek? Cheers.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 862687

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 15:42

Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 15:42
Hi John. They don't say what their experience or capabilities are. It's up to them to decide what they are comfortable with. They don't say they are towing anything. Most places on the telegraph track have bypasses. I wouldn't recommend anyone do gunshot. I didn't because I deemed it too risky. I am simply suggesting some good things to see as they asked for. Cheers Kirk.
FollowupID: 862689

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 20:56

Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 20:56
You will have no problem entertaining yourself for 3 weeks (or 6 weeks) on the Cape, irrespective of your experience level.
Take a few days on Thursday, Friday and Horn Islands.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 594332

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 22:40

Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 22:40
Chippie,

You might do well to purchase Ron Moon's book "Cape York - Travel & Adventure Guide" available from the EO shop.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 594335

Follow Up By: Member - Chippie - Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 23:12

Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 23:12
thanks- got it
FollowupID: 862715

Reply By: Malcom M - Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 08:37

Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 08:37
Fuel etc isn't really an issue on the Cape. Generally you are never more than 200Km from a fuel supplier.
However if you are going to be adventurous and explore off the beaten track you will need to plan better.
The corrugations can be simply awful and take their toll on your truck. Best get a full service before you set off and make sure you are carrying plenty of spares, water and food plus recovery gear. Have a Telstra phone card as that's all that works up there, and if on your own, think about hiring a sat phone.
Our last trip cost us a cv, front shock, transfer case and steering rack. Things do go wrong and there's not always any passing traffic to help you out.
Had to wait 2 weeks in Weipa for parts and around 15% of the park occupants were in the same boat.
Make sure you have NRMA extended roadside assist as the RACQ will respond to that. Provided you can contact Bamaga or Weipa, you can be rescued... eventually.

As for things to do, well you lose 6 days in traveling there so you only have two weeks to explore. I think you'll only be seeing the mainstream stuff that is well documented everywhere.
As mentioned, over the Daintree, up the Bloomfield, on the main road at Laura, make a decision re OTT or bypass road (the OTT can be an easier, although slower, run than the main road), some national parks (have to pre book online), fruitbat falls, up to Bamaga/Seisha, do the tip and return.
Thats two weeks taken care of and then you can plan your return trip next year.
You can easily chew up a few months exploring up there if you are prepared to get off the beaten track.
AnswerID: 594351

Follow Up By: Member - Chippie - Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 17:23

Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 17:23
Thanks for the tips Malcom, time is our biggest enemy
FollowupID: 862748

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2016 at 23:13

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2016 at 23:13
G'day Chippie,

3 weeks is not a lot of time and picking some of the must do's will save travelling too fast. The Tip must be on every traveller's agenda and whilst there doing a Thursday Island trip is a must. You could spend your whole 3 weeks there and be happy but 3 or 4 days will be OK .Weipa for a couple days and Iron Range NP on the way back.Camp if you can at twin falls some time in Lakefield will just about take care of 3 weeks.

Remember it's about 1,000k from Cairns to the top and I have left out many Gems such as
Verilya Point and Cape Melville.

Remember it's not a race and you can come back and see some more later.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 594562

Sponsored Links