Oztent

Hi all
I'm buying an Oztent tomorrow , Just wanted to know does anyone have both the rv4 and rv5 and is there much difference ?
If im not wrong ... and i could be :) The rv4 tent is hard up against the frame ? , The rv5 has a small pull out bit at the back ? Would that make the rv4 better in the wind ? Because it would be less likely to pull a tent peg or shake in the wind because its against the frame ?
Any pros/cons
i like the idea of a slightly wider canopy area with the sides up
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Adam G3 - Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 18:58

Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 18:58
We bought an RV4 in 2011.
Considered the RV5, but thought it looked a bit big for us. The weird thing is, there is only 20cm difference. The RV5 is 20cm wider and 20cm deeper than the RV4. So there is really not much in it.

The RV4 has 40cm at the back that extends past the frame. (the small pull out bit at the back) This has no effect on the stability of the tent, just gives you a little more room.
I think the RV5 has 60cm at the back that extends past the frame, but not sure if that is exact.

Our RV4 is just big enough for 2 adults and 2 kids, all on self-inflating mattresses. We are happy with our choice. It is just the right size for us.

I think you just need to have a look at both of them set up, if you can, and pick the size that you like.

Oztent is a great design, with great build quality. It is the best tent I have ever had. They are truly storm-proof. We have slept in it through 8 hours of solid rain, in the blue mountains, in October. Totally warm and comfortable.
I know there are a lot of good tents out there, and I'm not trying to say mine is better than someone else's. Just that you won't be disappointed in your choice.
They are absolutely worth the purchase price.

I always peg and rope mine. Some people don't bother, and in fair weather you don't need to. But for the extra five minutes, I like the peace of mind that I won't have to get up if the weather changes.

I hope you enjoy your new tent. Good luck with your 20cm dilemma!

Adam
AnswerID: 594485

Follow Up By: Plexy M - Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 19:20

Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 19:20
Thanks for all that great info :)
I live in Tasmania so a good rain proof tent is a must for me
I dont think rays will let me put up both to have a look at :( I may go with the rv4 the rv5 might start to cut down on some of the smaller beach camp sites ...maybe
but i do like the extra 20cm width under the front ( inside the tent dosnt bother me ) , it dosnt sound like much, but when i have my esky and cooking stuff in there away from the possoms, rain etc. every bit helps
Thanks again
FollowupID: 862872

Follow Up By: Plexy M - Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 19:27

Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 19:27
One more question that may help me ,
If its been raining hard for days , can you touch the tent walls without it leaking ?
If say the tent is a bit undersized and the bedding is against the walls will it leak after a day or two ?
FollowupID: 862873

Follow Up By: Adam G3 - Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 19:59

Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 19:59
We have never had anything get wet inside the tent. I don't intentionally keep things away from the walls, but that may be sub-consciously drilled into me after years of nylon and old-school canvas - so maybe I'm doing it in my sleep.

I'd like to also mention that I always use the Oztent fly. The tent is waterproof on it's own, and the fly doesn't totally prevent it from getting wet anyway.
The fly provides a layer of insulation. This helps keep out the cold or the heat as needed. It also prevents condensation from becoming a problem. If the tent keeps 100% of the water out, then it also keeps the body heat & exhaled moisture in. If it's a cold night and you are warming the inside with body heat, this can create condensation on the inside of the roof. The fly creates an extra layer which minimises this.
Four people and a really cold night (by NSW standards) and the worst we got was a thin film of moisture on the inside of the roof.
The fly also allows you to sleep with windows partly open, even when it's raining.
If anything drips/drops onto the tent, it lands on the fly, not the canvas.
I think the fly is worth the money and the time to attach it. You can use a lot of the same pegs for the tent ropes and fly ropes, just by putting two ropes on each peg. After all, Oztents are supposed to be easy!
Just my thoughts, of course - not ranting.

The only water leak we ever had was not really in the tent. The front of the awning can be zipped to a front wall or a tag-a-long tent. In heavy rain, we get a bit of a drip through this zipper.
I can't fault them for that. It's a bit hard to waterproof a horizontal zipper running across the top of a tent awning. It's only a small drip, and it is actually outside the tent.

BCF have Oztent RV4 & RV5 videos on their youtube channel. Just go to youtube, search for BCF, then on the BCF channel, search for oztent. That might help to get a perspective on the size difference.

Regards,
Adam
FollowupID: 862876

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 05:49

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 05:49
A few thought from me re Oztent.
I have (just before Christmas) bought the RV1 as all of the others were too long to fit in the tub of the dual cab ute, and also too heavy for me to lift onto the roof racks.(I am sadly very newly widowed and plan on traveling by myself, and was looking for something which i can set up without help.) As it is only for me, there is plenty of space for me to sleep and put clothes etc inside. It isn't tall enough for me to stand up in, which is the only drawback.However to extend my living space when set up in bad weather or for more than overnight, i also bought the deluxe peak side walls and the front wall which zip onto the huge awning.I have since also invested in the ground sheet to fit this tent, so i have a floor on the front area.
The quality is excellent so although it is big and heavy (17 kgs...about the maximum I can lift and carry) I was happy to pay the cost. Look around online for the best deal as i saved a considerable amount by doing this and found Snowys to be the cheapest.
I tested it out over Christmas in a daughters back yard, and managed to set it all up by myself (very poorly the first time) on sloping ground, then slept in it with much of the gear i will travel with. There were tears the first time, but i pulled it all down the following day and tried again with much better results! (read the instructions too which helped). Its a big change from living in the 21ft van but at least I will have the freedom to go almost anywhere!
It did rain quite heavily but inside everything stayed dry. And yes, I used the ropes and pegs too, and made sure it was storm proof.
I considered buying the fly but thought it might be difficult for me to set up by myself so would welcome any comments regarding this. What do you think Adam? I am only 5'2" tall (or used to be..probably shorter these days) and mid 60's so not all that strong, however getting stronger each day as i have to do the jobs previously done by John.
regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 862896

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 07:25

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 07:25
Hi Heather

You will find the fly a very good investment and easy to put up by yourself.

I leave ours zipped to the front all the time and is easy to set up solo.

All the very best for 2016

Best regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 862898

Follow Up By: Adam G3 - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 08:59

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 08:59
Hi Heather,

I agree with Stephen - I think the fly is a good investment, and not difficult to use.

Stephen's idea of leaving it zipped on and packing it up with the tent also means you don't have to zip it on and off each time.
This is a popular strategy, and Oztent even have a youtube video showing them packing up a tent with the fly still attached.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheOztent/videos

Once it is zipped on, it is just two poles to lift the fly off the tent (I added a ridge pole - but I'm known for over-doing things) and 7 ropes/pegs. The 3 rear pegs can also be used to rope out the rear window if you wish. The 2 front ropes can use the same pegs as the front of the tent.

Adam
FollowupID: 862900

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 14:10

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 14:10
I have just bought an RV5 and love it.
I also leave the fly zipped on, easy to set up and pack.

Heather we found it takes a little practice to get the set up and particularly the pack up right.
Give it a few goes before hitting the road and you will get the hang of it.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 862911

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 14:53

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 14:53
Heather , John and Adam

Another useful tip when packing up. After many tries and some better than others, we now use this dead easy way of putting the tent back into the bag...one person style.

After the tent has been folded up and ready to put back into its bag, leave it where it is on the ground. Unzip the tent bag and place the bag over the tent, then roll the bag and tent over and zip up. Saves a lot of time lifting up the tent and trying to get it into the bag.

Happy Camping.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862912

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 15:06

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 15:06
Good idea Stephen, will try that method.
I found you must get the tent packed neat, straight and tight.
If it's not neat it can mean thicker, bulging bits of canvas can make it a hard fit in a relatively tight bag.

Overall it's a great tent.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 862913

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 15:09

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 15:09
Hey that is a great tip Stephen. Getting the tent into the bag is the hardest bit of packing up, and lifting it into the rear tub, over the tailgate, is the next hardest!
After reading the comments from you, John and Adam, I have ordered a fly for my tent and no doubt setting it up will cause me some confusion, as all the other bits have! (Yes I will watch the u-tube videos) I relied so much on John for all the practical, sensible things...he was one of those people who could solve almost any problem and I am quite the opposite! I had never even pegged down a tent and had not the faintest idea how to do the ropes until a daughter showed me how! I might be providing entertainment for the surrounding campers when I set up the first few times.
Still, I am learning so much every day, and am looking forward to the challenges of traveling and living in my new rig...I think!! I know that I am not ready to give it up and just have to think outside the square!
Unfortunately our van ( the one with everything which we had decided was the one we would keep forever) is waiting for warranty repairs to be done in March or April so I can't sell it and it is sitting under cover in the front yard. I might look at a small motorhome once it has sold but I can't do anything until it is fixed which is a pain.
Have also just booked my first overseas trip in August..50th anniversary commemoration of the Battle of Long Tan to Vietnam, 10 days duration. John was a Conscript or nasho...a Vietnam vet, although not sent there until some years later. However I digress...sorry!
Now I will probably be moderated for chit chat...ooops.

regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 862914

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 15:20

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2016 at 15:20
If you do struggle a little when on the road, I'm sure you will find a kind someone nearby to lend a hand if required.

Good on you for getting out there and giving it a go.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 862915

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 16:18

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 16:18
I needed to replace my RV4 Bag, and chose an RV5 bag. It's the same length and gives a bit more room for packing the tent.

cheers
Laurie
FollowupID: 863256

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 21:12

Monday, Jan 04, 2016 at 21:12
Hi Plexy

Further to Adams comments, we have owned the RV4 for over 8 years and it is by far the best ever tent that we have ever owned.

Prior to the RV4, we have owned many well know quality tents, all canvas and as much as we cured them for rain, they all seemed to have small annoying leaks in heavy rain. I tried waxing the seams and the only way to keep it dry was to use a polly tarp as a fly as that solved the problems.

One time up in Queensland, it rained very heavy and water seeped in through the floor and everything was as wet as in the morning, so its not much fun having to strip everything out of the tent to dry your sleeping gear.

Now back to the RV4.....

We had heard many good reports and wanted a good quality tent that would be 100% waterproof. After many went nights, we never had any issues, but one night over on Kangaroo Island, was the mother of all test. We rocked into the caravan park it it pouring with rain, asn we got totally drenched in just a few minutes of getting gear out of the car and setting up the tent.

The rain did not stop, in fact it just got harder as the night went on. Next morning, tents, caravans and campers were all cleaning up from 110mm of rain overnight. Inside the RV4 was as dry as when we set it up, with not one drop of water in the tent.

In fact there was that much water in the caravan park, many sites were under water during the night and our site was no exception. With a tell tale water/grass ring around the outside of the tent over 50mm above the ground level showed just how waterproof our tent was.

The only other advise that I would give is to always peg town the tent and use the supplied guy ropes. We never used them until another time up in Queensland when we were at Quilpie. A mini tornado hit the town when we were again setting up the tent.We had no warning and had to hold on for our life to the main front frame with such force, that we ended up making a nice big bow in it.

When I rand up when we were home to get a new from cross member, the first thing the very helpful man said was I bet you never had it pegged on our roped down. Since leaning from our own mistakes, we had never been caught out again and even in strong high winds, the tent is astable as anything.

Enjoy your new Oztent, it will be the best tent that you have ever owned.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 594489

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2016 at 13:00

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2016 at 13:00
Mum & Dad have/had an RV5 and given I've spent a lot of time traveling with them putting the OzTent up and down I can offer some advice...

Pros:

1. Plenty of room and height,
2. canvas is solid & waterproof,
3. good build*,
4."self erecting*"

* with limitation - see below

Cons:

1. we had a problem with the plastic corner joins cracking - however it has been well used - replaced them with metal corner brackets / nyloc bolts, and a bit of grinding/filing to smooth the corner so it didn't rub the canvas and it was as good as gold (and more solid than it was before) - corner bits do have a bit of flex

2. to put stretchers in end ways you really need to peg the back dorsal flap otherwise feet / stretcher will rub

3. for the larger RV's - don't believe the spiel that it's a one man job to erect - you need two - one to hold/pull the front while another slides the self locking arms on the side - also applies on the way down as well

4. while as some said above you can do with four corner pegs, however if you want to erect with the back lifted and include fly cover and front awning, then you're looking at at least 14 pegs... sort of defeats the self erecting do it in 5 mins spiel at the camper shows

also - they may have fixed this in later releases - the RV5 they got I suspect had an RV4 bag - that thing was one son of a b*cth to get back into the tent bag - Ma & Pa wound up getting a local upholsterer to extent and gusset the bag..

RV5 - loooong when folded and can be heavy - won't go inside vehicle and unless you're reasonably mobile - could be a hassle getting onto roofs... my father built a custom off-road trailer just to carry the Oztent and he has shoulder problems

Please don't take the cons as a negative, Mum & Dad loved theirs, and it was a great tent when up, however it's probably not ideal for quick one night stops...
AnswerID: 594535

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2016 at 14:28

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2016 at 14:28
I guess this is too late but also consider the Oztent Maverick as being lighter and more packable.

See the review at http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/camping-tents-and-swags/jettent-maverick-december-2015
AnswerID: 594543

Sponsored Links