Polyairs/coilrites

Submitted: Monday, May 24, 2004 at 21:08
ThreadID: 13131 Views:2966 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all just wondering if some one tell me the differnce between polyairs and coilrites do they both have different perposes any advantages or disadvantage between the two,also what increased height can they do?
any comments would be much appreciated

cheers paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 21:39

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 21:39
Paul,
I doubt whether anybody has actually used BOTH systems to be able to give you a direct comparison.
I use Polyairs and they are good at what they do......BUT.....they WILL NOT provide you with any additional lift above what your vehicle normally sits at.
What they are designed to do is to stop a certain amount of sag in your existing (or beefed up) suspension at those times when you load the back up with heaps of gear &/or a trailer or caravan.
I have seen the CoilRites in a shop and they look very similar to the polyairs, and I doubt whether there'd be much difference between them.
I know a bloke who uses Firestone air bellows in his dual cab ute and he seems to be able carry relatively huge loads (I saw him with a full pallet of garden edging blocks on it) and it sat almost at normal level. These bellows are the next level up from the more usual Polyairs or CoilRites.
Hope this helps a bit.
Cheers,
AnswerID: 59989

Follow Up By: rolande- Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 07:18

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 07:18
Roachie,
Off subject a bit. I was just wondering what the original setting was for your Koni shocks, ie, how many turns from bottom. Did you set this or was it done by the installer? Was it set taking into account extras or empty. Did you feel the ride was improved when unladen over standard shocks? Looking at a set of these but I don't know where to set them. I run an empty DX wagon most of the time. Any thoughts appreciated
Rolande
FollowupID: 321614

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 09:25

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 09:25
G'day Rolande,
Sorry, but I can't help you with that one.
The Konis were installed by Cooma Diesel (ARB dealer at that time)when the vehicle was only a couple of days old. I have no idea what setting they were on. I am aware they can be altered but despite trying to do so a few months ago (with them still on the vehicle, but with bottom mounting bolt removed) I couldn't work out how to alter.
I know you've got to fully compress them and turn at the same time, but I think it's a job that needs to be done at the bench, not whilst lying on your back in a gravel carport.
The only reason i was mucking around with them anyway was to see if they seemed okay. They have been oily to the touch since we came back from Cape York in mid-2002. So I figured if I removed the bottom retaining bolt (from the front left one as it happens), I might be able to gauge for myself whether they still seemed to have any resistence. It certainly did and was bloody hard to push in and pull out, so I tried the alteration bit (not knowing which way I should be turning it anyway) and it all got too hard, so I bolted it back on and went and had a cuppa & a bex.
Cheers,
FollowupID: 321629

Follow Up By: rolande- Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 18:44

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 18:44
Roachie,
Thanks for taking the time to reply, looks like I'll need to put them on and work it out for myself. Don't know if this will help, but I had a set on my old MK. My understanding of the adjustment is that you fully compress the shocker and turn until the key in the top half slides into the slot in the bottom half, like a normal keyway used in machinery. You then either turn clockwise or anti-clockwise to increase or decrease the resistence, not sure which way anymore but can find out if you like. The business that did my original suspension is still around and I am sure I could get the info for you. Thanks again for the reply
Rolande
FollowupID: 321830

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 09:03

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 09:03
Rolande,
No worries mate,
I'm quite happy with it the way it is, so don't go to any trouble on my behalf....

Cheers mate
FollowupID: 321956

Reply By: Member - Woodsy - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 07:53

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 07:53
Hi Pauly.

I have used both Polyairs and Coilrites. The Polyairs in my GQ 3l petrol and the Coilrites in my current GU 4.8l petrol.
I haven't found any major difference in operation. Both are great when I put extreme loads in the load bay and want to stop the rear sagging. Last week I carried over 300kg in the back and had the Coilrites pumped up to 26psi. Still ended up with a minor sag though. I had pumped the bags up before I went to pick up the load but was not able to add a bit more air when I put the 300+kg in as there was no compressor available. It takes a few uses to understand the correct pressure to run them at but sometimes I still don't get it perfectly right.
Without the air bags I would have had severe rear end sag and little steering and braking effect on the front wheels, quite dangerous.
Remember to let the bags down again (3 - 5psi minimum) after removing all of the weight in the back otherwise you will get a very FIRM ride.
Overall I am very happy with the Coilrites and the Polyairs were also good on the GQ.
The reason I purchased the Coilrites were:
1. I read an article on them and they sounded O.K.
2. They were easy to fit to the GU without having to remove the rear coils.

Use the air bags as intended and you will not be unhappy.

Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 60018

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 11:45

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 11:45
BTW Roachie, if you air-up the PolyAirs/CoilRights when unladden you WILL get an increase in ride height. I get about 25 - 35 mm lift at 28 psi with the cargo area empty.

I don't use this as "lift" for 4x4 though, as it makes the suspension very stiff - the opposite to what you want off-road.
FollowupID: 321646

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 13:17

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 13:17
Hi Woodsy,

When running the airbags at 3-5psi, do you notice a firmer ride at all compared to no airbags?

I am planning on installing airbags for when touring with van + load so I can adjust the suspension. I do not want heavy duty springs as a lot of time the vehicle is unloaded and used to and from work. Hopefully the airbags will be unnoticeable when not in use.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 321654

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 13:59

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 13:59
Roachie, my experience (with the PolyAirs is that at 3 - 5 psi there is no noticeable effect on ride.
FollowupID: 321662

Follow Up By: Pauly - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:41

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:41
G'day woodsy
thanks for the reply just wondering what is the max psi rating? also what kind of price range im i looking at (not installed)

cheers pauly
FollowupID: 321717

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:45

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:45
Sorry Captain - thought is was Roachie asking that Q.

Pauly, the PolyAir max is 30 psi. Price ranges from about $320 to $360 not fitted.
FollowupID: 321721

Follow Up By: rolande- Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 23:21

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 23:21
Woodsy,
Where did you get the coil rites from?? Approximate price etc. Very interested in getting a set but can't find any application info for the GU
Rolande
FollowupID: 322117

Reply By: ianmc - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 14:24

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 14:24
Bit off topic but someone mentioned it. Koni shocks are best adjusted off the truck
I think. Remove em then you will find a small hole in the top cover(tube).
Poke a small screwdriver down there & force out a rubber bush about 12mm thick & remove it.
You can then compress them fully home & while holding them compressed turn the bottom tube, not sure now whether left or right, & you will feel a few clicks.
You can find the lowest, softest setting then maybe notch it up carefully one or two
according to your needs or the condition of the shock.
Too far & its as hard as a rock. Pull it out & reinsert the bush & your away.
AnswerID: 60073

Reply By: Member - Woodsy - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 14:49

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 14:49
Hi Captain (WA)

I agree with Rohan K.

3 - 5 PSI does not appear to have much effect on the ride.
Some pressure is kept in the bags to keep their shape and stop them getting pinched in the springs.
Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 60079

Reply By: Member - Don (QLD) - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:22

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:22
G'day,
Can you guys tell me whether you fitted them yourselves or you got a dealer to fit them for you.i trying to figure it out wether theya are easy enough to install myself.
Any comment would be appreciated
Thanks
Don
AnswerID: 60135

Follow Up By: Pauly - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:43

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:43
G'day Don i have been told they are easier enough to install your self takes about 1 hour if you have the right work shop.

cheers pauly
FollowupID: 321718

Reply By: Member - Woodsy - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 09:07

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 09:07
Hi Rolande & Don

Tried to post a reply a while ago but I think I fluffed it up. So if there are two sorta similar replies I apologise.

Purchased my Coilrites from Toolern Engineering, Ph: 03 9746 1484.
Price was $355.30 inc delivery & GST in August 2002.
Model number was CR-4129
The Aussie importer is Airbag Man, Ph: 07 3889 6556.

Took me about 3 hours to fit as I didn't have a hoist or ramps and I was pretty pernickity about where I ran the airlines. I also made a simple stainless steel angle bracket to hold both of the airline fittings so that they were mounted together rather than the normal way of fitting them at each end of the rear bumper.
Installation is pretty simple and theer is no need to remove the rear coils, just jack each side up in turn to get maximum extension of the spring.
I am also 60+ and not so agile under the truck as I used to be.

Do it in one hour? Maybe with a hoist and everything ready and know what you are doing! Maybe then! But gee! Ya gotta stop for a cuppa every now and again and smell the roses! No! I am not retired but this crawling round on a cold driveway with dirt from under the truck falling on you ain't the fun it yoosda be!
Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 60560

Reply By: itldoo - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 01:09

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 01:09
The major difference between Polyair/Coil Rites, besides the colour of the bag. Polyair have been in Aust. longer than Coil Rites, I think. The air valves with polyair are a clamp & coil rites are have a screw fitting, the hose on polyair is more flexible than coil rites. But i would like to see a comparison with the same vehicle, with the same suspension fitted with either brand in the same situation to see which is better. The price difference is minimal between the two.
AnswerID: 63691

Sponsored Links