Offline Travel Mapping - Maps Me App

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 23:17
ThreadID: 131313 Views:2100 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.

I don't think this app has been posted on the Forum; if yes, I missed it.

We're just about to scoot to the Americas for a month and a friend put us on to these free offline maps with routing; working off your phone or tablet GPS.

When the app is downloaded it also downloads 'all of Oz' road mapping. Other countries, you need to download seperately.

We're using it instead of buying a stack more pricey maps from Tom Tom.

As far as I can tell it doesn't provide voice direction, but if you've got a passenger as navigator it doesn't much matter.

Maps Me App

Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 00:13

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 00:13
Thanks John, we also may need that this year.
Bon Voyage.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 594677

Reply By: Member - TonyV - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 00:24

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 00:24
Have a look at here.com similar to Google but you can download maps or country's that you want to visit.
It will give you voice guidance works on Windows, Android and Apple and its free...
AnswerID: 594678

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 10:03

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 10:03
It may be free but you have to open a Google Play accoutn with payment details and a lot of personal info that you may not want to spread around.

I just tried it and now I am trying to delete my here.com accopunt and also the Google Play one. I have no need for more damned internet accounts. As they say "Nothing is free!"

I think that I will just stay with Ozi. It suits us. If it ain't broke then why change.

Have a good day

Phil
FollowupID: 863232

Follow Up By: Member - TonyV - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 15:53

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 15:53
Phil,

Fair comment but off the original topic.

The App that John Bass had in his original thread (Maps.me) is from Google Play so the same thing applies there. All the other responses talk about mapping that comes via Google Play or Apple Store.

FollowupID: 863254

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 08:13

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 08:13
Hi John
I have recently used this app in France, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland.
I think they are great. Accurate, with street numbers and names and not needed to be connected to cellular or wifi, just gps.
In Dublin I needed a replacement camera card, I found the camera shop address in the hotel phone book and punched it in a 2k walk using the routing and arrived spot on.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 594681

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 09:05

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 09:05
Looks great, I could have used it on my recent Japan trip, I rented a pre paid SIM for $50 so I could use Google maps, so there you go. Its business case was valid for me and I'll get it thanks.

A word of caution though. It uses Open Street Maps as the map source ( which is free to use). This is like a map version of Wikipedia. Great for well used areas, but very inaccurate to the point of being dangerous in remote areas. It is user contribution, so not many travelers who are prepared to log gps tracks and update it means not many corrections or entries. As one of many examples, I recall recently there were about 50 serious errors in about 50 square kms of the High country, even missing main roads. Someone using it when the Licola fires were on recently, would have concluded that the only exit from Licola and North Licola was through the fires, when there are 3 other main road or track alternatives that have been there for at least 40 years.

It is the same map data that Mud Map used in their "the map" project. They gave up on that in version 3 for the reasons above according to their support page. ( though note the Android version still uses it and its abot $150 to go to version 3 when they bring it out)

I would say it looks great for the use you are anticipating, but it isn't a viable alternative for Australian off road mapping in remote areas. It would be folly to use it that way.

AnswerID: 594682

Reply By: Zippo - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 12:29

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 12:29
We have Maps Me on both our smartphones, but my personal preference is CityMaps2Go. Don't know if it is still a freebie, but it was when we installed it. Same deal, GPS-only based, D/L the maps for your state/region of interest. Mobile data based map-apps suck (data).

Although we travel with a couple of Garmin Nuvis (we always have a backup in remote areas) a smartphone mapping app is so handy to "look ahead" to your destination without having to disrupt the Nuvi from its normal mode.
AnswerID: 594686

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 12:37

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 12:37
Have had this a year or so, along with Mapout, they generally use the OSM (Open Street Maps) format, which is good for general use, even combined with other maps like Hema, they sometimes show tracks not on Hema.
I like the search and route functions on maps.me . . .
AnswerID: 594688

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 17:05

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 17:05
Another option is Navigator, which also uses OSM but also does voice navigation as well. Used it in the UK and worked well, especially for the price (free).

Cheers
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 594704

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 18:38

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 18:38
Hello John

Yes a good app - used it last year in Chile, Singapore and Melbourne - worked a treat. I did mention it in a exploroz thread mid last year but cant find it. Standalone navigators (Tom Toms, Nuvis etc) for average punters travelling around cities are redundant in my opinion.

Have a good trip.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 594708

Follow Up By: TomH - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 19:37

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 19:37
Well I dont know about that We have had two trips to USA and Canada. Bought a Tomtom on Amazon in Black Friday sale and sold it to another traveller when we got home for more than I paid On Second (unexpected) trip was lent a Garmin which also navigated us around USA & Canada again for 9000 miles without problems. Got us around New York, Washington and LA without problems and all places in between. Nice clear screens, spoken street names Gave alternatives when traffic was bad. Does your phone do all that? .
FollowupID: 863263

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 20:01

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 20:01
Hi

I did say "average punters travelling around cities". Didn't mean they were totally redundant for everyone, for all purposes. Obviously still a good market for purpose built in car Nav units.

One advantage of the many of the mapping apps for smartphones (some with spoken street names) is you can get free maps for any country you happen to be heading for. If you have a Tom Tom etc ...no such joy - you will need to purchase new map set for every new area you choose to visit. If you are only going there for a week or so hardly worth the cost. Appreciate a different story for different circumstances but if purpose street navigators disappeared off the face of the earth most travelers would get on fine.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 863268

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 22:00

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 22:00
Hi all.

Thanks for the responses. Some new stuff to me there.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 594717

Sponsored Links