Ultimate AGM deep cycle battery

Submitted: Monday, Jan 11, 2016 at 12:39
ThreadID: 131326 Views:7281 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello
Just wondering if anyone has fitted a UL110- VO Ultimate 12v 110 Ah N87 AGM deep cycle battery under the bonnet ?
It is claimed to be suited for under bonnet installation and warranted for 12 months as such.
Would appreciate any feed back on these units, and if they are a good unit.
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 00:30

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 00:30
before you belive what the salesman or the advertising department said ....An awfull lot of what is said and promised in the battery market is just BULL$#!^......... read the technical specifications ...... look for the operating temperature figures. ..... read the application notes or guidlines. .... if the battery company is reputable enough they will publish a chart of battery life V operating temperature.

Now the other question ...... who actually makes these batteries.

Oh if you are happy with a 12 month life ...... well and good ..... but a reputable AGM battery properly managed should last at least 5 years.

Personally I would not put any AGM battery under the bonnet ...... regardless you will reduce its life ..... you can almost certainly buy a reputable sealed maintenence free battery of similar performance for half the price.

look at marine or earthmoving batteries ....... Supercharge seamaster gold and Catapillar batteries have a good following.

cheers
AnswerID: 594809

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 09:35

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 09:35
Have had an Optimum 80ah under the bonnet as a crank battery for 4 1/2 years spending most of the time in very hot places 40+ deg in the NT and it is still going strong with no sign of giving up.... and I hope to get at least another 4 years out of it.

I have 6 cars up here at the moment 4 have maintenance free battery's 2 with AGM. only 2 start every week without a jump start guess which ones. Maintenance free are useless only last 6 months and die....Saying that they do not get looked after very well either. Left flat for a day or so before charging (key not turn off) a AGM will take the rough use a bit better...just my thoughts

Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 863363

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 00:23

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 00:23
We muct be carefull to compare aples with apples ...... there are AGM batteries that are properly designed to deal with under bonnet temperatures ..... but they are a minority.

As for sealed maintenence free batteries ....... at the bottom of the market they are only a little better than the cheapest old school screw top batteries they are a price point item..... at the top of the market they are rugged construction batteries constructed very similar to AGM and using all of the technologies that allow AGM to exist ..... but they have a full load of electrolite ...... this enables them to withstand the higher temperatures and withstand some electrolite loss during their life. ..... they will be half the price of AGM and have similar performance and similar life span.

cheers
FollowupID: 863412

Reply By: Slow one - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 12:03

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 12:03
Flighty, also have a look at ssb batteries. They make under bonnet AGM start/deep cycle batteries for all applications and are warranted from between 36 and 42 months depending on the battery you choose.

They appear to deliver the goods from other user reports and here is a link to Batteries Direct who are a reseller.

SSB Battery
AnswerID: 594828

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 12:45

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 12:45
Thanks for your input slow one, definitely worth looking at and 36 month warranty is certainly a big plus on them.
As for the armchair expert above, it seems other manufacturers do make this type of battery also.
Funny how the Ultimate unit which I looked is suited for under bonnet AND aircraft application as well
I think that it must be okay to pass in what I think would be very stringent requirements in aircraft usage.
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 594832

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 15:25

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 15:25
Yep, battery technology is changing very rapidly and I believe it will keep changing for awhile yet with new internal construction methods, venting, cooling and metals and electrolytes.

I see they have even trialed a Lithium-oxygen battery that is touted as one fifth and a fifth the cost that puts out bulk horsepower.

That is also a nice looking rig in your photo.
FollowupID: 863383

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 00:51

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 00:51
Flighty ....Call me an armchair expert if you like ......I have been trained and have worked with batteries large and small all my working life ..... currently I work with batteries of some sort nearly every day......... You on the other have have no idea, otherwise you would not be asking advice on an internet forum .......... obviously did not read and understand the sensible advice I gave. ....... Did I not say to check the specifications, in particular the operating temperature range ..... Did I not say to check the manufacturers applications information.

There are way more battery brands than there are manufacturers ..... and there has been several cases of people being prosecuted for making false and misleading claims about AGM batteries both in the US and here in Australia.

There are AGM batteries designed, specified and suited for under bonnet use ..... if you have money to waste. ...... it is my view that AGM is significantly oversold and offers no advantage in many situations it is sold into. ....... but a lot of people just don't want to hear that.

As far as a 12 month warranty ..... that is no more than required by consumer legeslation ...... a 36 month warranty on a battery if the terms are reasonable ..... is certainly worth consideration.

As for being suited for aircraft applications ....... big deal ..... aircraft and certain marine applications are a couple of the few, totally appropriate applications for AGM.
As for the requirements being stringent ......... show me those stringent requirements ....... it will be little more than a requirement for a Valve regulated nonspillable battery ............. You may be surprised how mundane many of the requirements for light aviation are.

cheers
FollowupID: 863415

Follow Up By: Flighty ( WA ) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 10:44

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 10:44
Bantam
As the question in original post states, I asked if anyone has one of these batteries installed under the bonnet and that person view of that battery.
I don't require a full on assault and barrage on performance "v" temperature and all that rubbish, a simple opinion is all that was asked okay.
Replies from Andy in NT in that climate shows that they perform well, and Slow one has suggested an alternative unit that offers good performance and decent warranty
Both replies are very helpful and answer the question I have asked, I am an expert in my field of employment and keep that to myself ,this forum has many experts in their chosen fields and most offer good sensible advice to people asking these types of questions here to further enhance their knowledge on many different subjects.
As to specifications and applications information from manufacturers, things are expensive enough nowadays be it a battery or fuse to put in an electrical circuit without the added expense of a book printed to explain how to use it, hence the purpose of forums like this one where a person can ask a simple question and get a simple answer rather than a full on barrage of dribble and rubbish.
If you have one of these units fitted in your vehicle, I would appreciate your opinions on it, If on the other hand you don't have one fitted then suitable opinions on others is appreciated as others have suggested.
If you want to hand out a lecture and dribble on then give it to someone else cos I am not interested in dribble.
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 863444

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Friday, Jan 15, 2016 at 00:29

Friday, Jan 15, 2016 at 00:29
So a sensible recommendation to check temperature specifications is dribble and rubbish ....temperature specification is THE single most helpfull piece of information you can have in determining if a battery is suitable for under bonnet use........... ya just can't help some people.

Most of the people who have been disapointed at the performance and lifespan of AGM batteries underbonnet, ( and there are many) could have saved themselves a lot of money and trouble by checking the temperature specifcations and manufacturer application notes of that particular battery.

The internet is a wonderfull place ...... if you can be bothered, most reputable manuafcturers have their documentation available on line........ if you have a simple question and want a simple answer ..... you will get far better quality information by consulting the manufacturers on line documentation or making an email enquiry direct to the manufacturer. .,.. rather than relying on unqualified hearsay evidence from an internet forum.

What is conspicuous to me about Ultimate Batteries ..... apart from the presumptuous name ..... is the difficulty of accessing a manufacturers home web site or any meaningfull specifcations on line.

Hardly surprising for a cheap battery that from what I have been able to establish is made in India

...... compare that with Fullriver, from China .... a known reputable manufacture of reasonable priced AGM batteries ........ who's home web site pops up at the top of the search rankings and takes 3 clicks to get to a meaningfull spec sheet for an individual battery ... that looks like this ....

http://www.fullriverbattery.com/product/batteries/DC105-12 ......

another 2 clicks and you get a more comprehensive spec sheet like this

http://resources.fullriverbattery.com/fullriver-battery/spec-sheets/DC105-12.pdf

....... Not the most comprehensive spec sheets in the business ..... but what you would expect from any respectable manufacturer of AGM batteries ....

You will note that while they don't give a service live V temperature chart only a few do...... they state a recomended maximum service temperature of 50C and an absolute maximum service temperature of 70C. for their DC series batteries ......... this will give you an indication that you are likley to get a reduced battery life in higher temperatures.

All that Ultimate say is that their 12 month warranty is unaffected by underbonnet installation ....... well ...... that tells you pretty much nothing ........ because you would expect at least 4 years pluss out of any decent AGM ........ if it dies after a year or so ..... its out of warranty ....... it is exactly this sort of time period that people are complaining of experiencing failures in their not specifically designed for under bonnet use AGMs

I would not spend the sort of money they want for a premium battery like AGM if they could not provide a decent spec sheet

As for the purpose of forums ....... internet forums are intended for discussion ..... they are ...... "Forums"..... not a help desk ....... not your personal private question and answer service.

If you adjust your narrow minded and selfish attitude you may find there is a great deal to learn from internet forums.

cheers
FollowupID: 863506

Sponsored Links