Replacement TPMS Sensors

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 15:16
ThreadID: 131341 Views:2712 Replies:3 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all those technically inclined.

I've got a TPMS sensor running out of battery life and need to source a replacement unit, and will need more in time. Having purchased a TPMS kit that displays the outputs through my aftermarket multimedia unit in the 4WD (uses 433.92 Mhz frequency) I now cannot get replacement internal sensor units from the supplier I bought the kit from several years ago. Yes they are still in business, they just don't have the TPMS kit anymore and don't plan on producing more kits in the future. A few emails back and forth was no help as they couldn't even provide me with the OEM supplier details for a direct approach!!!

Having exhausted my internet research for potential alternatives I've hit a bit of a brick wall. There are a lot of aftermarket suppliers that can provide replacement sensors for lots of vehicles by brand name that will work with OEM software, but nothing of a more generic application. Some claim they produce aftermarket sensors in a wide re-learning format that can be used with brand name/type vehicles. My dilemma is, will they work with my "non-specific" Chinese knock off?

I would like to hear from anyone who has been able to find replacement TPMS internal sensor units at a half decent price that would be compatible with my system (if possibly available) and/or some advice on the compatibility of the various re-learning replacement sensor units available on the internet for my Chinese monitoring software? Is the TPMS software and sensor interface a unique bit of computer programming or is it far more generic and simple than I'm thinking it is at this time? Will appreciate any useful advice to these two queries from people monitoring this forum.

I thought I would try here before I give up on the current TPMS I have and I'm forced to get something else with a separate screen (which I wanted to avoid in the first instance!!). Hope someone can help.

Cheers

Rob K
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 16:50

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 16:50
I suspect from your description that you got hem from a truck and tyre company in Vic. if so they distributed the S&T TPMS SATE

The unit was quite good but you can not replace the batteries. I got 1 set for about $30 USD ea then
gave up. The models shown on the web site are all internal but they did make external ( look at the bus ones)

I doubt that one brand of sensor will fit another reciever.

If you are stuck, look at the ones Derek sells at ABR sidewinder.
AnswerID: 594846

Reply By: Member - G.T. - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 18:05

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 18:05
I`m sorry that my reply does not address your immediate problem, buying another brand may be the only way to go.
However ---- do you need a TPMS ? I have just completed a two and a half year trip around Oz towing a caravan with out a TPMS and with out any dramas. It may be said that I was lucky not to get any punctures, but I feel that many people would have had the same experience as I have had. YMMV Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 594850

Follow Up By: Member - Robert1660 - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 20:05

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 20:05
Hi GT,
I pleased to hear that you did not have an issue, however once you do you are able appreciate the value of a TPMS. We had a bearing collapse on the campertrailer near Norseman. Without a following vehicle warning us that the driverside wheel was glowing orange, because of the collapsed bearing allowing the brake drum to rub on the brake lining, I am not sure what would have happened. Since then I have purchased a SensaTire system which had it been installed at the time should have detected an increase in temperature and the associated pressure before significant damage was done.
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 863394

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 20:06

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 20:06
Hmmm must have travelled the Anne Beadel, three damaged tyres on vehicles during out trip.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 863395

Follow Up By: Hewy54 - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 20:55

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 20:55
If you stick to the highway you may get lucky, not have a puncture and if you do, you will be able to pick it quickly. If you get off road the chance of a puncture increases and it gets harder to pick it quickly before damage is done.
I would not be without my TPMS - a simple <$200 insurance to save a $300 tyre. Only needs to save you once.
FollowupID: 863401

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 21:21

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 21:21
Hi HKB

Can I ask how you managed to damage the tyres on the Anne Beadell?

How fast were you travelling? What tyre pressures were you running? Did you run off the track and damages the tyres that way?

Having driven the Anne Beadell a good number of times and never having any tyre issues, I would just be interested to hear how and what happened.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 863404

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 21:55

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 21:55
Lime stone is a killer of tyres, you know the screwdrivers with the phillips head one end and the flat the other, well one of the group ended up with one of those through his tyre. Second person had cut side wall due to limestone outcrop, third also caught out by sharp limstone rock.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 863405

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 21:58

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 21:58
Sorry forgot to add tyre pressures were around the low 20's for the server corrigations and soft sand, speed around 70Kmh - 80Kmh again to float the corrigations and try and keep things as cool as possible.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 863406

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 22:23

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 22:23
Thanks for that HKB

You use higher pressures than me and almost double the speed.

I usually run 18psi, stop all the time and usually travel around the 30-40 kph speed.

For those limestone sections in the far western parts of SA, I usualy just craw over them for the unexpected.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 863407

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 08:52

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 08:52
Time constraints of others were the issue, I would have taken two to three times longer to do the trip if I could have and enjoyed the scenery. We did crawl the limestone sections etc.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 863435

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 09:03

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 09:03
Yes it's a great drive indeed.

The only other time I have ever heard of someone getting a puncture along there was one chap was not paying attention, ran off the track and a nice mulga stump ruined his nice new BFG tyre.

As for the screwdriver, that can happen anywhere. On one of our trips, one of my group members had the very same problem near Kintore, nice wide firm track and pulled up as he kept on hearing a loud band from the back of his car. Turned out a screwdriver was picked up and banging as the tyre went round. Out with the screwdriver and in with a plug and we were on our way.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 863436

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 20:16

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 20:16
Its not just the frequency that is the issue, different manufactures may use different signally systems and codes so it would be hit and miss.

I'm assuming they are internal types, it may be possible to change the batteries in the ones you have, it probably won't be easy but it can be done if your deperate.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 594856

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 20:19

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 20:19
Wow!!!!!!

I had an editing function presented to me and it worked! though having to copy and paste was note what I expected but love that I could edit out my spelling mistakes:)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 863396

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 20:21

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 20:21
Bummer only let me edit the first entry, so can't edit the note to not:(, still better than none at all.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 863397

Sponsored Links