On Board Compressor

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 00:45
ThreadID: 131381 Views:2999 Replies:12 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking of an on board compressor with the tank under the tray and the compressor in the canopy or in a box also under the tray. Question is what size tank to use. Have a pretty good compressor which I will use to start with & upgrade if necessary. Again looking for recommendations
How good are the kits & made up units available on eBay? Bill .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 08:08

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 08:08
hi Bill
I just bought a Big Thumper compressor , to reduce the amount of stuff you have to find room for
when packing , I mounted it on a bracket high up on the hurdle an plumbed the hose around to the L/F corner of the tray inside with a snap coupling
out of the road .
AnswerID: 595044

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 08:15

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 08:15
The answer to the size of the tank is " as large as you can fit, and afford".

A tank will slightly reduce tyre inflation times, but not as much as you think unless you have a big tank.

Also if you compressor runs at 150PSI, then the tank will store twice as much air as if your compressor cuts out at 80PSI.

There is one company called Air on board who sell on ebay and their own website, they have good stuff.

AnswerID: 595046

Follow Up By: Member - bill f (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 00:01

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 00:01
Will check them out. Current compressor runs at 140 psi so should be enough.
FollowupID: 863766

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 08:58

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 08:58
Hi Bill,

Just make sure that you can get to the tank easy so you can drain it. I have an aluminium tank so no rusting out but still needs to be drained once a week. You can get tanks on ebay and plumb them yourself. ARB sell a cut off switch stops at 110psi and restarts at 85psi and screws into the tank so you don't have to worry about what psi is in the tank, just one switch to the power. Tank size??? as big as will fit....

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 595051

Reply By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 09:44

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 09:44
Use to have an AOB motor driven compressor and that was awesome. Now getting a D-Max and a motor driven one will not fit. Building a toolbox behind the cab which will house my main spare and an ARB twin motor compressor. I will use the under tray spare as my second spare (which I have never had to use) and air tank. With a pressure switch which cuts in at 85 psi and cuts out at about 110 psi. Outlet on both sides of the tray. Using the spare gives you a huge tank which enables you to use air tools and an air blower for blowing out dust. I pumps up tyres really fast too. It also saves weight as I always carry 2 spares.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 595053

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 11:23

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 11:23
My biggest beef with the off the shelf air tanks sold for the 4wd market is, where the inlets, outlets ,mounting facilities and most of all drain taps are .... or arent.

It may be better and cheaper to but a cheap 240V compressor and strip everything off the tank.

you can then plug up what holes you don't need, cut off what brackets you don't need and still end up with a better tank.

Depending on how you feel about it ..... you may even use the pressure switch that comes with the compressor ..... and it will have a one way valve and possibly a decompression valve that makes it easier for the compressor to start.

Another option is an air tank off a small truck or trailer that has air brakes ..... these can be had from truck wreckers or brand new from diesel spares shops.

AnswerID: 595067

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 12:34

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 12:34
I would also go alloy I've had 2 steel tanks and still using one but with the moisture up here in the tropics they always get rust in them. I have a pressure release valve on the bottom of the tank to drain it plus for safety. My current tank is from Air on board it's 18 lts and has 6 outlets which I wanted. I'm running a 72 lpm Bushranger compressor but the tank it is a bit large for the compressor my smaller tank was 6 - 8 lts which suited it better. I will be running a second compressor some time which should work out better.
AnswerID: 595069

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 14:47

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 14:47
If you cant fit an engine driven compressor, check out the Big Boss Pro electric.

OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 595079

Reply By: Malcom M - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 07:35

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 07:35
Hi Bill

Suggest you have a look at the smallest 240v compressor that Supercheap sell. Its around $60 when they have a sale and has everything you need to equip your truck - 8 liter tank, pressure switches, outlet couplings etc etc.

Remove its motor, feed your compressor into the tank and you have it all.
AnswerID: 595103

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 14:12

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 14:12
Thinking outside the box. What would be the problem of using a 240v compressor on an RV through an inverter? The one mentioned has a 1 HP (760 watt) motor.
A caution says
"Never connect to a generator which does not produce sufficient power, at least
1500W and has pure sine wave power output."
so I would think an inverter that meets that should be OK.
Would it be an economical proposition, both electrical and cost wise?
FollowupID: 863732

Follow Up By: Batt's - Friday, Jan 22, 2016 at 18:09

Friday, Jan 22, 2016 at 18:09
No it would be much much simpler to buy a 12v compressor.
FollowupID: 863937

Reply By: Malcom M - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 07:36

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 07:36
A lot of people use old fire extinguishers as tanks. Google that one
AnswerID: 595104

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 11:03

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 11:03
I run a ARB twin compressor ( inside canopy ) feeding a 10 litre tank ( under body ) The tank was purchased complete with relief valve and outlet fitted, it does the job well.
Used to run an ARB single unit but with only 50 % duty cycle, it wasn't a good combination at all, but fitting the twin unit proved a blessing as I can now use air tools ( Sparingly of course )
Suggest if you opt for a similar system that you use 10 mm tubing to feed the tank, to prevent heat build up at compressor to the tubing, I used to have 8 mm tubing and it caused a few problems heating up and "popping" a hole in tubing occasionally.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 595108

Reply By: Old dog - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 12:00

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 12:00
G'day Bill, it's the old dog here. I don't know much about your compressor, I have one of those ARB under bonnet things but I do know this; get yourself some stainless braded hose even though it's costly. The cheap stuff ARB put on keeps blowing just outside the compressor outlet because of the heat they produce. I've bought good hose now so there's no more trouble.
Keep exploring.
Old Dog
AnswerID: 595109

Reply By: Member - abqaiq - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 14:08

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 14:08
I have a twin set of cheap compressors and a 5 gal aluminum tank in/under the Troopy. I made an engine driven rig on our 80 series in Saudi where I used a DC fire extinguisher as a tank, worked great. No room under the Troopy hood for anything much. I was looking at my current set up yesterday wishing for a Boss 06. The best compressor would be a Boss brand 06/07 {~250$ and up] as they are rated for continuous operation, way out run the others - IMO.
No connection to Boss, blah, blah
AnswerID: 595114

Sponsored Links