Snorkel for Cape York?

Submitted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 10:50
ThreadID: 13140 Views:5992 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
We are heading for Cape York in mid July in a 99 Jackaroo SE V6.
It is intended to go one way via OTL - but we have been given conflicting info as to whether a snorkel would be essential. Most info I read puts it in the "desireable" area rather than "essential". Others say it is not needed.

Can anyone tell me who has travelled to the Cape what the position is regarding having a snorkel,

Thanks
Willy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Moffy - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 13:36

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 13:36
Willykj,

I went July last year - my vehicle (93 GQ Patrol Coil Cab Ute) has a snorkel and my Uncle's vehicle (discovery wagon) didn't.

With snorkel - i had no issues at all with the water crossings and for the large part neither did my uncle, but there were one or two where it was close call for him.

and on one occasion, he found that his air filter had got a splash (filter was wet on intake side), but thankfully not enough water got in to go past the filter or cause any damage.

you could do it without a snorkel (fitting a tarp as a blind etc) but for mine - i'd get a snorkel and then you have one less thing to worry about.

another thing to consider is we had a good wet this year (i'm in cairns) and the rivers are likely to be still quite high in July compared to when i went last year.

AnswerID: 60064

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 13:40

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 13:40
Mate - heaps of vehicles have been to Cape York without a snorkel and have come back without problems (including me - 3 times, 3 different vehicles, none with snorkel). A snorkel is not essential, no matter what anyone tells you.
AnswerID: 60065

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 13:46

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 13:46
Hi Willy,

I did CY in June of what was considered to be a fairly wet year. I was travelling in a petrol SWB Pajero although our included a mix of petrol and diesel Patrols, Hilux's and Range Rovers. None were fitted with snorkels and none experienced any water related problems. We all fitted blinds to the front of the vehicles when required and this seemed t be effective. Actually, I can't recall needing blinds anywhere on the Cape itself but certainly on the return leg along the CREB track.
FYI, we travelled up the OTL and back via the Development Rd with detours out to Jardine River mouth, Usher Pt, Capt Billy Landing, Port Stewart and Lakefield.

If you're interested, you can read our trip journal here:
Cape York

Hope my comments are of some help.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 60066

Follow Up By: Rosscoe - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 16:07

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 16:07
Melissa,

Did any or all of the vehicles have extend breather hoses for diffs and gearboxes?
FollowupID: 321677

Reply By: Member - Peter D M - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 18:40

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 18:40
willy, i did the cape in may june 2001, a wet year in my v6 rodeo. with a bridge over the wenlock the only time i used a blind was on the creb track, the only other spot you might need one and not in july would be in taking frenchmans track over the wenlock. worth the effort to extend your diff breathers if they are as short as on a rodeo. enjoy the trip and try for the creb at least one way.
regards peter
AnswerID: 60107

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:21

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:21
Been said before but 300 odd bucks is pretty cheap and good insurance for the hastles you could encounter without one.Plus you get the benifit of nice clean air fed into your motor.Seen first hand the differance a snorkel makes to your air filter in dusty conditions.
AnswerID: 60134

Reply By: Leroy - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:59

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:59
I did the cape last year and I didn't have a Snorkle and I was in a Rodeo that was quite low once loaded. I used a blind if I wasn't sure to be on the safe side. I also don't think it makes much difference w.r.t. getting clean air into the engine. I was prepared with spare air cleaner and oil to clean a finer filter and didn't clean or change once. Just don't drive up the rear of the car in front!

Leroy
AnswerID: 60145

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:06

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:06
A snorkle is definitely not essential up here common sense will see you thru most water crossings maybe with the help of a blind. Most of us up here don't have snorkles so much for water crossings but to let our engines breath cleaner air in dusty conditions. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 60149

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:15

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:15
As said above good tarp work if you dont want to fork out the bucks for a snorkel.
I still tarp up on deep crossings and I have a snorkel.

Have A good one
Eric
CyC
www.capeyorkconnections.com.au
AnswerID: 60152

Sponsored Links